Bitcoin Forum
June 24, 2024, 01:59:23 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: EU Banks Must Shun Bitcoin Until Rules in Place, EBA Says  (Read 1391 times)
poncom (OP)

Activity: 318
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 04, 2014, 10:46:57 AM

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-07-04/eu-banks-must-shun-bitcoin-until-rules-in-place-eba-says.html

Does anyone have more information about this?
davidgdg

Activity: 551
Merit: 501

View Profile
July 04, 2014, 11:40:17 AM

http://www.eba.europa.eu/-/eba-proposes-potential-regulatory-regime-for-virtual-currencies-but-also-advises-that-financial-institutions-should-not-buy-hold-or-sell-them-whilst-n

"There is only one thing that is seriously morally wrong with the world, and that is politics. By 'politics' I mean all that, and only what, involves the State." Jan Lester "Escape from Leviathan"
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1011

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
July 04, 2014, 12:35:12 PM

regulation will happen, banks can start taking bitcoin. good news  Wink

Robert Paulson

Activity: 448

View Profile
July 04, 2014, 12:47:56 PM

did you really expect the banks to simply accept the system that was created to destroy them?
never was the power of printing money given away for free, if you want honest money prepare to fight for it...
SpontaneousDream

Activity: 44
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 04, 2014, 02:06:19 PM

did you really expect the banks to simply accept the system that was created to destroy them?
never was the power of printing money given away for free, if you want honest money prepare to fight for it...

Agreed. I wonder how much/what type of regulation could be most detrimental to mass adoption of Bitcoin?
Bagatell

Activity: 722
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 04, 2014, 03:01:54 PM

"And that raises a meta-issue lurking behind the EBA report: It was written over many months, of course, but it arrives in the wake of an EU election that signaled a rejection of Brussels’ “bureaucratic overreach,” as the New York Times put it last week.

This raises an important question: Will Europe—that is, the EU member states and their people—listen to this report from “Europe”—the EU bureaucracy? Or will they continue to work in a decentralized fashion on getting the benefits of Bitcoin while controlling the risks?"

https://bitcoinfoundation.org/2014/07/04/will-europe-listen-to-europe/
Este Nuno
Legendary

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

amarha

View Profile
July 04, 2014, 03:45:02 PM

It seems pretty standard all over the world that banking regulations are coming out telling banks not to deal in bitcoin(yet anyway). I'm pretty ambivalent about the whole thing because while banks buying up bitcoins would be nice on the price, I couldn't care less about them offering their bitcoin "services" to me if they are going to be anything like what they currently offer for fiat.
lihuajkl
Legendary

Activity: 1596

View Profile
July 04, 2014, 04:24:15 PM

regulation will happen, banks can start taking bitcoin. good news  Wink
I don't think it will happen soon. The report don't really support BTC.
arbitrage001
Legendary

Activity: 1067

View Profile
July 04, 2014, 04:46:26 PM

Anyone still able to deposit and withdraw fiat from bitstamp and btc-e with this ruling?
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
July 04, 2014, 04:51:32 PM

http://www.bloomberg.com/video/european-banks-advised-to-shun-bitcoin-gpvuzM2_QlWyyO9qqxWFcA.html

davidgdg

Activity: 551
Merit: 501

View Profile
July 04, 2014, 04:52:45 PM

Anyone still able to deposit and withdraw fiat from bitstamp and btc-e with this ruling?

It has no effect. The report contains no regulations. All it does is "discourage" banks from holding virtual currencies (which none of them do anyway).

"There is only one thing that is seriously morally wrong with the world, and that is politics. By 'politics' I mean all that, and only what, involves the State." Jan Lester "Escape from Leviathan"
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
July 04, 2014, 04:53:52 PM

Fidor Bank in germany already deals very open-mindend with bitcoin business and maybe they are the first bank where you can store BTC in the future. not today, but in the future.

do i think other banks will store btc and deal with it? yes, in the end i think they will do that.

fact is: you just need 1-2 banks worldwide which start to deal with btc and you will see a snowball-effect. no one wants to be the last.

Bitcoinpro
Legendary

Activity: 1344

View Profile
July 04, 2014, 05:16:14 PM

Economy 1.0 trying to find a floor

WWW.FACEBOOK.COM

CRYPTOCURRENCY CENTRAL BANK

LTC: LP7bcFENVL9vdmUVea1M6FMyjSmUfsMVYf
zimmah
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1005

View Profile
July 04, 2014, 05:22:20 PM

actually the fact that the central banks feel the need to warn regular banks to not use bitcoin (note it's not illegal, just not adviced) means that they are worried the banks are seriously thinking about getting their feet wet with bitcoin.

Otherwise they would not issue a warning like this.

all these sensationalists completely misinterpreting the news all the time.
arbitrage001
Legendary

Activity: 1067

View Profile
July 05, 2014, 05:09:35 AM

actually the fact that the central banks feel the need to warn regular banks to not use bitcoin (note it's not illegal, just not adviced) means that they are worried the banks are seriously thinking about getting their feet wet with bitcoin.

Otherwise they would not issue a warning like this.

all these sensationalists completely misinterpreting the news all the time.

My personal opinion is, in the unlikely event that bitcoin do become mainstream, half of the current banks in the world will not survive the transition.
Robert Paulson

Activity: 448

View Profile
July 05, 2014, 12:25:54 PM

Fidor Bank in germany already deals very open-mindend with bitcoin business and maybe they are the first bank where you can store BTC in the future. not today, but in the future.

do i think other banks will store btc and deal with it? yes, in the end i think they will do that.

fact is: you just need 1-2 banks worldwide which start to deal with btc and you will see a snowball-effect. no one wants to be the last.

one bank who is foolish enough to support the system that wants to replace it doesn't mean other banks will jump on board.
there is no way the banks will give up their monopoly on money creation peacefully.
if bitcoin continues to grow it will be outlawed for the sake of "economic stability", just like the US government stole everyone's gold 80 years ago when the fractional reserve fraud was starting to fall apart taking the banks with it.
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Executive_Order_6102)

unfortunately freedom is never given for free, if you want to be free again like your forefathers were just 100 years ago you better prepare to fight.
TheTruth4

Activity: 108
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 07:37:49 AM

We've got rules. And they're better enforced by our software than your central bank's rules ever are.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: