Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 11:34:54 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 5 Global Problems Bitcoin’s Proof of Work Can Help Solve!  (Read 855 times)
traderman (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 03, 2014, 08:32:30 PM

A nice article on scientific applications of the blockchain technology.

http://www.coindesk.com/5-global-problems-bitcoins-proof-work-can-help-solve/
InwardContour

Activity: 644
Merit: 260

View Profile
July 03, 2014, 10:12:43 PM

A lot of these are more ways that ASICs could be used rather then how the concept of the blockchain could solve these problems.
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4228
Merit: 4490

View Profile
July 03, 2014, 10:34:34 PM

1) bitcoins proof of work does not do protein folding. that would be probably a job of a protein folding altcoin, thats protocol is different then bitcoin.

2) bitcoins proof of work does not do prime numbers.. thats the job of an altcoin called primecoin

3) SETI would require again a totally different protocol.

4) blah blah .. altcoin.. blah blah solarcoin

5) blah blah different protocol blah blah

BITCOIN protocol does none of the 5 listed things. and it never will. other altcoins do and probably will, but the title of this topic should be renamed to crypto-currency's proof of work

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
traderman (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 03, 2014, 11:46:59 PM

I guess the title could use a rewording. I guess what they are trying to get across is the usefulness of the block chain technology.

1) bitcoins proof of work does not do protein folding. that would be probably a job of a protein folding altcoin, thats protocol is different then bitcoin.

2) bitcoins proof of work does not do prime numbers.. thats the job of an altcoin called primecoin

3) SETI would require again a totally different protocol.

4) blah blah .. altcoin.. blah blah solarcoin

5) blah blah different protocol blah blah

BITCOIN protocol does none of the 5 listed things. and it never will. other altcoins do and probably will, but the title of this topic should be renamed to crypto-currency's proof of work
lihuajkl
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 04, 2014, 07:57:23 AM

At least it relates to proof of work of BTC. BTC is the ancestor of crypto currency. Mentioning BTC is just aim to attract more attention.
InwardContour

View Profile
July 05, 2014, 03:17:37 AM

In theory ASICs could do this kind of work. I would doubt that bitcoin ASICs could do either of these as they are programmed to do a calculation to find a hash under a certain number, but the same manufacturers could make different ASICs to solve these kinds of problems.
traderman (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 05, 2014, 04:06:51 AM

If GPU can do it, I am sure asic can be made to do these kinds of computations. I think as the Bitcoin popularity rises more and more people are gonna start to ask if all the power mining is sucking from the electricity grid can be applied somewhere really useful. I think it is only a matter of time.

In theory ASICs could do this kind of work. I would doubt that bitcoin ASICs could do either of these as they are programmed to do a calculation to find a hash under a certain number, but the same manufacturers could make different ASICs to solve these kinds of problems.
freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
July 05, 2014, 04:48:11 AM

I like that article it had a bunch of neat ideas
I must admit the first one was new to me but its cool stuff protein folding who knew.

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
InwardContour

View Profile
July 05, 2014, 08:15:58 PM

If GPU can do it, I am sure asic can be made to do these kinds of computations. I think as the Bitcoin popularity rises more and more people are gonna start to ask if all the power mining is sucking from the electricity grid can be applied somewhere really useful. I think it is only a matter of time.

ASICs used to mine bitcoin are only able to make SHA256 calculations. I am not sure if either of these applications would need these kinds of calculations done.
traderman (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 05, 2014, 09:59:26 PM

You don't need asics at all technically speaking. All of the gpu and cpu that are deployed on mining altcoins can be used to donate to science projects such as Boinc and folding proteins etc.. The whole article is about he blockchain tech.

ASICs used to mine bitcoin are only able to make SHA256 calculations. I am not sure if either of these applications would need these kinds of calculations done.
ShakyhandsBTCer

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

It's Money 2.0| It’s gold for nerds | It's Bitcoin

View Profile
July 06, 2014, 12:14:45 AM

You don't need asics at all technically speaking. All of the gpu and cpu that are deployed on mining altcoins can be used to donate to science projects such as Boinc and folding proteins etc.. The whole article is about he blockchain tech.

What would be the incentive to donate this processing power to these causes? I would assume that the companies that are working on these problems are doing to with the hope of one day somehow being able to find the solution and profit off of it.
Light

Activity: 742
Merit: 502

Circa 2010

View Profile
July 06, 2014, 12:23:27 AM

What would be the incentive to donate this processing power to these causes? I would assume that the companies that are working on these problems are doing to with the hope of one day somehow being able to find the solution and profit off of it.

Like all donations, the incentive would be the fact you believe yourself to be doing something good for someone else/society. It's like asking what incentive people have to donate to charity - it's called charity for a reason. Next, you would realise that sad as it is, all innovation comes about from a desire for further revenue - if IBM and various other PC manufacturers didn't want money (yeah like that's going to happen) then they'd have no incentive to produce anything and you would probably not have a computer nor would you have Bitcoin.
traderman (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 06, 2014, 03:15:50 AM

https://secure.worldcommunitygrid.org/research/hfcc/overview.do

If you read the above, you will see one example of what distributed scientific computing has achieved. Now imagine thousands or even millions of miners doing computations in every single science field because they get coins for doing so. Imagine the discoveries that will be made!

Like all donations, the incentive would be the fact you believe yourself to be doing something good for someone else/society. It's like asking what incentive people have to donate to charity - it's called charity for a reason. Next, you would realise that sad as it is, all innovation comes about from a desire for further revenue - if IBM and various other PC manufacturers didn't want money (yeah like that's going to happen) then they'd have no incentive to produce anything and you would probably not have a computer nor would you have Bitcoin.
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
July 06, 2014, 02:57:46 PM

If you read the above, you will see one example of what distributed scientific computing has achieved. Now imagine thousands or even millions of miners doing computations in every single science field because they get coins for doing so. Imagine the discoveries that will be made!
You can have calculations that are useful for other things, or you can have calculations that are useful as proof of work, but they can't be the same calculations.
traderman (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 06, 2014, 03:02:21 PM

I am talking about GPU, I understand that hashing and the kind of computations required for Boinc/WCG are different. GPU can do both types!

You can have calculations that are useful for other things, or you can have calculations that are useful as proof of work, but they can't be the same calculations.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: