Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 09:03:25 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Anarcho-capitalism, Monopolies, Private dictatorships  (Read 14826 times)
DrSammyD

Activity: 55
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 25, 2011, 07:56:11 PM

2. It's called insurance.
Yes, the state insures us against anticompetitive behaviour from market leaders. Good point.
But I have a feeling that's not what you meant, in which case you were just making a dim-witted point trying very hard not to understand what the OP was saying.

And you assume no other insurer could be more efficient, or in fact even possible.
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitterTea

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 25, 2011, 07:57:18 PM

Who insures us against anticompetitive and antisocial behavior from the state?!
Anonymous

May 25, 2011, 07:57:34 PM

2. It's called insurance.
Yes, the state insures us against anticompetitive behaviour from market leaders. Good point.
But I have a feeling that's not what you meant, in which case you were just making a dim-witted point trying very hard not to understand what the OP was saying.
We don't need the state to insure it. Private companies can do it much better.
Anonymous

May 25, 2011, 07:57:47 PM

+1
stillfire

Activity: 124
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 25, 2011, 07:58:59 PM

1. defending against force is frequently more expensive.

2. and anyone building a building should budget against a competitor sending a guy with a wrecking ball.  obtaining sufficient capital to defend against force from an established competitor in a market with non-negligible entry costs is very unlikely to be possible.

Your proposal to avoid defending against force is to create a law. But a law is merely force we all pay for. So your idea comes down to making others pay for the force required to defend your private, for profit venture.

Which brings us back to the question of whether you have some kind of right to create competition, so that the rest of us are morally obliged to assist you in making money.

And I say we are not. The market does not owe you the right to be successful in creating a copycat project selling a product no better than the status quo at a higher price.

If you want to compete against a company, either be better, more innovative or cheaper.

Lost your wallet password? Try Stillfire's Password Recovery Service.
Anonymous

May 25, 2011, 08:00:56 PM

Imagine a No Business Left Behind type of legislation. lol
grondilu
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1076

View Profile
May 25, 2011, 08:05:14 PM

1. defending against force is frequently more expensive.

2. and anyone building a building should budget against a competitor sending a guy with a wrecking ball.  obtaining sufficient capital to defend against force from an established competitor in a market with non-negligible entry costs is very unlikely to be possible.

Your proposal to avoid defending against force is to create a law. But a law is merely force we all pay for. So your idea comes down to making others pay for the force required to defend your private, for profit venture.

Exactly.  Using force to defend property is expensive for sure.   But having the State do it, doesn't make it free.  It just makes everybody pay for everyone.   It's certainly not moral, and probably not even efficient.

JA37

Activity: 378

View Profile
May 25, 2011, 08:50:15 PM

We don't need the state to insure it. Private companies can do it much better.
Please find me a private insurance company with the resources and right to enter and search other companies that engage in anti-competative behaviour. Those who do such things will not cooperate with anyone investigating them.
Feel free to expand on how you think this should work.

Or should the insurance be of the kind that I just claim to have been wronged to receive money? Or the other way around, where I can be wronged to death but nothing can ever be proved and I will never get an insurance payout.

Ponzi me: http://fxnet.bitlex.org/?ref=588
Thanks to the anonymous person who doubled my BTC wealth by sending 0.02 BTC to: 1BSGbFq4G8r3uckpdeQMhP55ScCJwbvNnG
JA37

View Profile
May 25, 2011, 08:51:30 PM

Voting.

Thanks to the anonymous person who doubled my BTC wealth by sending 0.02 BTC to: 1BSGbFq4G8r3uckpdeQMhP55ScCJwbvNnG
Anonymous

May 25, 2011, 08:51:39 PM

There's no such thing as anti-competitive behavior in a free market.
Anonymous

May 25, 2011, 08:52:14 PM

Voting.
lol no

That only assures 50% +1 gets their whims and desires heard. ...and the other 49% can get fucked in the ass.

DrSammyD

Activity: 55
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 25, 2011, 08:55:44 PM

Atlas, want to make a bet that he supports "anti-competitive behavior" of workers (unions)?
JA37

View Profile
May 25, 2011, 09:01:45 PM

Then why do you see it every now and then in the news? Oligopolys were formed by market leaders to push up prices . This happens both in very diverse markets, both free and not so free. One example that comes to mind was a paving oligopoly that was broken up not so long ago. Would you say that paving is something that is protected by the state and that no free market exist there?

I'm sure you would. As long as there's a state somewhere in the world it can be blamed for everything by anarchists. It seems.

gene

Activity: 252

View Profile
May 25, 2011, 09:05:17 PM

Voting.
lol no

That only assures 50% +1 gets their whims and desires heard. ...and the other 49% can get fucked in the ass.

<infantile cartoon>

If you think that your fellow human beings are "sinners, whores, freaks and unnameable things that rape pit bulls for fun," then you have some serious problems. And I'm not joking.

*processing payment* *error 404 : funds not found*
Do you want to complain on the forum just to fall for another scam a few days later?
| YES       |        YES |
BitterTea

View Profile
May 25, 2011, 09:07:15 PM

Then why do you see it every now and then in the news? Oligopolys were formed by market leaders to push up prices . This happens both in very diverse markets, both free and not so free. One example that comes to mind was a paving oligopoly that was broken up not so long ago. Would you say that paving is something that is protected by the state and that no free market exist there?

I'm sure you would. As long as there's a state somewhere in the world it can be blamed for everything by anarchists. It seems.

Perhaps because almost all markets are regulated by the state?

I feel like a broken record here, but there is no such thing as a corporation without the the implicit and explicit grant of privilege by states.
BitterTea

View Profile
May 25, 2011, 09:09:33 PM

If you think that your fellow human beings are "sinners, whores, freaks and unnameable things that rape pit bulls for fun," then you have some serious problems. And I'm not joking.

Do you assume that most people are good? Then why do we need states?

Do you assume that most people are bad? Then how can you dare put some in a position of power?
JA37

View Profile
May 25, 2011, 09:12:14 PM

lol no

Good thing most people follows the "Do unto others..." motto. And that kind of voting doesn't really exist, does it? There are systems to prevent it everywhere.
Also, a very dark way of looking at people. What about the "informed self interest" that was so popular here not too long ago? Being "fucked in the ass" isn't really in most peoples self interest so your graphic and dark comic is entertaining at best, misleading at worst.

And it's too late for me to do this right now. I'm off.

BitterTea

View Profile
May 25, 2011, 09:13:36 PM

lol no

Good thing most people follows the "Do unto others..." motto.

Great! Then we agree that states are not necessary!
stillfire

Activity: 124
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 25, 2011, 09:47:56 PM

Good thing most people follows the "Do unto others..." motto.

As I have stated before in this thread, you can't claim democracy to be on your side. If the majority did not like your pavement company and their monopoly - and I apologise because I don't know the actual details on that story - then they could easily prevent it through buying their pavement elsewhere. They choose not to, and chances are a larger number of people made that choice than the few politicians who ruled against them.

People voted against your vision of the perfect society and you overrode the majority through flaws in the democratic process. Chances are you own a pavement company of your own and had a bigger lobbying budget. That's not democracy. The people are not with you. You are the minority, the squeaky wheel, the back room manipulator, the cancer man.

Lost your wallet password? Try Stillfire's Password Recovery Service.
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
May 25, 2011, 10:21:59 PM

There is no such thing as a democratic state anywhere on Earth.  Democracy doesn't work on any scale larger than a church business meeting.  All these "democracies" are representative republics of some kind.  This is not remotely the same thing.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: