Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 08:49:13 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it possible to find the IP address of a Bitcoin address?  (Read 2785 times)
Lorenzo (OP)

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 04, 2014, 01:13:07 AM

I found this quote in another thread:

Monero has a ton of bugs and nobody is able to fix them because - guess what -  Monero developers have no idea what thay are doing. I2P integration into CryptoNote? Who told you that would be a good idea??

Long  story short, i find Bytecoin more reliable.
You realize that without an IP solution any blockchain anonymity is rendered meaningless right?

So is it possible to find the IP address of any Bitcoin user via their Bitcoin address/transaction?

For example, here is a random address:

http://blockchain.info/address/1PFMGybSCDnoq8bHtzQD2vUfyHohsH8FF5

What would be/have been their IP address?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4616

View Profile
July 04, 2014, 01:41:27 AM

No way to know for certain.  Some guesses could be made, but there is no way to be sure if the guesses are accurate.

If you create a system that connects to enough peers, AND you can convince the owner of the address to send multiple transactions over a few days, AND the first peer to forward the transaction to you always comes from the same IP, then you've got an indication that the user might be at that IP. On the other hand, they might just be blocking incoming connections and have specifically chosen that peer as the only one they connect to.

On the other hand, I see that they received payments from CoinBox.me on 2014-02-24 at 13:55:52 UTC and BitChest.me on 2014-06-20 at 15:14:16 UTC.  Perhaps CoinBox.me keeps IP logs?  If you work for the governement wherever CoinBox.me is operating, you might be able to gain access to their connection logs and figure out who connect and used that address.

There are other ways to leak your IP address as well, but there is no reliable record in a bitcoin transaction or the blockchain of what IP a transaction is first transmitted from.
Lorenzo (OP)

View Profile
July 04, 2014, 02:02:02 AM

No way to know for certain.  Some guesses could be made, but there is no way to be sure if the guesses are accurate.

If you create a system that connects to enough peers, AND you can convince the owner of the address to send multiple transactions over a few days, AND the first peer to forward the transaction to you always comes from the same IP, then you've got an indication that the user might be at that IP. On the other hand, they might just be blocking incoming connections and have specifically chosen that peer as the only one they connect to.

On the other hand, I see that they received payments from CoinBox.me on 2014-02-24 at 13:55:52 UTC and BitChest.me on 2014-06-20 at 15:14:16 UTC.  Perhaps CoinBox.me keeps IP logs?  If you work for the governement wherever CoinBox.me is operating, you might be able to gain access to their connection logs and figure out who connect and used that address.

There are other ways to leak your IP address as well, but there is no reliable record in a bitcoin transaction or the blockchain of what IP a transaction is first transmitted from.

Ah, thanks for the reply.

So is the original quote right or wrong then? Would I2P implementation prevent the first scenario from happening and would an IP solution strengthen blockchain anonymity?

(Your second scenario was what I pretty much thought as well. Since Bitcoin is pseudonymous, it is still possible to find the IP address of a particular Bitcoin address by checking to see if any exchanges and services had sent or received bitcoins to/from that address and asking them directly. But I guess that's pretty obvious.)
byt411

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 04, 2014, 02:15:01 AM

Ah, thanks for the reply.

So is the original quote right or wrong then? Would I2P implementation prevent the first scenario from happening and would an IP solution strengthen blockchain anonymity?

(Your second scenario was what I pretty much thought as well. Since Bitcoin is pseudonymous, it is still possible to find the IP address of a particular Bitcoin address by checking to see if any exchanges and services had sent or received bitcoins to/from that address and asking them directly. But I guess that's pretty obvious.)

You can link an addresses' transactions to IPs, or ask companies from them, but you can't know if it is correct, and an actual Bitcoin Address doesn't have an IP tied to it. The user might be using a VPN or proxy, so the information is useless anyway.
Acidyo

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Will Bitcoin Rise Again to $60,000?

View Profile
July 04, 2014, 06:11:58 AM

I envy your replies and how much you seem to know about bitcoins.

There should be a subscribe button for accounts so that you can follow them and read every comment. Cheesy
SelbyTsang

Activity: 577
Merit: 504

View Profile
July 04, 2014, 01:23:28 PM

There is really no "IP address of a bitcoin address".
I can generate as many addresses as I want, without any internet connection.

On the other hand, some people may have the IP address of a bitcoin user.
For example, theymos would know my IP and your IP. Smiley

Velkro
Legendary

Activity: 2296
Merit: 1014

View Profile
July 04, 2014, 01:34:54 PM

Very interesting knowledge from this topic, so its actually possible to listen to for example Satoshi Nakamoto known addresses and wait from which IP it will be propagated. It would tell nationality of Satoshi.
SelbyTsang

Activity: 577
Merit: 504

View Profile
July 04, 2014, 01:55:19 PM

Very interesting knowledge from this topic, so its actually possible to listen to for example Satoshi Nakamoto known addresses and wait from which IP it will be propagated. It would tell nationality of Satoshi.

Not really. Satoshi could push the raw tx directly on https://blockchain.info/pushtx, behind VPN and Tor.

Yakamoto
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1007

View Profile
July 04, 2014, 07:25:21 PM

Not really. Satoshi could push the raw tx directly on https://blockchain.info/pushtx, behind VPN and Tor.
I've always wondered, how do you route transactions through Tor? It's been a gnawing question, and I guess I just got around to asking about it.

But, assuming it works how I think it does, it would be next to impossible for anyone to figure out what nationality Satoshi is if he does route it through Tor or a VPN (Or both).

In relation to the OP's question, and as stated by DannyHamilton, you can take guesses, but it will be decently difficult to get a 100% confirmation on what the IP of the sender is. He described the whole process.
thecoindoctor

Activity: 48
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 04, 2014, 07:32:02 PM

I found this quote in another thread:

Monero has a ton of bugs and nobody is able to fix them because - guess what -  Monero developers have no idea what thay are doing. I2P integration into CryptoNote? Who told you that would be a good idea??

Long  story short, i find Bytecoin more reliable.
You realize that without an IP solution any blockchain anonymity is rendered meaningless right?

So is it possible to find the IP address of any Bitcoin user via their Bitcoin address/transaction?

Not really, a lot of encryption to prevent that

Activity: 165
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 04, 2014, 07:33:16 PM

I think if you re-use the same adress the chnaces of somebody being able to work out your IP get greater.
fatguyyyyy

Bitcoin Mixer: https://BitLaunder.com

View Profile WWW
July 05, 2014, 01:40:19 AM

I dont think its possible...  Cheesy

BtcGains

Activity: 38

View Profile
July 05, 2014, 01:56:55 AM

No it certainly is not possible.
If you think IP relays have something to do with heir IP you are wrong, that's just the IP used to relay the transaction
Bitcoin was made to decentralise and keep people anonymous, not reveal IP's or else it would be the same as using PayPal
InwardContour

Activity: 644
Merit: 260

View Profile
July 05, 2014, 03:37:16 AM

Today - no for all intensive purposes it is not possible as so many people use programs like multibit, electrum and blockchain.info that make it difficult/impossible to potentially determine where a TX came from.

Maybe 2 years ago - yes, if you were watching the network closely enough and had enough nodes then in theory you could make this determination assuming the address you are looking at sends coins to another address.
Farmer17

Activity: 674
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 05, 2014, 04:00:40 PM

I've always wondered, how do you route transactions through Tor? It's been a gnawing question, and I guess I just got around to asking about it.

For Bitcoin Core:
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Running_Bitcoin
-proxy=<ip:port> Connect through SOCKS proxy
-socks=<n> Select SOCKS version for -proxy (4 or 5, default: 5)
-onion=<ip:port> Use separate SOCKS5 proxy to reach peers via Tor hidden services (default: -proxy)

For Electrum:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=113116.0;all
TCP : 56ckl5obj37gypcu.onion:50001  does work as of yesterday.

Justin00
Legendary

Activity: 910

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile
July 11, 2014, 10:18:14 AM

I've noticed if I have 2 wallets... load one up in bitcoin-qt.. then send BTC to my other wallet... for some reason... alot of the time it comes up with my IP in blockexplorer. I know blockexplorer uses the IP that it hears from, not the IP that originated the TX... but how come no transactions to anyone else comes up with my IP in blockexplorer.. and only transactions to wallets I own.. its not possible for blockexplorer/bitcoin-qt to know the adress I'm sending to is is my other wallet.dat

Huh

onlyu

Activity: 165
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 11, 2014, 10:32:12 AM

User who want to cash out will need to get online eventually.
BRE
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1014

Lucky.lat | Marketing Solutions & Implementations

View Profile WWW
July 11, 2014, 10:48:22 AM

yea only BC who know what your IP , or other online wallet where you keep your coins

but still , gov will knows everything about that

Lucky.lat | Marketing Solutions & Implementations

https://lucky.lat/

Contact Us!
sales@lucky.lat
drmundo

Activity: 42

View Profile
July 11, 2014, 06:15:35 PM

User who want to cash out will need to get online eventually.

yeah, but you cant find out regardless if they start tumbling their coins with a coin mixer.

similar how primedice does their hot wallets.
Coef

Activity: 882

Exhausted

View Profile
July 11, 2014, 06:25:15 PM

yea only BC who know what your IP , or other online wallet where you keep your coins

If you use blockchain.info wallet, then the site will know your IP, but you could still be hidden behind a VPN or proxy.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: