Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 09:16:01 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Where did my Bitcoins go?  (Read 1727 times)
LH66 (OP)

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 29, 2011, 02:34:29 AM

Hi all,

I am brand new to Bitcoin. Here's my problem. My bitcoins disappeared and I don't know how to get them back.

A few days ago I signed up for an account at mybitcoin, then went to Bitcoin faucet to get some Bitcoins. After a few minutes I saw .05 bitcoins my my account there.

Then I decided to get my own wallet, so I downloaded the software from the homepage here. Ran the software, then tried to move the bitcoins from mybitcoin to the wallet. As soon as I made the transfer, the wallet crashed. I cannot open the wallet now, and the bitcoins are no longer in mybitcoin.

What happened? I'm running Windows 7 Home edition. Thanks.
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
April 29, 2011, 02:37:51 AM

By "the wallet crashed" you mean the client crashed?  Make a copy of your wallet.dat file, move it, reinstall the Bitcoin client.  Before you start it, copy your wallet.dat file back to it's proper directory, and then fire the client up.  Let it run until it catchs up to the current block.  If you still can't see your bitnickel, it's likely gone.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
LH66 (OP)

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 29, 2011, 05:15:12 AM

I will try this tomorrow. Thank you.
thcoore44

Activity: 1526
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 03, 2017, 05:55:41 AM

in some cases, you must carefully read the transaction terms. for example, some services can take at least a certain number and if you send less than this amount, then you simply lose your bitcoins
lionelho

Activity: 135
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 03, 2017, 05:59:22 AM

As soon as you still have the wallet.dat file, you have the controll of the bitcoins. The wallet.dat file contains the private key identifying you!

DeepOnion    ▬▬  Anonymous and Untraceable  ▬▬    ENJOY YOUR PRIVACY  •  JOIN DEEPONION
▐▐▐▐▐▐▐▐   ANN  Whitepaper  Facebook  Twitter  Telegram  Discord    ▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌
Get $ONION  (✔Cryptopia  ✔KuCoin)  |  VoteCentral  Register NOW!  |  Download DeepOnion
moooonu

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 03, 2017, 06:49:55 AM

If you really had coins in the website you withdrew from then there is nothing you need to worry about. There are a lot of people in here to guide you in situations like this. As its been told to you by others that look into wallet.dat file which have private keys. Just keep that file safe and you will eventually recover your coins with the guidance.
DARKANGEL6415

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

ADAMANT — the most secure and anonymous messenger

View Profile WWW
December 03, 2017, 05:15:44 PM

I really do not understand how the whole dat file thing does a difference. I once had a issue  sending bitcoin to kracken exchange where my bitcoin just disappeared. I tried to mess with the dat file junk but ended up getting mad at the whole process.  In the end  i recovered nothing but it was only .1 bitcoin back then i did not care as bitcoin was like 200.00

● ● ● ● ● ● ●   ADAMANT Messenger ● ● ● ● ● ● ●  
Try it now: Secure and Anonymous Messenger ║║ Whitepaper
949miner

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

Stake & Vote or Become a IoTeX Delegate!

View Profile
December 03, 2017, 05:18:31 PM

Why are you bumping a thread from 2011? seriously you have some problems.

If you really had coins in the website you withdrew from then there is nothing you need to worry about.

Because of this kind of people we are still seeing some threads from a few years ago that have already been answered or solved, like those in where a lot of people were just doing a trade for a few bitcoins for just a laptop.

Maybe they are good annecdotes, but there is no reason for keep bumping them.

And it is funny because a few newbies replied after that trying to answer to the OP.

`^cder.         
          '-`ryRQQ#@@#O}-      
       .)ydi`!]PQQ#@@@@@#d}!   
  `:'`rU9660ZL:')TZ@@@@@@####O)
  `lVx<,:xWg@@@#g)iQB##@@##@@@M
  `lVcyWRBsy@@Q8Z*iQQQQB##@@@@M
  `x|G#@@@m)T<:<v~iB##@@#QQB#@M
     `)I$#m,-' `>]ZB#@@@#QQQB#3
  .>LKlxxxx_`<YUaKOQQQB#BB####P
:V5MMMTx^=*` .~xeaOQQg$RB@@@##P
 .<}ab*' .QQK\_`;<YMRO66B@@@@B}
     .`  .Q#@#Q3v`rcvvY3B#Mx_