Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 04:09:09 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin constitution?  (Read 1530 times)
beatljuice (OP)

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 04, 2014, 04:18:45 PM

I was reading the EBA Opinion on ‘virtual currencies’ (http://www.eba.europa.eu/documents/10180/657547/EBA-Op-2014-08+Opinion+on+Virtual+Currencies.pdf) and it made me think of something that might be a good or bad idea. But I thought it might at least make for a cool discussion even if it's not workable. Please shoot these ideas down and/or improve on them.

What if we had guiding principles in place for the Bitcoin protocol? Preferably codded into the protocol - making it necessary to hard-fork for a change in this "constitution."

Here are some possible principles that might be included:
  • No one can be restricted from transmitting any amount they want
  • The code will always be open
  • No entity smaller than 51% of total users/minors/nodes can govern Bitcoin (Obviously this one will require huge debate about what it means.)
  • Contributions to the core network will be rewarded (Could we create a pool of transaction fees that rewards Coders? Minors? Noders?)
  • Some sort of sanctity/equality of transactions? We don't want to stifle free market, but we also don't want to have transactions not go through which also might affect the free market.
  • No special treatment for any entity (government, exchange, user, etc.)

You get the idea. Discus!
kuzetsa

Activity: 369
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 05, 2014, 09:19:51 PM

Some of those ideas aren't bad, but I don't understand why this is in the "legal" sub-forum.

• The 51% thing isn't something I want to discuss, and definitely makes think of the awkward feeling I have about the way just a few large mining pools are currently centralizing a lot of control over how and what can be included in the blockchain.
  • A few of your points can be summed up in a single word: fungibility ~ [link on wikipedia]
    Special restriction, privileges, or treatment of any transaction (or of any entity) can only diminish bitcoin's value:
    Bitcoin has fungibility, and should continue to have as much fungibility as possible.
beatljuice (OP)

View Profile
July 06, 2014, 04:47:05 PM
Last edit: July 06, 2014, 05:00:29 PM by beatljuice

Some of those ideas aren't bad, but I don't understand why this is in the "legal" sub-forum.

<shrug> I wasn't sure where to put it, and a constitution is considered a legal document.

• The 51% thing isn't something I want to discuss, and definitely makes think of the awkward feeling I have about the way just a few large mining pools are currently centralizing a lot of control over how and what can be included in the blockchain.
  • A few of your points can be summed up in a single word: fungibility ~ [link on wikipedia]
    Special restriction, privileges, or treatment of any transaction (or of any entity) can only diminish bitcoin's value:
    Bitcoin has fungibility, and should continue to have as much fungibility as possible.

I question how good the minors being able to choose which blocks to mine and/or transactions to include is. On the surface, as a libertarian, I love the idea, but doesn't this affect fungibility to an extent? A few pennies don't mean much to us westerners, but can mean quite a bit to someone in Uganda.

You might argue for something like a "no transaction goes more than 50 blocks without being confirmed no matter how much the minor's fee was," rule - but that starts to sound like the whole net-neutrality debate where the people willing to pay get the fast bandwidth.
LostDutchman

Activity: 476

View Profile WWW
July 07, 2014, 04:32:37 PM

Just how much control over Bitcoin to you people want to give away?

Corporations For Crypto
Protect Your Assets and Reduce Your Tax Liability With A Kansas Corporation!
We Demand Justice From BFL
beatljuice (OP)

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 07:33:21 PM

Want to explain what you're asking?

I thought all my suggestions were helping keep Bitcoin free from control, and was hoping to hear other ideas, but I need a little more to chew on than a vague question.
LostDutchman

Activity: 476

View Profile WWW
July 08, 2014, 02:47:46 AM

Want to explain what you're asking?

I thought all my suggestions were helping keep Bitcoin free from control, and was hoping to hear other ideas, but I need a little more to chew on than a vague question.

My point is that even creating such a document or service establishes a precedent that you don't want in place.

Corporations For Crypto
Protect Your Assets and Reduce Your Tax Liability With A Kansas Corporation!
We Demand Justice From BFL
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: