Bitcoin Forum
June 14, 2024, 11:49:43 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitfinex  (Read 3564 times)
Gimmelfarb

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 06, 2014, 11:41:33 PM

yeah that interest on swaps is crazy. if i get the urge to use margin, i'll check out MT4.

The interests on swaps is around 60% annual. That is much lower than it was a year ago. What are you people even talking about?

much lower than a few weeks ago too -- so, this is the low end of that range. it goes much higher than the current 0.1655% per day...

my original point up thread was -- why pay that much interest in the first place? you can go 3:1 on BTCE and pay no interest. maybe it's just me -- i'm not a whale, but i'm not a guppy, either. and i also think most people here aren't whales either.
windjc
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1070

View Profile
July 06, 2014, 11:48:45 PM

yeah that interest on swaps is crazy. if i get the urge to use margin, i'll check out MT4.

The interests on swaps is around 60% annual. That is much lower than it was a year ago. What are you people even talking about?

much lower than a few weeks ago too -- so, this is the low end of that range. it goes much higher than the current 0.1655% per day...

my original point up thread was -- why pay that much interest in the first place? you can go 3:1 on BTCE and pay no interest. maybe it's just me -- i'm not a whale, but i'm not a guppy, either. and i also think most people here aren't whales either.

So who is covering the margin on Btc-E?  If BTC-E is covering the margin for free - THAT doesn't scare anyone?
hollowframe

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 12:06:51 AM

So who is covering the margin on Btc-E?  If BTC-E is covering the margin for free - THAT doesn't scare anyone?

hmm. well, theyve been in business for a long time now, collecting fees. rolling out PAMM now too. theyve got a long term business model.

and when they had a flash crash to $100, they didnt roll back trades. smart bidders and shorters kept their cheapp coins and btce took the hit on any liquidity not covered by the book.

bfx on the other hand, punished smart bidders, shorters by rolling back trades and locking open leveraged positionms.

so actually yeah, i prefer btce, who chooses their customers (traders) rather than bfx choosing one set of customers (lenders) over traders.
Erdogan
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1005

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 01:18:59 AM

I have even less trust in bitfinex after mtgox incident seeing as it's also a french endeavor. No racism, just a pattern I noticed - french = not reliable practices.

French is not a race, so it is not racism, but you certainly try to discredit people on the ground of nationality. I can not prove it is incorrect, only point out that the group of people that is french, consist of millions of very different individuals. With high degree of certainty, your comments are stupid.

Keyara

Activity: 174
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 05:12:50 AM

So who is covering the margin on Btc-E?  If BTC-E is covering the margin for free - THAT doesn't scare anyone?

Btc-E carry the risk for leverage position. For bitfinex, it is their customer who carry the risk while they only charges fee.
2dogs
Legendary

Activity: 1267
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 05:58:16 AM
Last edit: July 07, 2014, 06:21:08 AM by 2dogs

Found this on Bitfinex swaps:
http://www.bfxdata.com/swapstats/usd.php

Isn't it really a timing question?
With the swaps you get something, even if BTC goes up, down, or sideways?
Where as the margin trades (3:1 BTC e), you are bullish/bearish on the price - but when the strike price happens is anybody's guess.
piramida
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1010

Borsche

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 06:03:11 AM

I have even less trust in bitfinex after mtgox incident seeing as it's also a french endeavor. No racism, just a pattern I noticed - french = not reliable practices.

French is not a race, so it is not racism, but you certainly try to discredit people on the ground of nationality. I can not prove it is incorrect, only point out that the group of people that is french, consist of millions of very different individuals. With high degree of certainty, your comments are stupid.

Ok let me explain what I meant. A group of people that is french consist of millions of very different individuals, correct. yet most of them have much in common. For one, they all speak french. For another, they mostly live in France. Also, there are my favorite businesses such as hennessy and some beauty brands, so definitely they *can* run a business, but bitfinex, in particular, does have alot of other similarities with mtGox to raise flags for me. Nationality of the owners is just one of them, also that it runs as an unregistered company which basically has no responsibility, and that it did not employ any professionals in economics or accounting last I checked.

i am satoshi
arbitrage001
Legendary

Activity: 1067

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 02:31:58 PM

Where as the margin trades (3:1 BTC e), you are bullish/bearish on the price - but when the strike price happens is anybody's guess.

High interest rate on bitfinex and high premium on icbit are sign of bullish. People borrowing are expecting the rally will be higher than the interest rate.
Bitcoin_is_here_to_stay

Activity: 336
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 08:44:47 PM

High interest rate on bitfinex and high premium on icbit are sign of bullish. People borrowing are expecting the rally will be higher than the interest rate.

That part is clear Wink. What is unclear is whether they are right. And what happens if they are wrong - e.g. will lenders be paid by vague Bitfinex "insurance" when borrowers will default?
theonewhowaskazu

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 12:22:57 AM

So what about bitfinex.

Erdogan
Legendary

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 02:25:14 AM

Ok let me explain what I meant. A group of people that is french consist of millions of very different individuals, correct. yet most of them have much in common. For one, they all speak french. For another, they mostly live in France. Also, there are my favorite businesses such as hennessy and some beauty brands, so definitely they *can* run a business, but bitfinex, in particular, does have alot of other similarities with mtGox to raise flags for me. Nationality of the owners is just one of them, also that it runs as an unregistered company which basically has no responsibility, and that it did not employ any professionals in economics or accounting last I checked.

Added two new points, but kept the stupid one. Still stupid.
arbitrage001
Legendary

Activity: 1067

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 03:49:02 AM

Nationality in Europe (France) is slowly losing its meaning.

Demography will look entire different 5-10 years down the road. Immigration issue need to be re-examined if they want to fix the problem.

This is suppose to be a bitfinex thread and not "french" discussion.
piramida
Legendary

Borsche

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 06:03:58 AM

Ok whatever. I hope you move your money on to the next nigerian exchange that opens up, good luck Smiley

i am satoshi
Erdogan
Legendary

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 05:30:23 PM

Ok whatever. I hope you move your money on to the next nigerian exchange that opens up, good luck Smiley

Are nigerians bad too?
piramida
Legendary

Borsche

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 05:37:21 PM

Are nigerians bad too?

No, they are great, and all their business ventures are completely trustworthy.

i am satoshi
fonzie

Activity: 504

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 05:42:11 PM

Award for one of the most embarassing threads this year, good work piramida & arbitrage001.

"Damn (black) frog eaters!, do nut trust them , they are evil , all of them!"

Roll Eyes

"To know death, Otto, you have to fuck life in the gallbladder"
www.hsbc.com  - The world´s local bank
"These FUDsters are insane egomaniacs that just want cheap BTC" - oblivi
Marbit

Activity: 686

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 05:51:26 PM

Sure, and they might be right. Or they might be very wrong. My memory is a bit fuzzy, but I remember a massive short squeeze last November when Bitfinex traders were very wrong about the market. Can't happen in the other direction? Tongue
TheJuice

Activity: 841
Merit: 608

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 07:29:40 PM

Sure, and they might be right. Or they might be very wrong. My memory is a bit fuzzy, but I remember a massive short squeeze last November when Bitfinex traders were very wrong about the market. Can't happen in the other direction? Tongue

Thats my market moto: Go against the crowd.
2dogs
Legendary

Activity: 1267

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 07:48:13 PM

Oh noes!  That means be a bear!   Shocked
scarsbergholden

Activity: 686

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 08:03:28 PM

Oh noes!  That means be a bear!   Shocked

But on this forum, people are always predominantly bullish. If you go to Tradingview right now, most people seem bearish. Take your pick. Cheesy

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: