Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 08:57:16 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [Buying] Put options at 2.00 USD  (Read 2450 times)
Ian Maxwell (OP)

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2011, 05:00:27 AM
Last edit: April 29, 2011, 03:53:20 PM by SunAvatar

I am looking for the option to put 200-500 BTC at strike price $2.10 each, expiry July 31 (negotiable), premium $0.10 $0.15 each (also negotiable). European style is acceptable. Message me to "buy it now," or make a counter-offer here.

Ian Maxwell
PGP key | WoT rating
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
demonofelru

Activity: 238

View Profile
April 29, 2011, 05:03:39 AM
Last edit: April 29, 2011, 05:20:28 AM by demonofelru

I am looking for the option to put 200-500 BTC at strike price $2.10 each, expiry July 31 (negotiable), premium $0.10 each (also negotiable). European style is acceptable. Message me to "buy it now," or make a counter-offer here.

I've had luck with you so I might be interested but the premium is way too low.  I learned my lesson well at how crazy volatility can be.

Edit: How about strike price of 2.10 expiry July 31st premium of .20 and european style?

Names do not matter; however, if you insist...id...
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2011, 05:20:34 AM

So if Bitcoins are worthless but still movable this is good for put buyer. But if they are worthless because they are stuck the put is worthless. Is this right?

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
demonofelru

View Profile
April 29, 2011, 05:27:03 AM

So if Bitcoins are worthless but still movable this is good for put buyer. But if they are worthless because they are stuck the put is worthless. Is this right?

What did you mean by this?  AFAIK even in stocks if the company goes bankrupt the holder of the put can still exercise the option.

FreeMoney
Legendary

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2011, 06:01:45 AM

What did you mean by this?  AFAIK even in stocks if the company goes bankrupt the holder of the put can still exercise the option.

Maybe I'm off, or maybe there are different kinds. I assumed this deal implied that Sun wanted the right to sell bitcoins to the issuers of the put for $2 each. Doesn't he have to be able to deliver coins for that?

I suppose it could be done synthetically. Like just pay the difference of $2 and the Mtgox price at expiry, but that would involve specifying a method (bid price/ask price? what to do if mtgox is gone, etc).

demonofelru

View Profile
April 29, 2011, 06:12:07 AM

Maybe I'm off, or maybe there are different kinds. I assumed this deal implied that Sun wanted the right to sell bitcoins to the issuers of the put for $2 each. Doesn't he have to be able to deliver coins for that?

I suppose it could be done synthetically. Like just pay the difference of $2 and the Mtgox price at expiry, but that would involve specifying a method (bid price/ask price? what to do if mtgox is gone, etc).

Oh so you're saying the possibility of a huge exploit in bitcoins that would render them unable to be transfered I guess?  Yeah didn't thin of that.

FreeMoney
Legendary

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2011, 06:50:00 AM

Yeah, I mean not likely, but still.

Ian Maxwell (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2011, 12:05:54 PM

If bitcoins aren't movable I'll mail you a disk holding my wallet file. I am collecting on these options if the value sinks.

I don't really expect it to in the next 90 days, this is just insurance.

Ian Maxwell
PGP key | WoT rating
ribuck
Donator

Activity: 826
Merit: 1039

View Profile
April 29, 2011, 12:24:57 PM

My offer:

Strike price of 2.10 expiry July 31st premium of .19 each, European style. Minimum quantity 500, maximum quantity 1000.
demonofelru

View Profile
April 29, 2011, 02:42:00 PM

hehe I'll go Strike price of 2.10 expiry July 31st premium of .18 each, European style. any quantity you want, within reason, I won't be able to buy 1,000,000 BTC lol

Ian Maxwell (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2011, 03:52:35 PM

My original offer is getting better: exchange rate has hit all time highs in the last hour. I'm revising my "buy it now" offer to 0.15.

ribuck, I don't actually have 500 BTC at the moment, but I may still take 500 in options as long as I can exercise only part of that if necessary.

Ian Maxwell
PGP key | WoT rating
demonofelru

View Profile
April 29, 2011, 04:14:39 PM

My original offer is getting better: exchange rate has hit all time highs in the last hour. I'm revising my "buy it now" offer to 0.15.

ribuck, I don't actually have 500 BTC at the moment, but I may still take 500 in options as long as I can exercise only part of that if necessary.

I'd be willing to do a european style one for .15 expiry july 31 2011 how many options would you want?

Edit: BTW I assume you got the coins last night?

Edit 2: So I guess buy it now as long as you are ok with European.

Ian Maxwell (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2011, 04:41:48 PM

@demonofelru: Sounds good. I'll take up to 500 BTC worth (making a $75 premium), as long as you're willing to let me exercise only part of that. (The only way this could work against you if bitcoins are simultaneously low-value and hard to buy, which seems unlikely---but I'd like a fully general hedge.)

I'm low on Mt Gox dollars, so the easiest payment method for me will be ACH push. Send me a message  letting me know if this is acceptable. I may not answer for a while since I ought to be working right now.  Smiley

An interesting sidenote: We are basically agreeing that there's a 7.5% chance Bitcoin will be worth less than $2 on July 31. I said 5.5% chance before and folks thought that was too low. Does this seem right?

Also interesting, to me anyway: With the closing of this trade I have officially broken even.  Cheesy

Ian Maxwell
PGP key | WoT rating
error

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 29, 2011, 05:17:02 PM

Sorry to barge in, but can somebody explain this in VERY simple terms so that an average idiot like me can understand it?

3KzNGwzRZ6SimWuFAgh4TnXzHpruHMZmV8
demonofelru

View Profile
April 29, 2011, 05:27:53 PM

Sorry to barge in, but can somebody explain this in VERY simple terms so that an average idiot like me can understand it?

The put option gives him the right but not the obligation to sell bitcoins to me at 2.10 per coin.  He's doing this as an insurance in case bitcoin dramatically loses value he would still be able to sell it for 2.10 even if mtgox is selling for 60 cents.  I did it because I feel the chance is slim that bitcoin value will dramatically deteriorate by July 31st and if I'm right I collect the premium which is mine to keep.  The premium is .15 per BTC and each contract is for 100 BTC so 5 contracts would give me $75 immediately.  If I'm right and on July 31st the price is for example $3 the option expires and I keep the $75.  If on July 31st the price is $1.95 I break even since I will buy the BTC for 2.10 but I got the 15 cents per BTC for the premium.  If the price is $1 on July 31st I am forced to buy the BTC at 2.10 each meaning a loss of 95 cents a BTC which would be a total loss of $475.  This probably isn't very simple but I tried lol

Ian Maxwell (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2011, 05:32:03 PM

Sure, I'll explain it. (I see demonofelru beat me to it, but maybe two explanations are better than one.)

I am buying a put option. This is a contract that gives me the right, but not the obligation, to sell bitcoins on some later date at a previously agreed-upon price, called the strike price---in this case, $2.10 per bitcoin.

This price isn't very good for me at the moment, but there's no saying for sure whether it will be on July 31. If the market price is below $2.10, I'll probably exercise my options and make the sale, and if it isn't, I probably won't. So I win either way---my bitcoins are basically insured against loss of value.

In consideration for this insurance, I'm paying a premium up front---in this case, $0.15 per bitcoin. demonofelru is taking on a risk and has decided this is enough to make it worth his while.

In this case, the later date, or expiry, is July 31. "European style" just means that I can't exercise my options early, I have to wait until July 31 and decide---compare to "American style," where I can exercise my options at any time until they expire.

Ian Maxwell
PGP key | WoT rating
demonofelru

View Profile
April 29, 2011, 05:34:56 PM

Wait so the strike price is $2.00? Because your original post said "strike price $2.10 each"  not that I would complain less potential risk for me lol

Ian Maxwell (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2011, 05:38:29 PM

No, it's definitely $2.10---I keep thinking it's $2.00 because that was what I had in mind when I started the thread (as its title indicates), but I changed my mind in the process of writing the first post.

Ian Maxwell
PGP key | WoT rating
demonofelru

View Profile
April 29, 2011, 05:58:55 PM

No, it's definitely $2.10---I keep thinking it's $2.00 because that was what I had in mind when I started the thread (as its title indicates), but I changed my mind in the process of writing the first post.

Hehe ok BTW your's was better then mine I'm not good at explaining options.

error

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 29, 2011, 06:11:09 PM

Perfect explanations, both of you. Thanks! Smiley

3KzNGwzRZ6SimWuFAgh4TnXzHpruHMZmV8
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: