Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 06:35:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [2014-07-02] Winklevoss Bitcoin ETF to Trade on NASDAQ Under 'COIN' Symbol  (Read 1858 times)
mercistheman (OP)

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 03, 2014, 06:06:07 AM

Getting closer...

http://www.coindesk.com/winklevoss-bitcoin-etf-trade-nasdaq-coin-symbol/   

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
erono

Activity: 434

View Profile
July 03, 2014, 08:57:59 AM

Do you really need me to explain why buying a portfolio (Bitcoin ETF) of an asset that is backed by nothing.

wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
July 03, 2014, 11:30:39 AM

I just earned GLD isn't even ten years old yet (launched November 2004). What the hell did the world use before that?
kjlimo
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1031

View Profile WWW
July 03, 2014, 11:53:42 AM

I just earned GLD isn't even ten years old yet (launched November 2004). What the hell did the world use before that?

Bars, chains, rings?

I'm most excited because this will allow me to get a portion of my bitcoin holding into a roth IRA. So when I become a millionaire, Iwon't have to pay taxes on it!

Coinbase for selling BTCs
Fold for spending BTCs
PM me with any questions on these sites/apps!  http://www.montybitcoin.com

or Vircurex for trading alt cryptocurrencies like DOGEs
CoinNinja for exploring the blockchain.
wachtwoord
Legendary

View Profile
July 03, 2014, 12:04:27 PM

Bars, chains, rings?

I'm most excited because this will allow me to get a portion of my bitcoin holding into a roth IRA. So when I become a millionaire, Iwon't have to pay taxes on it!

But it was 2004? Weren't there other gold ETFs at all?  Huh
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
July 03, 2014, 12:11:56 PM

BTCF  would have been also okay.

kjlimo
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1031

View Profile WWW
July 03, 2014, 01:38:29 PM

Bars, chains, rings?

I'm most excited because this will allow me to get a portion of my bitcoin holding into a roth IRA. So when I become a millionaire, I won't have to pay taxes on it!

Pretty sure the GOLD ETF thing is a new idea from the 2000's, but I could be wrong.

Everyone laughed at them when they were created... and then everyone bought them... perhaps the same will happen with COIN?

Coinbase for selling BTCs
Fold for spending BTCs
PM me with any questions on these sites/apps!  http://www.montybitcoin.com

or Vircurex for trading alt cryptocurrencies like DOGEs
CoinNinja for exploring the blockchain.
wachtwoord
Legendary

View Profile
July 03, 2014, 01:47:46 PM

Bars, chains, rings?

I'm most excited because this will allow me to get a portion of my bitcoin holding into a roth IRA. So when I become a millionaire, I won't have to pay taxes on it!

Pretty sure the GOLD ETF thing is a new idea from the 2000's, but I could be wrong.

Everyone laughed at them when they were created... and then everyone bought them... perhaps the same will happen with COIN?

Cool, anywhere I can read a good article about this? From when I got interested in investing these things have existed and I always asssumed it had  been like this for decades  Cheesy
theonewhowaskazu

Activity: 448

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 09:57:28 PM

Has anybody done any research about how long it takes in general to get from this point -> actually listed on the NASDAQ?

1 month? 6 months? A year? 5 years?

FattyMcButterpants

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 09:58:45 PM

i can't wait to roll shares into my retirement account and sit on them for decades. no taxes, baby! moon, here we come! Cheesy
wachtwoord
Legendary

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 10:00:27 PM

Has anybody done any research about how long it takes in general to get from this point -> actually listed on the NASDAQ?

Most people are estimating 2014Q4 or 2015Q1 but it's not a done deal, this could very well be blocked by the SEC (for some retarded reason).
theonewhowaskazu

View Profile
July 09, 2014, 01:03:37 AM

Most people are estimating 2014Q4 or 2015Q1 but it's not a done deal, this could very well be blocked by the SEC (for some retarded reason).

They got approval from the NASDAQ though? Seeing as they've got a ticker reserved already?

personally I was way more concerned about the NASDAQ approval than the SEC, seeing as the NASDAQ has gotten a bad reputation for IPOs, and a BTC ETF IPO would have a better chance of getting screwed (especially technically) than most. To be honest I thought they wouldn't think it worth the risk, especially if they think bitcoin is "eventually doomed to fail" anyway.

wachtwoord
Legendary

View Profile
July 09, 2014, 01:05:46 AM

They got approval from the NASDAQ though? Seeing as they've got a ticker reserved already?

personally I was way more concerned about the NASDAQ approval than the SEC, seeing as the NASDAQ has gotten a bad reputation for IPOs, and a BTC ETF IPO would have a better chance of getting screwed (especially technically) than most. To be honest I thought they wouldn't think it worth the risk, especially if they think bitcoin is "eventually doomed to fail" anyway.

No, apparently there are 100s of ETF at any point in time in various stages of the process. Every step/hurdle taken does increase the likelihood though.
theonewhowaskazu

View Profile
July 09, 2014, 01:06:40 AM

No, apparently there are 100s of ETF at any point in time in various stages of the process. Every step/hurdle taken does increase the likelihood though.

Waitso it hasn't been approved by the NASDAQ yet? Then how can it have a tickersymbol?

wachtwoord
Legendary

View Profile
July 09, 2014, 01:09:27 AM

Waitso it hasn't been approved by the NASDAQ yet? Then how can it have a tickersymbol?

By requesting one. Btw it's the SEC which needs to approve it and that hasn't been done yet. You can find the official request form Smiley
theonewhowaskazu

View Profile
July 09, 2014, 01:11:23 AM

By requesting one. Btw it's the SEC which needs to approve it and that hasn't been done yet. You can find the official request form Smiley
Both the NASDAQ and the SEC need to approve them. The SEC if they have a right to be an ETF in the first place, and the NASDAQ if the ETF can be on their exchange. I'm not sure of the order of these two approvals.

wachtwoord
Legendary

View Profile
July 09, 2014, 01:13:34 AM

Both the NASDAQ and the SEC need to approve them. The SEC if they have a right to be an ETF in the first place, and the NASDAQ if the ETF can be on their exchange. I'm not sure of the order of these two approvals.

Well as far as I know the NASDAQ is fine with it.
theonewhowaskazu

View Profile
July 09, 2014, 01:45:53 AM

Well as far as I know the NASDAQ is fine with it.
How far do you know?

mercistheman (OP)

Activity: 378

View Profile
July 09, 2014, 05:20:22 AM

This sounds positive... from ETF Daily News...
"The fresh amendment naming Nasdaq: COIN as the ticker symbol was filed July 1, exactly one year after the initial filing of the S-1 form.

Despite the long process, the Winklevoss Bitcoin ETF appears to be on track for SEC approval, probably before the end of the year.

“Under the securities laws we are not permitted to discuss timing to launch or effectiveness,” Cameron Winklevoss told The Wall Street Journal.

“However, identifying the ticker symbol and the exchange are two major events that further demonstrate that we are moving forward as expected.”
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
July 09, 2014, 06:36:01 AM

I should point out to some people who are getting excited about this but, ETF's should purely be used for speculation and not actual investment, if you want to properly invest in Gold or Bitcoins make sure to just buy the actual thing yourself and either store the Bitcoins on an offline wallet or the precious metals at home.

You NEVER own the stuff traded on the commodities exchanges and ETFs etc.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: