Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 08:39:34 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Antminer S5's: So loud!  (Read 1052 times)
sugarwookie (OP)

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 06, 2015, 05:58:40 AM

Hey all, so I thought it would be a good idea to move my little operation out of my spare bedroom. I found a space at a warehouse with super cheap electric-mainly from the hydro power. So far, things look like they're working like they should be. The Antminer S3's are of course nice and quiet, and the space is ventilated alright. But I seriously underestimated how much noise 9 S5's make in a small space. It's SO LOUD. It probably would have been more tolerable in a larger space-like they originally showed me. But they found me a smaller office space right next to a 220V breaker-which made things way cheaper overall. It's in the middle of a bunch of (mostly) unoccupied offices, and you can hear it as soon as you enter the stairwell (it's located down a long hall past a common area after the stairs..)

I was thinking about messing with the fans or something...or maybe trying something with foam...but lets be honest-I have no idea what I'm doing. Does anyone have any ideas or had to deal with this before?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 06, 2015, 07:20:45 AM

Hey all, so I thought it would be a good idea to move my little operation out of my spare bedroom. I found a space at a warehouse with super cheap electric-mainly from the hydro power. So far, things look like they're working like they should be. The Antminer S3's are of course nice and quiet, and the space is ventilated alright. But I seriously underestimated how much noise 9 S5's make in a small space. It's SO LOUD. It probably would have been more tolerable in a larger space-like they originally showed me. But they found me a smaller office space right next to a 220V breaker-which made things way cheaper overall. It's in the middle of a bunch of (mostly) unoccupied offices, and you can hear it as soon as you enter the stairwell (it's located down a long hall past a common area after the stairs..)

I was thinking about messing with the fans or something...or maybe trying something with foam...but lets be honest-I have no idea what I'm doing. Does anyone have any ideas or had to deal with this before?

Likely foam will keep heat in and they will get hotter... unless you can prevent heating issues I would not go with this.   What is temp like where you are mining?

Some do mod fan's on S5's as they are loud. (Keep in mind voids any warranty if you still have some but doubtful at this point).    Likely you will find a happy median with quieter fans and underclocking.   The S5's are hot and loud if you need quiet they are really not the miner for you.   I suggest S5's for areas that sound is not an issue.
okae
Legendary

Activity: 1401
Merit: 1008

northern exposure

View Profile WWW
October 06, 2015, 12:09:58 PM

I suggest S5's for areas that sound is not an issue.

he should searching for not only a place where the sound is not an issue, he should find for a place where the temperature is not an issue too, dont forget that Wink

btw about to reduce the noise, there is one thread talking about how to underclock the s5 here -> https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1151460.0  i know is not what are you searching for, but maybe reduce it a little bit will bring you a reduction of the noise, dunno.

IMHO #1.b of suspects, Hal Finney is/was S.N.
VirosaGITS
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1068

View Profile
October 06, 2015, 01:01:45 PM

he should searching for not only a place where the sound is not an issue, he should find for a place where the temperature is not an issue too, dont forget that Wink

btw about to reduce the noise, there is one thread talking about how to underclock the s5 here -> https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1151460.0  i know is not what are you searching for, but maybe reduce it a little bit will bring you a reduction of the noise, dunno.

I think the easiest way to solve this is lower the speed of the fan. It depends on how cool air you can blow on the S5 but if you buy box fans and use that to push air through the S5's fin, you should be able to lower the fan by a huge amount even at 30c ambient.

This work well since the box fan has a fairly high CFM but is pretty quiet because of how bit it is.

The second thing is if you can feed it cool air, for example if its cold 8 months per year like it is here, you can just open your window and feed it cool air, assuming its not a window vulnerable to taking in water.

Right now my fans are set to 38% and are thus quite bearable with under 60 dB for all of them combined.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█
              ▀▀▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   █▄   ▄

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄ ▄▀▀▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
███████▄ ███▒▒███      ██▒▒█████       ▀█▄
 ███████ ▀█▒▒████     ▄█▒▒█████▀         ▀█ ▄  ▄▄
  ██████  ▌▀▀█████▄▄▄███████▀▀            ███▄███▌
 █████████  █████▀▀█▀▀██████▌             ██████▀
 ▀█████████ ███▄  ███   ▐███▌ ▄██       ▄█████▀
     ▀▀    ▀▀███████████████▄▄████▄▄▄▄█▀▀▀▀▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

▄█████████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████████
█████████▀▀█████████▀▀█████████
███████ ▄▀▀         ▀▀▄ ███████
██████                   ██████
█████▌     ▄▄     ▄▄     ▐█████
█████     ████   ████     █████
█████      ▀▀     ▀▀      █████
█████▄   ▀▄▄▄     ▄▄▄▀   ▄█████
████████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄████████
 ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
October 06, 2015, 06:57:21 PM

I think the easiest way to solve this is lower the speed of the fan. It depends on how cool air you can blow on the S5 but if you buy box fans and use that to push air through the S5's fin, you should be able to lower the fan by a huge amount even at 30c ambient.

This work well since the box fan has a fairly high CFM but is pretty quiet because of how bit it is.

The second thing is if you can feed it cool air, for example if its cold 8 months per year like it is here, you can just open your window and feed it cool air, assuming its not a window vulnerable to taking in water.

Right now my fans are set to 38% and are thus quite bearable with under 60 dB for all of them combined.

Even if you underclock and lower freq with original fans it's not what I would consider quiet (IE one I would want in a room I use much).  Some have switched fans to much nicer and quieter ones that is really needed if you want more quiet not just bearable.

Avalon 4.1's still are king as far as quiet miners that are not to old.  But they do cost more to get and only from used market.
VirosaGITS
Legendary

View Profile
October 06, 2015, 07:06:51 PM

btw about to reduce the noise, there is one thread talking about how to underclock the s5 here -> https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1151460.0  i know is not what are you searching for, but maybe reduce it a little bit will bring you a reduction of the noise, dunno.

Even if you underclock and lower freq with original fans it's not what I would consider quiet (IE one I would want in a room I use much).  Some have switched fans to much nicer and quieter ones that is really needed if you want more quiet not just bearable.

Avalon 4.1's still are king as far as quiet miners that are not to old.  But they do cost more to get and only from used market.

At 2600 RPM i find them quiet enough. And soon i will be able to run them at the minimum, i think the firmware will let me run is 20% which should be about 1800 RPM. Which for me is very quiet.

Can't hear them at all in the next room. But keep in mind that for 2600 and less rpm i need outdoor temp of 5-10c fed strait into them. They're running at 387.5hz though, i didnt try underclocking them as well.

Temps are low too, 48c~ at 17c outdoor but 3000 RPM. I could probably lower them further but i like this target of 50c.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
October 06, 2015, 08:45:35 PM

snip
Even if you underclock and lower freq with original fans it's not what I would consider quiet (IE one I would want in a room I use much).  Some have switched fans to much nicer and quieter ones that is really needed if you want more quiet not just bearable.

Avalon 4.1's still are king as far as quiet miners that are not to old.  But they do cost more to get and only from used market.

At 2600 RPM i find them quiet enough. And soon i will be able to run them at the minimum, i think the firmware will let me run is 20% which should be about 1800 RPM. Which for me is very quiet.

Can't hear them at all in the next room. But keep in mind that for 2600 and less rpm i need outdoor temp of 5-10c fed strait into them. They're running at 387.5hz though, i didnt try underclocking them as well.

Temps are low too, 48c~ at 17c outdoor but 3000 RPM. I could probably lower them further but i like this target of 50c.

What I find quiet is having trouble hearing it in same room.  I don't enjoy hearing miners to be honest.   

That is part of reason I got a area just for mining.  I might bring the Avalon 4.1's in during winter to heat a room or two.   But most will remain in my mining area so I don't have to hear them.
VirosaGITS
Legendary

View Profile
October 06, 2015, 08:49:35 PM

snip

What I find quiet is having trouble hearing it in same room.  I don't enjoy hearing miners to be honest.    

That is part of reason I got a area just for mining.  I might bring the Avalon 4.1's in during winter to heat a room or two.   But most will remain in my mining area so I don't have to hear them.

I see, i would call that silent. The only miner i have that is "silent" is S1 in a cold room, with their fan under 1k RPM. For winter i'll remove their fans, downlocked them further and make a rack of them in my room to keep it warm. Smiley

I've heard of how awesomely quiet the Avalon 4.1 are but i never found a single one for sale. Except on ebay at ridiculous price. And now they are starting to be less interesting with the price/hash and low-ish efficiency so i may never get to check one out.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
October 06, 2015, 08:58:45 PM

snip

What I find quiet is having trouble hearing it in same room.  I don't enjoy hearing miners to be honest.    

That is part of reason I got a area just for mining.  I might bring the Avalon 4.1's in during winter to heat a room or two.   But most will remain in my mining area so I don't have to hear them.

I see, i would call that silent. The only miner i have that is "silent" is S1 in a cold room, with their fan under 1k RPM. For winter i'll remove their fans, downlocked them further and make a rack of them in my room to keep it warm. Smiley

I've heard of how awesomely quiet the Avalon 4.1 are but i never found a single one for sale. Except on ebay at ridiculous price. And now they are starting to be less interesting with the price/hash and low-ish efficiency so i may never get to check one out.

Sadly they did not lower prices when SP20 and S5's were.  Avalon 4.1 kept their price high.   So sadly it leads to them still costing more on after market (they no longer make new).   But they are the quiests miners I've ever had with zero mods.   So good for those who own them but bad for someone wanting to buy one.

I hope on next gen they don't go with premium  pricing but likely they will. 
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: