Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 10:47:14 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Weekly MACD now officially Green - first time since January  (Read 2256 times)
Raystonn (OP)

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 03, 2014, 03:25:48 AM

It finally closed the week green.
RyNinDaCleM
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1009

Legen -wait for it- dary

View Profile
July 03, 2014, 03:32:03 AM

It closed green on the 22nd of June! Where were you?  Cheesy

Raystonn (OP)

View Profile
July 03, 2014, 06:07:18 AM

It closed green on the 22nd of June! Where were you?  Cheesy

Uh, no.  In fact, that date is mid-week on the bitcoinwisdom chart.  It's not even a closing date for any weekly candle.
Wandererfromthenorth

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 03, 2014, 07:18:38 AM

In fact it closed green for the first time on June the 12th, but it turned red right after.

Are you talking about the Bitstamp chart? because I see two green weekly candles now.
oda.krell
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1007

View Profile
July 03, 2014, 08:00:56 AM

In fact it closed green for the first time on June the 12th, but it turned red right after.

Are you talking about the Bitstamp chart? because I see two green weekly candles now.

That's not what 'closed' means, at least not in the common terminology.

EDIT: and you see two green candles because, as Raystonn pointed out, we closed last week's candle in green, and the current week's candle (not closed yet) is green as well.

Not sure which Bitcoin wallet you should use? Get Electrum!
Electrum is an open-source lightweight client: fast, user friendly, and 100% secure.
Download the source or executables for Windows/OSX/Linux/Android from, and only from, the official Electrum homepage.
zimmah
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1005

View Profile
July 03, 2014, 08:05:45 AM

Finaly, due to all the irrational FUD around the auction it took longer than expected but at last we are green.

Hope this means liftoff.
oda.krell
Legendary

View Profile
July 03, 2014, 08:19:17 AM

Hope this means liftoff.

It means what it means: one more (momentum based) sign that we are leaving the correction-slash-bear market behind.

Immediate 'liftoff' is not guaranteed. You only need to go back to September last year to find 2 green MACD weeks, followed by another drop.

But as I pointed out in another post yesterday, what is special about the current situation is the confluence of momentum signals across time scales: weekly, 3 daily, daily MACD are all positive right now, which rather strongly points to an upwards breakout from the recent slump.

Electrum is an open-source lightweight client: fast, user friendly, and 100% secure.
Download the source or executables for Windows/OSX/Linux/Android from, and only from, the official Electrum homepage.
Wandererfromthenorth

Activity: 742

View Profile
July 03, 2014, 08:53:51 AM
Last edit: July 03, 2014, 09:05:13 AM by Wandererfromthenorth

That's not what 'closed' means, at least not in the common terminology.

EDIT: and you see two green candles because, as Raystonn pointed out, we closed last week's candle in green, and the current week's candle (not closed yet) is green as well.
Yes you are right  Wink

"Was green the 12th of June but closed red".
medUSA
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1003

--Signature Designs-- http://bit.ly/1Pjbx77

View Profile WWW
July 03, 2014, 09:01:42 AM

I haven't looked at the MACD for a few weeks now (just watching the price alone). With the recent chain of good news, I can feel the momentum without the charts  Cheesy
BTCat
Legendary

Activity: 1960
Merit: 1010

View Profile
July 03, 2014, 11:13:02 AM

Bitcoin does not 'close', it's 24/7 baby.
zimmah
Legendary

View Profile
July 03, 2014, 12:22:45 PM

Hope this means liftoff.

It means what it means: one more (momentum based) sign that we are leaving the correction-slash-bear market behind.

Immediate 'liftoff' is not guaranteed. You only need to go back to September last year to find 2 green MACD weeks, followed by another drop.

But as I pointed out in another post yesterday, what is special about the current situation is the confluence of momentum signals across time scales: weekly, 3 daily, daily MACD are all positive right now, which rather strongly points to an upwards breakout from the recent slump.

I think it's different from September. First of September had a green candle too early (they peaked right at the 233 days or so after the precious peak and before the next peak, had they rallied earlier they would be out of sync).

Also, the green candle was pretty sudden as there wasn't really a strong bearish moment yet, while now we had a very intense bear market already before the candle turned green. It already tried to flip to green for 2 weeks or so but kept failing because it kept being pushed back to red. And we are already pretty late if we want to peak 233 days after the previous peak. I don't think we will make it even if we start the rally now.

So I think liftoff will happen soon, but it will still be later than it probably should have been. But that might also mean we reach a higher high. I hope to see $6000+
wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
July 03, 2014, 12:44:31 PM

This. All these non-continuous candles are just arbitrary.
oda.krell
Legendary

View Profile
July 03, 2014, 01:15:40 PM

Arbitrary: yes. Uninformative: no.

Maybe open/close doesn't have quite the same importance as in a market that actually closes, but it still seems to carry some information. Also, note that the cutoff time is arbitrary, but consistent.

As an example of relevant information: closing above a line of resistance appears to be a meaningful signal, even in this 24/7 market. Note that, on average, the extrema of a period (high, low) are more thinly traded, and the actual mass of trading happens near H+L/2, to which (except for uncommon candles) open and close are much nearer. In my experience, a candle with a wick/low below some price, that closes above this price, contains the additional information that, within the time period considered, the market moved upwards such that the mass of trading towards the end of the period took place above the resistance.

wachtwoord
Legendary

View Profile
July 03, 2014, 01:52:28 PM

Arbitrary: yes. Uninformative: no.

Maybe open/close doesn't have quite the same importance as in a market that actually closes, but it still seems to carry some information. Also, note that the cutoff time is arbitrary, but consistent.

As an example of relevant information: closing above a line of resistance appears to be a meaningful signal, even in this 24/7 market. Note that, on average, the extrema of a period (high, low) are more thinly traded, and the actual mass of trading happens near H+L/2, to which (except for uncommon candles) open and close are much nearer. In my experience, a candle with a wick/low below some price, that closes above this price, contains the additional information that, within the time period considered, the market moved upwards such that the mass of trading towards the end of the period took place above the resistance.

These bars should just be continuously calculated as if it would close right now. This would give the best insight in the market (and is not possible with the traditional markets).
Raystonn (OP)

View Profile
July 03, 2014, 02:12:18 PM

That would make it impossible to perform any meaningful analysis.
oda.krell
Legendary

View Profile
July 03, 2014, 03:08:56 PM
Last edit: July 03, 2014, 03:38:38 PM by oda.krell

I'd phrase it slightly different than Raystonn: none (or almost none) of the traditional techniques work without segmenting the data in such a way.

That's perhaps the main difference between TA and quantitative forecasting. The former, as a first step, always breaks down the continuous-looking* data into "human digestible" chunks.

* just "continuous looking" because there is a discrete, atomic element after all, a single trade.

wachtwoord
Legendary

View Profile
July 03, 2014, 03:30:29 PM

That would make it impossible to perform any meaningful analysis.

If you believe this I guarantee you that your current analysis in meaningless.
BitchicksHusband

Activity: 378
Merit: 255

View Profile
July 03, 2014, 08:23:12 PM

What about this guy who says we won't bubble until January (November at the earliest)?

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=676333.0

1BitcHiCK1iRa6YVY6qDqC6M594RBYLNPo
zimmah
Legendary

View Profile
July 04, 2014, 12:26:29 AM

interesting thread, but i'm not sure where he got the dates from.

it seems to be way too late, as if he missed one peak/crash.

CMMPro

Activity: 588

View Profile
July 04, 2014, 07:29:05 PM

He discounted 2012 for some reason...

The peaks have been getting further apart but only slightly, the last two were both 235 days interval.

I honestly can't see it taking that long to climb again...I'm betting we are on the cusp of the next big climb right now.
Every other analysis I've seen or performed myself has us at ground zero for the next liftoff.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: