Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 10:51:19 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Silk Road Bitcoin Auction Winner Tim Draper Won't Say How Much He Paid  (Read 2119 times)
Coinbuddy (OP)

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 03, 2014, 09:54:43 AM
Last edit: July 08, 2014, 10:54:10 AM by Coinbuddy

BTCOn Friday, the U.S. Marshals auctioned off the nearly 30,000 Bitcoin seized from infamous online drug bazaar Silk Road. The Marshals planned to sell them off in nine blocks to different bidders, but one bidder wound up beating out the competition: venture capitalist Tim Draper, for whom VC-ism runs in the blood (his grandfather and father were successful VCs, and his son runs a tech incubator). During a press conference Wednesday, Draper refused to reveal how much he paid for the Bitcoin — valued at about $17 million the day of the auction — stating only the obvious, that he “paid more than the other people in the auction.” According to a Marshals spokesperson, 45 bidders had made 63 bids.

Read more " http://www.forbes.com/sites/kashmirhill/2014/07/02/tim-draper-silk-road-bitcoin-auction/ "
medUSA
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1003

--Signature Designs-- http://bit.ly/1Pjbx77

View Profile WWW
July 03, 2014, 10:03:10 AM

He must have paid above market rate at the time of the auction and below the current market rate (ie, between $570 and $650). If he discloses his below current market rate bid, bitcoin price will fall towards his bid level. His new fortune will shrink by millions in fiat terms.
davidgdg

Activity: 551
Merit: 501

View Profile
July 03, 2014, 10:55:11 AM

He must have paid above market rate at the time of the auction and below the current market rate

Why do you say that he must have paid below the current market rate?

"There is only one thing that is seriously morally wrong with the world, and that is politics. By 'politics' I mean all that, and only what, involves the State." Jan Lester "Escape from Leviathan"
Light

Activity: 742
Merit: 502

Circa 2010

View Profile
July 03, 2014, 11:04:54 AM

Because, from what I've read from speculators, it would create a perception that the coins *should* be valued at that price point as well as some degree of fear that Draper could sell them off now for a quick profit. Clearly, if it was the case Draper wouldn't want to devalue his own holdings by stating something that he doesn't have to. Personally, I'm not sure whether I agree with the reasoning, but then again humanity isn't exactly that logical, so reasoning doesn't always explain pricing fluctuations.
Guido
Legendary

Activity: 1061
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 03, 2014, 12:50:41 PM

well, this is the first of more auctions by fbi
they have another 110k bitcoin approx?

why show his hand when he will want to buy again at future auctions one would imagine

future bidders now know lowballing will get them nowhere and they will have to buy on open market discreetly and keep price down (whats going on now) and will have to outbid serious people and funds in auction format

I am Bonkers BTW
Crypto OG
        +
Digital Artist
davellolzz

Activity: 43
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 03, 2014, 02:09:42 PM

I wonder if he bought it less or in a higher price. But since its in an auction and has more than 40+ bidders I guess he acquired it with more expensive price. Huh
guybrushthreepwood
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1195

View Profile
July 03, 2014, 02:20:29 PM

I'm sure the price will be revealed or get leaked at some point. Wont the government have to state officially somewhere how much they sold them for? Would seem a bit shady if they didn't disclose this info.

He must have paid above market rate at the time of the auction and below the current market rate

Yeah, why would anyone do that? Doesn't make any sense.
RawDog
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1026

View Profile WWW
July 03, 2014, 02:33:57 PM

Wont the government have to state officially somewhere how much they sold them for? Would seem a bit shady if they didn't disclose this info.

Government - shady?  Are you kidding?

*Image Removed* *Expletive Removed*  *Obsenity Removed*
What's going on - Slavetards?!!!
Watch my videos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oE43M1Z8Iew  1FuckYouc6zrtHbnqcHdhrSVhcxgpJgfds
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4228
Merit: 4501

View Profile
July 03, 2014, 02:43:30 PM

who cares how much he paid. thats his private business. after 4 years of people wanting governments to stay out of bitcoins and not have regulations and not make everything public,... a few of you now want full disclosure of someones bitcoin transaction.

seriously?

how about you reveal every transaction you have done. and get all your family and friends to upload their credit card statements.

knowing about a 30k bitcoin transaction is meaningless. bitpay do more then this all the time.. so does coinbase, so does alot of merchants. so how about asking for businesses to show you their business audit/financial reports, before asking for someones private deals

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Guido
Legendary

Activity: 1061
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 03, 2014, 02:51:40 PM

who cares how much he paid. thats his private business. after 4 years of people wanting governments to stay out of bitcoins and not have regulations and not make everything public,... a few of you now want full disclosure of someones bitcoin transaction.

seriously?

how about you reveal every transaction you have done. and get all your family and friends to upload their credit card statements.

knowing about a 30k bitcoin transaction is meaningless. bitpay do more then this all the time.. so does coinbase, so does alot of merchants. so how about asking for businesses to show you their business audit/financial reports, before asking for someones private deals

THIS

I am Bonkers BTW
Crypto OG
        +
Digital Artist
beetcoin

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 03, 2014, 06:35:36 PM

^ it's the same with satoshi's privacy. i find it quite funny that satoshi is quite the legend here, and how everyone loves him (probably because he made them wealthy). yet, if you revere him so much, why are you so interested in going AGAINST his wishes.. and try to dox/expose him? that's obviously not what he wants.

people only want privacy when it benefits them. and transparency when it benefits them.
Ron~Popeil

Activity: 406

View Profile
July 03, 2014, 06:37:47 PM

The price is kind of irrelevant. Auction prices do not set market prices in any economy.

beetcoin

View Profile
July 03, 2014, 06:39:39 PM

The price is kind of irrelevant. Auction prices do not set market prices in any economy.

wrong. bitcoin still has a relatively small market cap, so one whale who's willing to spend on 30k coins is going to largely sway the price of bitcoin. if everyone knows a whale with that kind of money is willing to back it, people will feel more secure in investing.
bigasic

Activity: 924

View Profile
July 03, 2014, 06:47:37 PM

I highly doubt that one person or organization will be able to buy the 144k coins that will be available after DPR's trial. Then again, bitcoin could be worth a lot less, so  its hard to speculate, but my btc is on it being much higher.
Mrrr

Activity: 617
Merit: 528

View Profile
July 03, 2014, 06:53:57 PM

I assume he paid above market. Trying to purchase this amount at 'market' price would cause an upswing so big you'd end up paying even more. Plus of course, he had the opportunity to purchase from a known and trusted party, which should be worth a premium.

burp...
beetcoin

View Profile
July 03, 2014, 06:55:37 PM

I highly doubt that one person or organization will be able to buy the 144k coins that will be available after DPR's trial. Then again, bitcoin could be worth a lot less, so  its hard to speculate, but my btc is on it being much higher.

i doubt it'll happen, but 144k coins is only $94 million at $650 per bitcoin. a whale who has big plans could afford that, but it's probably too risky.
musician

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 03, 2014, 07:01:20 PM

Does anyone thinks that 63 bids were ALL below market price?
InwardContour

Activity: 644
Merit: 260

View Profile
July 03, 2014, 10:19:57 PM

I assume he paid above market. Trying to purchase this amount at 'market' price would cause an upswing so big you'd end up paying even more. Plus of course, he had the opportunity to purchase from a known and trusted party, which should be worth a premium.

The same is true for the government who was selling the coins. Draper could have purchased the coins at any time, but the USMS had a deadline to get the coins off their books. Draper had the known and trusted party advantage as well as he had to provide identifying information and had to "send first"
galbros
Legendary

Activity: 1022

View Profile
July 03, 2014, 10:30:06 PM

Does anyone thinks that 63 bids were ALL below market price?

No, I don't, but I think most of them were, especially the ones that were amalgamated bids of small bidders.  After all, if you just wanted 10 bitcoins you could just go buy them no problem off of an exchange.  So no need to bid high at an auction.  However, if you wanted 30K of them, well you would probably want to bid above market as buying that many off an exchange would move the market against you.  In short, I think Tim Draper made a masterful trade, the price of BTC was down on news of the auction, so he could pay a bit above then current market and sweep up all the coins and then ride the rebound wave.  While I wish he would tell us what he paid, I can't blame him for not doing so.
LouReed

Activity: 732
Merit: 500

Nosce te Ipsum

View Profile
July 03, 2014, 10:55:14 PM

well, this is the first of more auctions by fbi
they have another 110k bitcoin approx?

why show his hand when he will want to buy again at future auctions one would imagine

future bidders now know lowballing will get them nowhere and they will have to buy on open market discreetly and keep price down (whats going on now) and will have to outbid serious people and funds in auction format

It's 144,000: https://blockchain.info/address/1i7cZdoE9NcHSdAL5eGjmTJbBVqeQDwgw

I wouldn't count on an auction for these anytime soon, if ever. A motion has been filed for them to be returned to their rightful owner, who knows how long that will take. Even if he is found guilty, they will still have to prove that the coins were actually proceeds from Silk Road. Remember, Ross was a fairly early adopter, it is entirely possible that he could have bought them, or even mined them himself. Silk Road launched in February 2011, and he surely didn't think the project up, and create it in just a couple days. I would think it took him several months from inception to launch, and remember, just six months before SR's debut, one could've bought 144,000 Bitcoin for probably less than $5000.

Not saying that this is what happened, just saying it's a definite possibility that he could've in fact acquired some, or all of those coins legitimately. After all, he did start the first legitimate Bitcoin Market with hedging and escrow. You probably wouldn't do that holding little to no Bitcoin.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: