Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 03:26:17 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Tim Draper to Do Press Conference about Winning Silk Road Auction 2pm PST  (Read 4712 times)
sgbett
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1087

View Profile
July 02, 2014, 09:27:20 PM

Million dollar question: "How much did you pay?"

"A purely peer-to-peer version of electronic cash would allow online payments to be sent directly from one party to another without going through a financial institution" - Satoshi Nakamoto
*my posts are not investment advice*
criptix
Legendary

Activity: 2464
Merit: 1145

View Profile
July 02, 2014, 09:27:25 PM

Can anyone summarize as this is the worst stream i have ever seen. Plays for 5 seconds and then blocked for a few minutes and then plays 5 seconds.
Same here.  I have to refresh every 10 seconds, not worth watching.  So far Draper didn't look knowledgeable to be honest.  Guess he just looks at the macroscale and depends on other people to figure out how bitcoin works.

agree, as far as i understand, his son is the real bitcoin believer, tim darper got this idea from his son

█████
                    ██████
                   ██████
                  ██████
                 ██████
                ██████
               ██████
              ██████
             ██████
            ██████
           ██████
          ██████
         ██████
        ██████    ██████████████████▄
       ██████     ███████████████████
      ██████                   █████
  ██████
 ███████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████
 ████████████████████████████████████

█████
                     ██████
                    ██████
                   ██████
                  ██████
                 ████████████████████
                 ▀██████████████████▀
.LATTICE - A New Paradigm of Decentralized Finance.

▄▄████
              ▄▄████████▌
         ▄▄█████████▀███
    ▄▄██████████▀▀ ▄███▌
▄████████████▀▀  ▄█████
▀▀▀███████▀   ▄███████▌
      ██    ▄█████████
       █  ▄██████████▌
       █  ███████████
       █ ██▀ ▀██████▌
       ██▀     ▀████
                 ▀█▌

▄████▄▄   ▄
█▄          ██████████▀▄
███        ███████████▀
▐████▄     ██████████▌
▄▄██████▄▄▄▄█████████▌
▀████████████████████
  ▀█████████████████
  ▄▄███████████████
   ▀█████████████▀
    ▄▄█████████▀
▀▀██████████▀
    ▀▀▀▀▀
sgbett
Legendary

View Profile
July 02, 2014, 09:27:38 PM

"Refuses to answer"

"A purely peer-to-peer version of electronic cash would allow online payments to be sent directly from one party to another without going through a financial institution" - Satoshi Nakamoto
derpinheimer
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 02, 2014, 09:27:49 PM

Q: "How much did you pay"

A: "more than the other bidders"
wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
July 02, 2014, 09:29:21 PM

Thanks sgbett, I appreciate the running commentary Smiley
sgbett
Legendary

View Profile
July 02, 2014, 09:29:31 PM

Opens floor to Q from press...

Mumbled question - probably which countries you targeting?

A: "Argentina, Turkey, Isreal"

Raystonn

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 02, 2014, 09:29:39 PM

He won't say what he paid at this auction.  "More than anyone else at the auction."
wachtwoord
Legendary

View Profile
July 02, 2014, 09:29:58 PM

The should ask WHY he refuses to disclose that.
sgbett
Legendary

View Profile
July 02, 2014, 09:30:52 PM

Draper: "Talking about retail businesses that take cash suffering from hyper inflation being a primary target, as they can avoid instant devaluation of cash they are taking. Hotels being a main target"

sgbett
Legendary

View Profile
July 02, 2014, 09:31:22 PM
Last edit: July 02, 2014, 09:56:54 PM by sgbett

Chris C from pando: Further pressure to reveal price paid.

sgbett
Legendary

View Profile
July 02, 2014, 09:32:58 PM
Last edit: July 02, 2014, 09:57:21 PM by sgbett

Draper: More avoiding issue. They were keen to get a big piece of coin so bid high. Speculates on it being worth much more or much less then price today in 5 years.

Its a long term investment, he is "putting BTC to good use" suggesting that he is increasing penetration of BTC around world

Investment based on ideas 6 months ago

sgbett
Legendary

View Profile
July 02, 2014, 09:33:34 PM

Q: "Are you looking for more BTC"

A: "Probably not at this time, they have enough for this use, but aren't ruling it out"

twiifm

Activity: 784
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 02, 2014, 09:34:18 PM

Draper: "Anecdote about 2 iranians, who built business in Iran but left during a revolution, had to start over. Bitcoin allows people like that to avoid repercussions of revolutions. BTC is safer than fiat."

Draper Jr: "Instability of bitcoin is US centric view. Stability is relative. In other countries it could be considered more stable than local currency"

Easy solution.  Keep some money in USD in US bank account

sgbett
Legendary

View Profile
July 02, 2014, 09:34:47 PM

Q: "Have you used BTC personally"

A: "Yes via bitcoin ATM I bought the 'old money' with it. Promotion of Snap Card / Atlas Card"

wachtwoord
Legendary

View Profile
July 02, 2014, 09:35:01 PM

Draper: "Anecdote about 2 iranians, who built business in Iran but left during a revolution, had to start over. Bitcoin allows people like that to avoid repercussions of revolutions. BTC is safer than fiat."

Draper Jr: "Instability of bitcoin is US centric view. Stability is relative. In other countries it could be considered more stable than local currency"

Would you trust a US bank?
sgbett
Legendary

View Profile
July 02, 2014, 09:35:45 PM

Have you tried getting a US bank account? I have I'm not a US citizen I'm in UK, they won't touch me. I hardly think they are going to welcome iranians with open arms.

sgbett
Legendary

View Profile
July 02, 2014, 09:36:30 PM

Q: "How do you feel about transaction fees"

A: "Great because they are so much lower. This transaction went with zero fees! (his words!)"

sgbett
Legendary

View Profile
July 02, 2014, 09:38:15 PM

Q: "How do you feel about chargebacks / consumer protection"

A: "Suggests consumer protection currently worse because of chargebacks. BTC is liberating the consumer. There are lots of companies (crowdcurity mentioned twice) working on consumer protection. Lots of room for startups in this area. Looking for applicants. Atlas Card pushed again"

twiifm

Activity: 784
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 02, 2014, 09:39:09 PM

Have you tried getting a US bank account? I have I'm not a US citizen I'm in UK, they won't touch me. I hardly think they are going to welcome iranians with open arms.

Just use HSBC  they have branches everywhere

I'm American and I have a Japanese bank account
wachtwoord
Legendary

View Profile
July 02, 2014, 09:40:51 PM

Just use HSBC  they have branches everywhere

I'm American and I have a Japanese bank account

But they won't allow you to have a USD account without paying high fees. Anyway, every country's currency sucks so it doesn't help much anyway.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: