Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 03:41:52 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How does someone with a single wallet with 30k coins not feel vulnarable?  (Read 2843 times)
Este Nuno
Legendary

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

amarha

View Profile
July 05, 2014, 07:15:33 PM

How does quantum computing change the game at all? I know Satoshi was aware of the potential of quantum computing and had mentioned it once or twice. Anyone know much about how it will affect bitcoin?

Quantum computers are decades away from making any impact.  Bitcoin could be upgraded
to post-quantum cryptography in the future if necessary.

Are there any articles or anything about the topic? It sounds interesting. I don't really know what the theories are regarding how they could potentially break SHA256. It sounds interesting though.

And also are there already people theorizing on a post-quantum cryptography?

wikipedia is your friend (sometimes)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_computer

Yeah, but I was more looking for some articles written about it with regards to bitcoin. But thank you.
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
July 05, 2014, 08:13:47 PM

How does quantum computing change the game at all? I know Satoshi was aware of the potential of quantum computing and had mentioned it once or twice. Anyone know much about how it will affect bitcoin?

Quantum computers are decades away from making any impact.  Bitcoin could be upgraded
to post-quantum cryptography in the future if necessary.

Are there any articles or anything about the topic? It sounds interesting. I don't really know what the theories are regarding how they could potentially break SHA256. It sounds interesting though.

And also are there already people theorizing on a post-quantum cryptography?

wikipedia is your friend (sometimes)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_computer

Yeah, but I was more looking for some articles written about it with regards to bitcoin. But thank you.

according to Wikipedia, the largest number factored by a quantum computer was "143".
that's not a very big number.  so we are pretty far.  that's why no one is really
too concerned right now or writing many bitcoin articles about it.

fran2k

Activity: 784
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
July 05, 2014, 10:03:08 PM

Think about it. 30,000 coins. A public key that everyone knows about now. And perhaps 10,000 computers guessing at the private key? I'd feel vulnerable.

that is all
10,000 computers and still billions(or if not, then millions) of years away before they may hit a key.

This.

Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: