Bitcoin Forum
July 17, 2024, 04:29:49 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: why does google search come up with broken links?  (Read 992 times)
Xiaoxiao (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000

The Golden Rule Rules

View Profile
July 05, 2014, 09:57:02 PM

When one deletes a page on the website, why does it still show up on google search?  And if one clicks the link, it will go to a error page/blank page but it still shows up on google search. 

It's been a while now.  How is google retaining the old page?
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1528

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
July 05, 2014, 10:00:34 PM

They have a cache, they are not actually searching the whole internet every time you ask something. They have scripts (call robots IIRC) that crawl from link to link and take notes. Sometimes the site changes but the robot hasnt seen those changes yet, so google does not know about that yet.

Right of the URL there is a little triangle, klick on that to get the cached version.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
TheFootMan

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 05, 2014, 10:35:22 PM

They have a cache, they are not actually searching the whole internet every time you ask something. They have scripts (call robots IIRC) that crawl from link to link and take notes. Sometimes the site changes but the robot hasnt seen those changes yet, so google does not know about that yet.

Right of the URL there is a little triangle, klick on that to get the cached version.

I've seen that many people and companies are now asking to be removed from google in europe. I do not like this development, as it makes way for censoring. Who's to decide what's to be removed or not? If a banker makes wrong calls, should his track record be cleaned out? What about someone being deliberately smeared online, should the smearing be cleaned out? And who's to decide which rules shall apply and, who's to enforce the rules, and will the rules be enforced justly?

As for google, they do retain caches for a while, i do not know for how long, but there are also other sites, like the internet archive and maybe others (?) do store snapshots of pages from time to time, so if you see someone removed something online, you can often go there and get it.
Justin00
Legendary

Activity: 910

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile
July 06, 2014, 12:22:10 AM

yeah some sites are annoying as hell.
one of them was caching linked in.. so you delete your linked in profile... still recorded/cached on this other retard site then google caches that.

very annoying.

but yeah.. google caches stuff.. as was said by someone else...

Xiaoxiao (OP)
Legendary

The Golden Rule Rules

View Profile
July 06, 2014, 02:23:50 AM

I see. I see.  How long would it take google to fix this?  Or do they every fix it?
heartbit

Activity: 27
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 06, 2014, 03:23:26 AM

Hi -

I can help you with this - I used to be a Search Engine Optimization geek before the Bitcoin bug bit me... Smiley

Here is the process:
[LIST=1]
  • Register for Google Webmaster Tools (https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/)
  • Add your site and verify ownership (eg. upload a small file to prove it is your site) - Google guides you through this
  • Make sure the page you want to remove is set to prevent Google from re-indexing it (e.g. add to robots.txt and/or set page meta tag to ROBOTS="NOINDEX, FOLLOW, NOCACHE, NOARCHIVE, NOSNIPPET") (yes, the FOLLOW is intentional here!)
  • Use the Remove URLs feature (under Google Index) in the sidebar menu (https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/url-removal)
  • Give the full address of the page you want removed from Google, e.g. http://www.yoursite.com/fred/jane/bananas.html
  • Leave the default setting for "Remove page from search results and cache"
  • Wait about 24-48 hours and the URL should be gone from Google's index (it takes a little time to take effect, there are actually multiple copies of the index worldwide)
Hope this helps
Posted from Bitcointa.lk - #wb4a9gxyy1OT0RRO
heartbit

Activity: 27
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 06, 2014, 03:29:35 AM

Should add... if you want to improve the user experience for anyone who has perhaps bookmarked the old page, once the page is out of Google's index, put a permanent (301) redirect in place sending visitors to the old (deleted) page to a more appropriate replacement page on your site. Your web tech should be able to do this using a .htaccess file or similar.
Posted from Bitcointa.lk - #FIRA51oVIrdNnpke
Xiaoxiao (OP)
Legendary

The Golden Rule Rules

View Profile
July 06, 2014, 06:32:10 PM
Last edit: July 06, 2014, 07:38:54 PM by Xiaoxiao

No actually, what happened was someone else posted something innacurrate and then deleted it, but on the google search the page still shows up, but if you click on it it goes to 404 blank page.

My point is, when will google see that the link is broke and not show it in the search ?  It has been almost a month now.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: