Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 06:02:46 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: People need to stop calling Bitcoin "a virtual currency"  (Read 2789 times)
Biodom (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 3868

View Profile
July 05, 2014, 07:07:59 PM

The Bitcoin Foundation and community as a whole needs to step up to educate regulators to STOP using the derogatory term "virtual currency" as EU banking authority described it.

Bitcoin, litecoin, etc are digital or cryptocurrencies.

Try making just ONE bitcoin yourself and see how "virtual" it is.
It is absolutely certainly requires much more work than minting or printing $1, and I am not even talking about making a $1 by some ledger adjustment at the FED.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Ron~Popeil

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 05, 2014, 07:11:49 PM

The Bitcoin Foundation and community as a whole needs to step up to educate regulators to STOP using the derogatory term "virtual currency" as EU banking authority described it. Bitcoin (litecoin, etc) are digital or cryptocurrencies.

Try making just ONE bitcoin yourself and see how "virtual" it is.
It is absolutely certainly requires much more work than minting or printing $1, and I am not even talking about making a $1 by some ledger adjustment at the FED.

I have thought about this some myself. Calling it virtual makes it sound like it isn't real. I prefer crypto currency which sounds real and has much more of a coolness factor.

E-valuta

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 05, 2014, 07:56:47 PM

E-Currency. Ofcourse. E-mail and now E-currency. Digital Works as well but short Version is e-currency. Cryptocurrency sounds too scary for Public adoption, and geeky.. will never be used by the masses. Just as much as People digital mail crypted mail  Cheesy
Erdogan
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1005

View Profile
July 05, 2014, 08:08:04 PM

Virtual is the wrong word. Cryptomoney or cryptocurrency. It is about time that cryptography comes into the limelight.
commandrix

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 05, 2014, 08:14:49 PM

The problem with using the term "virtual currency" is that it could also be used to describe credit cards and the money people have in their Paypal accounts (which isn't us, right? RIGHT?!). I've been using "cryptocurrencies" and "altcoins" pretty regularly when I talk about it, because when I don't have time for a lengthy explanation, it's easier for me to say, "They're sorta like Bitcoin."
bg002h
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1463
Merit: 1047

I outlived my lifetime membership:)

View Profile WWW
July 05, 2014, 08:47:13 PM

September, 2013, Bitcoin Foundation to Federal Election Commission: "Bitcoins are often referred to as 'virtual currency.' The Bitcoin Foundation prefers the term 'digital currency.' "

https://bitcoinfoundation.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/Bitcoin-Foundation-FEC-filing-CAF-Advisory-Opinion.pdf

Virtual currency is a term defined by FinCEN; it encompasses digital currencies, tokens, pre-paid gift cards, etc I suppose...

…"virtual" currency is a medium of exchange that operates like a currency in some environments, but does not have all the attributes of real currency. In particular, virtual currency does not have legal tender status in any jurisdiction. This guidance addresses "convertible" virtual currency. This type of virtual currency either has an equivalent value in real currency, or acts as a substitute for real currency…

http://www.fincen.gov/statutes_regs/guidance/html/FIN-2013-G001.html

Hardforks aren't that hard. It’s getting others to use them that's hard.
1GCDzqmX2Cf513E8NeThNHxiYEivU1Chhe
Malin Keshar

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 05, 2014, 08:56:57 PM

The biggest problem with the name virtual currency , for me, is that it suggests that BTC can only be used to internet and web based stuff and business, while we all know that it can be used to physical stores and in day-to-day trades.
Virtual is not an offense since the internet boom.
btcton
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1007

View Profile
July 05, 2014, 09:01:56 PM

"Virtual" just reminds me of money in online games, mostly MMOs. It has the connotation that it is one-way (that is, you pay fiat for them but can't convert them back to fiat). They also make you think they can't be used for anything outside of a limited environment, which obviously isn't the case with bitcoin.

The signature campaign posters adding useless redundant fluff to their posts to reach their minimum word count are lowering my IQ.
ajareselde
Legendary

Activity: 1722

Satoshi is rolling in his grave. #bitcoin

View Profile
July 05, 2014, 09:02:07 PM

The biggest problem with the name virtual currency , for me, is that it suggests that BTC can only be used to internet and web based stuff and business, while we all know that it can be used to physical stores and in day-to-day trades.
Virtual is not an offense since the internet boom.

I believe OP tried to say that refering to bitcoin as a digital currency will somehow magicaly make it imune to bank/gouvernment bashes.
Virtual or not, it doesnt realy matter, what matters is the point of argument will allways be bitcoin, until regulation is implemented.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
July 05, 2014, 09:18:10 PM

People need to stop caring about Bitcoin as a currency, virtual or otherwise. It is far more valuable as a protocol.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
MrBea

Activity: 242

Bitcorns

View Profile
July 05, 2014, 09:30:54 PM

I think most people dont understand the difference between digital and virtual.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&ei=FG64U5z4HsiOqgby6YDIDA&url=http://m.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DRnTQhIRcrno&cd=1&ved=0CBwQtwIwAA&usg=AFQjCNED5Ot0BG5NerrZT5X7XBzAr4vO9A&sig2=olwbfAWn1Yd6AlH410AJMw

Gathering bitcorns.
roslinpl
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1199

View Profile WWW
July 05, 2014, 09:37:20 PM
Last edit: July 05, 2014, 10:33:30 PM by roslinpl

September, 2013, Bitcoin Foundation to Federal Election Commission: "Bitcoins are often referred to as 'virtual currency.' The Bitcoin Foundation prefers the term 'digital currency.' "

https://bitcoinfoundation.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/Bitcoin-Foundation-FEC-filing-CAF-Advisory-Opinion.pdf

Virtual currency is a term defined by FinCEN; it encompasses digital currencies, tokens, pre-paid gift cards, etc I suppose...

…"virtual" currency is a medium of exchange that operates like a currency in some environments, but does not have all the attributes of real currency. In particular, virtual currency does not have legal tender status in any jurisdiction. This guidance addresses "convertible" virtual currency. This type of virtual currency either has an equivalent value in real currency, or acts as a substitute for real currency…

This seems like an answer to the problem.

Well I must tell that I was saying about the Bitcoin that it is a "virtual currency" as some people understand this term better than "digital currency" when you want to explain what Bitcoin is.

But nowadays I used to say "cryptocurrency" - is a 'digital currency' really the best choice as Foundation prefers that one or is it just a matter of what we like to say better.

I think both terms seems good.

Crypto currency
Digital currency   - in both cases name include a deep meaning of what it really is.

Maybe we should **join them together and say  Digital crypto currency Smiley

What do you think about it?

Regards.

**Edited : I wrote "split" instead of "join" Smiley
bg002h
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 05, 2014, 10:08:59 PM

This seems like an answer to the problem.

Well I must tell that I was saying about the Bitcoin that it is a "virtual currency" as some people understand this term better than "digital currency" when you want to explain what Bitcoin is.

But nowadays I used to say "cryptocurrency" - is a 'digital currency' really the best choice as Foundation prefers that one or is it just a matter of what we like to say better.

I think both terms seems good.

Crypto currency
Digital currency   - in both cases name include a deep meaning of what it really is.

Maybe we should split them together and say  Digital crypto currency Smiley

What do you think about it?

Regards.

I agree and use the terms crypto and digital similarly.

There are dozens of turn of the century crypto / non-crypto digital currencies. (If you want to learn a bitbabout the history, check out my history lectures here: https://www.udemy.com/bitcoin-or-how-i-learned-to-stop-worrying-and-love-crypto/ )

roslinpl
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1199

View Profile WWW
July 05, 2014, 10:24:17 PM

There are dozens of turn of the century crypto / non-crypto digital currencies. (If you want to learn a bitbabout the history, check out my history lectures here: https://www.udemy.com/bitcoin-or-how-i-learned-to-stop-worrying-and-love-crypto/ )

Thanks for the link.
This seems very interesting.
There is quite a lot to listen and learn for listeners -  good job.

+10 for doing those 6 sections. (I see you are just about to record SECTION 5: Bitcoin Wallets - that will be very interesting I need to ask you a question about those records - PM sent)

I will listen to some of them for sure.

Regards.
ShakyhandsBTCer

Activity: 448

It's Money 2.0| It’s gold for nerds | It's Bitcoin

View Profile
July 06, 2014, 12:12:24 AM

I think that arguing about if it is appropriate to say that Bitcoin is a "virtual currency" is a lot like arguing what the definition of "is" is.

It is considered virtual because it only "exists" on the internet (blockchain) and cannot be touched. The term currency is used loosely to mean that it can be used to purchase things. 
bg002h
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 06, 2014, 12:14:34 AM

Thanks for the link.
This seems very interesting.
There is quite a lot to listen and learn for listeners -  good job.

+10 for doing those 6 sections. (I see you are just about to record SECTION 5: Bitcoin Wallets - that will be very interesting I need to ask you a question about those records - PM sent)

I will listen to some of them for sure.

Regards.

I can only take credit for a few of the lectures. The lion's share of the work belongs to Charles Hoskinson.

Justin00
Legendary

Activity: 910

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile
July 06, 2014, 12:15:48 AM

hmmm never really thought about this.
I guess 'virtual' is more kinda in-game  perhaps... like warcraft or whatever people play these days..

were as 'digital' is more.. well.. not virtual.. and just digital and lives.. errhmm online ?  hmm kinda like the virtual in game money, but more real :p

thresher

Activity: 700

View Profile
July 06, 2014, 12:25:26 AM

Really  Roll Eyes

What is next?
"I have a dream that ltc, dogecoin, and darkcoin, can all be called crypto coins, and not alt coins."  Smiley

btcxyzzz
Legendary

Activity: 888

Monero - secure, private and untraceable currency.

View Profile WWW
July 06, 2014, 08:11:17 AM

You're right, it's not just derogatory, it's wrong too. There's absolutly nothing virtual about cryptocurrencies. E-Currency is good term, and even Internet money is ok. But I think maybe the best describing term is cryptocurrency.

Token Bubbles – Transforming the ICO Rating and Analysis Space.
EternalWingsofGod

Activity: 700

View Profile
July 06, 2014, 08:12:29 AM

Virtual is the wrong word. Cryptomoney or cryptocurrency. It is about time that cryptography comes into the limelight.

Yes, crytocurrency or digital currency is correct term
The term virtual is not very accurate compared to those two.

Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: