Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 08:21:39 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Forum change request  (Read 1123 times)
gadsdengraphics (OP)

Activity: 88
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 07, 2012, 07:26:18 PM

It is *very* difficult to find out why a "new" user doesn't have rights to post in most forums. I have been registered for over six months, and only today finally found this section which explained why I couldn't post.

In my opinion, this is an onerous and counterproductive requirement that is severely limiting the growth of this forum, and by extension, the Bitcoin community.

I do understand why it's there - there should *at least* be a notice somewhere, though. Perhaps send new users a PM automatically explaining it, if nothing else?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Jambo

Activity: 24
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 07, 2012, 07:31:42 PM

RESTRICTIONS FOR NEW MEMBERS

After registering, you will be unable to post in any section except "newbies" until you have spent some time on the forum and have published a few posts.

If you are registering to ask a question, please ask it in the newbies section. Do not wait to ask it just because you must post it in "newbies": the question is very likely to have already been asked. If you don't end up getting good responses, you can ask it again elsewhere after you are established, or you can move the entire topic.

If you are commenting on Bitcoin, use your newbie wait time to read more about Bitcoin. If you are criticizing Bitcoin, find similar criticism using the search tool to see which points have already been covered. A good use of your newbie wait time is reading Satoshi's old posts.

I guess it's just too hard to read the first lines of the TOS when you register.

It sucks IMO, but the rule stands for good a reason.
PatrickHarnett

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 07, 2012, 07:44:05 PM

Reading this two ways, I ended up preferring the second version by laughing out loud.  Why, because if it's taken you six months (more, you registered in July) to work out the forum rules, then you should not be allowed to post on to the main forum.
Nim

Activity: 67

View Profile
March 07, 2012, 07:48:07 PM

Reading this two ways, I ended up preferring the second version by laughing out loud.  Why, because if it's taken you six months (more, you registered in July) to work out the forum rules, then you should not be allowed to post on to the main forum.
Way to encourage those newbies. What other rules would you like to add to the forum to help keep people out? We definitely need to make sure bitcoin doesn't grow at all.
gadsdengraphics (OP)

View Profile
March 07, 2012, 07:57:25 PM

RESTRICTIONS FOR NEW MEMBERS

After registering, you will be unable to post in any section except "newbies" until you have spent some time on the forum and have published a few posts.

If you are registering to ask a question, please ask it in the newbies section. Do not wait to ask it just because you must post it in "newbies": the question is very likely to have already been asked. If you don't end up getting good responses, you can ask it again elsewhere after you are established, or you can move the entire topic.

If you are commenting on Bitcoin, use your newbie wait time to read more about Bitcoin. If you are criticizing Bitcoin, find similar criticism using the search tool to see which points have already been covered. A good use of your newbie wait time is reading Satoshi's old posts.

I guess it's just too hard to read the first lines of the TOS when you register.

It sucks IMO, but the rule stands for good a reason.

I don't believe the rule was in place when I registered. To my knowledge, I received no notice at all.
gadsdengraphics (OP)

View Profile
March 07, 2012, 07:59:18 PM

I see the rule was in place. I suppose it is most likely I simply didn't notice it.

As for it taking half a year --- did it occur to you that posting on a niche forum doesn't rank #1 on my priority list?
PatrickHarnett

View Profile
March 07, 2012, 08:10:05 PM

Way to encourage those newbies. What other rules would you like to add to the forum to help keep people out? We definitely need to make sure bitcoin doesn't grow at all.
I registered in June, the rules were in place then.  I did a lot of reading and some fairly pointless initial posts.  The forum was much more aggressive then, and the mods and users have helped clean it up.  There are still some interesting shit fights that occur from time to time.  Also, don't confuse the use or growth of bitcoin with this single forum.  

The way I first read the post was that  most people new to the forum have very little trouble working out what the requirements are, and https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=7269.0 is not hard to find being the major stickied thread in the top topic.  There has been sufficient posting about the newbie restriction to make it clear what is going on https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=39.0

I would also observe that many of the newbie threads are read by established users and those users also post to those threads.

As a second post, however, demanding a change to an established forum when there are so many threads, posts and established users is out of place.

PatrickHarnett

View Profile
March 07, 2012, 08:14:52 PM

I see the rule was in place. I suppose it is most likely I simply didn't notice it.

As for it taking half a year --- did it occur to you that posting on a niche forum doesn't rank #1 on my priority list?

True, many people come and go.  They register, get interested and drop off.  However, if you consider this a low priority niche, your request doesn't appear to reconcile.  Aside from that, your post count is already above the minimum, and then there's just the pesky time requirement.  I look forward to seeing your name around the board.

Off to read the latest "why bitcoin will fail" thread.
gadsdengraphics (OP)

View Profile
March 07, 2012, 08:40:03 PM

True, many people come and go.  They register, get interested and drop off.  However, if you consider this a low priority niche, your request doesn't appear to reconcile.  Aside from that, your post count is already above the minimum, and then there's just the pesky time requirement.  I look forward to seeing your name around the board.

Off to read the latest "why bitcoin will fail" thread.

I'm interested in Bitcoin, but I'm lucky enough to have several real life friends who are as well. I also found Reddit, which has served to keep me pretty up to date on news - the only times I've ended up over here are when it's linked on Reddit. Curiosity finally got the better of me Smiley

I think I'll try my hand at collecting some of the bounties offered. I already have an online business that accepts Bitcoin, though not via an integrated means.  Maybe I'll go install osCommerce and set up a secondary storefront.
Nim

View Profile
March 07, 2012, 08:43:19 PM

Reading this two ways, I ended up preferring the second version by laughing out loud.  Why, because if it's taken you six months (more, you registered in July) to work out the forum rules, then you should not be allowed to post on to the main forum.
I registered in June, the rules were in place then.  I did a lot of reading and some fairly pointless initial posts.  The forum was much more aggressive then, and the mods and users have helped clean it up.  There are still some interesting shit fights that occur from time to time.  Also, don't confuse the use or growth of bitcoin with this single forum.  

The way I first read the post was that  most people new to the forum have very little trouble working out what the requirements are, and https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=7269.0 is not hard to find being the major stickied thread in the top topic.  There has been sufficient posting about the newbie restriction to make it clear what is going on https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=39.0

I would also observe that many of the newbie threads are read by established users and those users also post to those threads.

As a second post, however, demanding a change to an established forum when there are so many threads, posts and established users is out of place.
How is it out of place? Because the system already exists and can't be changed? That's false. Because the system has been doing it for so long and you don't want to change now? False due to sunk cost fallacy. Because he isn't an "established user"? False. Arguments should be judged on their rationality, not the tenure of the person stating them.

I rail against the fraternity pledge hazing mindset everywhere I see it. The idea that he shouldn't care anymore because the hazing period is over or nearly over is ridiculous. Am I tilting at windmills? Perhaps.
PatrickHarnett

View Profile
March 07, 2012, 08:44:18 PM

I'm interested in Bitcoin, but I'm lucky enough to have several real life friends who are as well. I also found Reddit, which has served to keep me pretty up to date on news - the only times I've ended up over here are when it's linked on Reddit. Curiosity finally got the better of me Smiley

I think I'll try my hand at collecting some of the bounties offered. I already have an online business that accepts Bitcoin, though not via an integrated means.  Maybe I'll go install osCommerce and set up a secondary storefront.

Now that's interesting (although off topic) - what's the online business that takes bitcoin?
PatrickHarnett

View Profile
March 07, 2012, 08:50:32 PM

How is it out of place? Because the system already exists and can't be changed? That's false. Because the system has been doing it for so long and you don't want to change now? False due to sunk cost fallacy. Because he isn't an "established user"? False. Arguments should be judged on their rationality, not the tenure of the person stating them.

I rail against the fraternity pledge hazing mindset everywhere I see it. The idea that he shouldn't care anymore because the hazing period is over or nearly over is ridiculous. Am I tilting at windmills? Perhaps.

Nice reference to Quixotie, although it was such a small part of the book.  Tilting at windmills because they look like dangerous giants.

The system can, of course, be changed.  The comment is out of place because it has been discussed previously and often.  A new user is as entitled as any other to request change, and if you are going to do that, you might put a request to the people that run the forum, rather than broadcasting.

Not sure why you are binging up some of those other arguments, I must have unintentionally made you very angry. 
gadsdengraphics (OP)

View Profile
March 07, 2012, 09:49:10 PM
Last edit: March 08, 2012, 12:30:56 AM by gadsdengraphics

I think I'll try my hand at collecting some of the bounties offered. I already have an online business that accepts Bitcoin, though not via an integrated means.  Maybe I'll go install osCommerce and set up a secondary storefront.

Now that's interesting (although off topic) - what's the online business that takes bitcoin?

I sell vinyl decals - http://gadsdengraphics.com/store/. Be warned, they're mostly political, and range from "christian conservative" to Anarcho-Capitalist. The option to pay in Bitcoin is in checkout, and is fully manual - I have to convert to BTC using a 24h weighted average, send an invoice via email with an address for payment, verify payment, then mark as saved.

On my list of projects though it to write an Authorize.net-compatible hosted payment processor that accepts Bitcoin, at least for my own store. I'll probably open source it and see if I can't make a few Satoshis off of transaction fees for my hosted version.
Nim

View Profile
March 07, 2012, 11:27:30 PM

Not sure why you are binging up some of those other arguments, I must have unintentionally made you very angry. 
Ah, the "u mad?....he mad" argument. Unfortunately, I can't counter arguments that don't exist in rational discourse so you win that one.
RandyFolds

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 07, 2012, 11:49:53 PM

If you saw the level of spamming and scamming before the requirement existed, you would probably have a different stance. It in not 'hazing' in any sense. If you have a worthwhile contribution that requires attention in one of the subforums, being whitelisted is only one post away. Otherwise, taking a bit of time to learn the material and community is probably beneficial for everyone.

On the other hand, bots offering SEO do have their charm.  Tongue
PatrickHarnett

View Profile
March 08, 2012, 12:32:27 AM

Ah, the "u mad?....he mad" argument. Unfortunately, I can't counter arguments that don't exist in rational discourse so you win that one.

Hmmm, I could ask if you're crazy instead, because your first five posts to this forum are along the lines of "I know better than you and your rules suck".  I now understand you were not targeting my reply in particular.  Plus there are enough nuts here.

However, I will be looking out for your posts because they are amusing.  You should also feel honoured because you even managed to get a "RandyFolds" response.  (Starfish waves at Randy)  At some stage someone will come along and be mean on purpose.  Enjoy the forum  Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: