Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 09:30:04 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Keeping ASIC Miner(s) from Heating the Room?  (Read 2588 times)
loszhor (OP)

Activity: 369
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 05, 2014, 12:46:41 AM

I recently started mining with a newer, much larger ASIC miner and my family says it's exhaust is heating the room up. I don't know if it's truly the miner or it's the summer heat that's starting to kick in but for arguments sake let's say it is the miner. My question would be how can I keep the heat from the exhaust from raising the room temperature? Is there a to effectively direct it elsewhere or have something absorb it to keep it from dispersing across the room? The current things I have done at the moment are opening a window and bringing in fans for the room.

The ASICs I have running are a BFL Jalapeno, Antminer S1, and a Hashra Lunar Launcher.

16wQCVFXYuSp4AYsBqV9Uqa2dd1V4YXvJ5
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Glizlack

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 05, 2014, 01:33:14 AM

You can build a box around all the units. Usually out of some sort of foam insulation make a hole on the bottom front for fresh air. On the top of back make another hole for exhaust. Run some sort of flexible pipe out window. Problem solved.

Yes this is the super simple explanation but its enough to get you started in searching for the exact design you want. Most do include fans in the exhaust to pull the heat off the asics.

Steve

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PRIMEDICE
The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience @PrimeDice
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
ALToids

Activity: 519
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 06, 2014, 09:38:03 AM

While you can try to route the heat out a window as described above your will most likely have to move the miners to a different room if possible.  Routing heat is difficult unless close to a window.
bbeesley

Activity: 121

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 12:33:11 AM

After enjoying a winter where I never needed to run the heat in my office, I moved my miners out into the garage for the summer to keep them from driving me out of the house.

1A3vU4r4typS1jNFfaJjvm77ZHMtqEvB4F
cinnamon_carter
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018

It's about time -- All merrit accepted !!!

View Profile WWW
July 07, 2014, 12:35:14 AM

large asic units may not be safe to be close to you /your family over long periods of time , something to think about

Check out my coin Photon
Merge Mine 5 other Blake 256 coins - 6x your hash power  https://www.blakecoin.org/

The obvious choice is not always the best choice.

LOOK DEEPER - Look into the Blake 256 Family -- CC
bbeesley

Activity: 121

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 01:22:01 AM

large asic units may not be safe to be close to you /your family over long periods of time , something to think about

can you provide any scientific research to support this?  

ASIC miners, no matter how large are simply heat producers.   They aren't throwing out microwaves or any other sort of radiation beyond their thermal output

they will warm a room but if they will shut down long before they do so to the point where it would harm a human

1A3vU4r4typS1jNFfaJjvm77ZHMtqEvB4F
gpfleging

Activity: 51
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 11, 2014, 02:17:10 AM

Some of the 1st generation bigger miners can put out insane amounts of heat.  I have an Avalon 2 200 GHs miner that I had to put in the attic as it generated soo much heat in my climate controlled computer room that my air handler couldn't keep up with the heat and the room temp went from 74F to 79F with the AC running constantly.  I looked at water cooling for my system as well, but I have great ventilation in the attic so was just easier to put it up there.
wannaBaMiner

Activity: 31

View Profile
July 12, 2014, 03:10:40 AM

You can build a box around all the units. Usually out of some sort of foam insulation make a hole on the bottom front for fresh air. On the top of back make another hole for exhaust. Run some sort of flexible pipe out window. Problem solved.

Yes this is the super simple explanation but its enough to get you started in searching for the exact design you want. Most do include fans in the exhaust to pull the heat off the asics.

Steve

- Just a note on the "foam insulation" remember you are working with heat. You may want to go with an inexpensive heat insulation and make like a shell be sure to put the tinfoil side facing in. Leave a few inches all the way around the actual unit or units, bottom can be left open, or build a stand and then you can use regular ridged styro-foam to build the enclosure, a little duck tape and some flexible dryer exhaust hose. Decorate your enclosure as you see fit. As Steve said "Problem solved."
ALToids

Activity: 519
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 13, 2014, 06:55:25 AM

ASIC miners, no matter how large are simply heat producers.   They aren't throwing out microwaves or any other sort of radiation beyond their thermal output

they will warm a room but if they will shut down long before they do so to the point where it would harm a human

The radiation is a minimal issue unless you sleep next to the miner.  Remember the intensity decreases with the square of the distance.

The real issue are the chemicals released from the heated components - they give off toxic gases when heated - known as VOCs:

http://www.health.state.mn.us/divs/eh/indoorair/voc/
theweiss

Activity: 104
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 08, 2014, 03:08:42 PM

The radiation is a minimal issue unless you sleep next to the miner.  Remember the intensity decreases with the square of the distance.

The real issue are the chemicals released from the heated components - they give off toxic gases when heated - known as VOCs:

http://www.health.state.mn.us/divs/eh/indoorair/voc/

This came up another thread.  Is there any credible evidence that any current hardware gives off a meaningful amount of VOCs?
Aclarity

Activity: 33

View Profile
September 08, 2014, 03:51:20 PM

asic hot, not good, can burn finger
lowbander80
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 08, 2014, 05:23:54 PM

its the miners+summer
I had high temps at home so moved them to my warehouse...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: