Bitcoin Forum
May 17, 2024, 01:57:15 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [2014-07-04]cryptocoinsnews - How Bitcoin Merchants are Pushing the Price Down  (Read 1051 times)
fryarminer (OP)

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 06, 2014, 09:49:23 AM

http://www.cryptocoinsnews.com/news/bitcoin-merchants-pushing-price/2014/07/04

Every time a new business accepts Bitcoin, the community cheers. But they should be sober. Because all those Bitcoins are converted straight into dollars, driving the Bitcoin value down.

I think that we are waiting for the next phase. This is a necessary phase where people are adopting receiving bitcoin but have no use for it and so convert it straight to dollars. But the phase will come, once bitcoin is more widely accepted, where the bitcoin received will be kept and used as bitcoin - and this is when we will see the value of bitcoin go up.
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
July 06, 2014, 02:48:48 PM

Every time a new business accepts Bitcoin, the community cheers. But they should be sober. Because all those Bitcoins are converted straight into dollars, driving the Bitcoin value down.
People need to do their homework a bit more thoroughly.
cr1776
Legendary

Activity: 4032
Merit: 1301

View Profile
July 06, 2014, 03:01:36 PM

So, usage drives the value down as compared to no one using it?   Seems like the "price model" referenced in the article needs to be improved.

Obviously using bitcoin and not immediately selling them for fiat is better for bitcoin's price in fiat than immediately selling.  However, as compared to no one using it in the first place vs not which is really what the comparison here is, it is not. 
fryarminer (OP)

View Profile
July 06, 2014, 04:22:52 PM

What do you mean? (Sincere question)
Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
July 06, 2014, 06:05:21 PM

http://www.cryptocoinsnews.com/news/bitcoin-merchants-pushing-price/2014/07/04

I think that we are waiting for the next phase. This is a necessary phase where people are adopting receiving bitcoin but have no use for it and so convert it straight to dollars. But the phase will come, once bitcoin is more widely accepted, where the bitcoin received will be kept and used as bitcoin - and this is when we will see the value of bitcoin go up.

I have said this all along, we now need B2B business payments to scale up.  Suppliers in China being paid with BTC.

cr1776
Legendary

Activity: 4032
Merit: 1301

View Profile
July 06, 2014, 06:12:54 PM

I think he was saying that the premise and the model it was based on - that usage, even converting bitcoin immediately into fiat, drives the price down - was in error.

hacknoid

Activity: 418
Merit: 252

Proud Canuck

View Profile WWW
July 06, 2014, 06:29:29 PM

There may be some validity in saying that it is keeping the price from going up as it is providing a source of coins to sell that offsets new purchases.  As stated above, this would only be a temporary step on the road to wide scale adoption, and actually good news - since the price has still managed to go up over the past few months, interspersed with time of relative price stability, it means demand would otherwise be causing the price to continue upwards.   So basically demand is meeting usage, which is significantly up from say a year ago.  All positive signs moving forward!  So yes - we should be cheering on adoption!

BitcoinRunner : Side scroller game powered entirely by Bitcoin! 
Game (alpha): http://hacknoid.ca/bitcoinrunner
Discussion: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=907618.0
GenTarkin
Legendary

Activity: 2450
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 06, 2014, 07:14:43 PM

You know, I think about this often. While it may be partially true, its not entirely true. I know that if I were to spend some BTC on stuff, I would turn right around and buy that BTC back from fiat.
So, it goes both ways for people, not just 1 way. There are people out there that will keep wanting to use BTC to buy stuff(therefore re buying it as they pay with it)

GenTarkin's MOD Kncminer Titan custom firmware! v1.0.4! -- !!NO LONGER AVAILABLE!!
Donations: bitcoin- 1Px71mWNQNKW19xuARqrmnbcem1dXqJ3At || litecoin- LYXrLis3ik6TRn8tdvzAyJ264DRvwYVeEw
PolarPoint

Activity: 672

View Profile
July 06, 2014, 07:43:15 PM

The writer assumes no one buys bitcoin to pay for their purchases, only those who already owns bitcoin. This is a reasonable assumption. But writer must not forget people will buy the bitcoins back, and those who do not own bitcoin will buy bitcoin now, wait for bitcoin to appreciate and purchase in the future.
Seldar

Activity: 333
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 06, 2014, 07:49:10 PM

Yes because except miners who create money, how do customers get their bitcoin? In a potgold?
I want to pay a merchant so I need money : I buy them at an exchange, so BTC price is going up, merchant sell is BTC, price is going down...
In the worst case, nothing changes.

Sorry for my bad english Smiley
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
July 06, 2014, 07:57:36 PM

I think he was saying that the premise and the model it was based on - that usage, even converting bitcoin immediately into fiat, drives the price down - was in error.
The error is the assumption that every dollar that a merchant receives comes from the exchanges.

There are investors who get their bitcoins indirectly by underwriting payment processors fiat, so in some cases the merchant receiving dollars represents an off-market purchase of Bitcoins by an underwriter.

Maybe you could say this is "driving the price down" because if this route was not available, then the investors would have to purchase on the open market and thus move the exchange rate up, but that's a harder claim to prove.
fryarminer (OP)

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 02:05:33 AM

The error is the assumption that every dollar that a merchant receives comes from the exchanges.

There are investors who get their bitcoins indirectly by underwriting payment processors fiat, so in some cases the merchant receiving dollars represents an off-market purchase of Bitcoins by an underwriter.

Maybe you could say this is "driving the price down" because if this route was not available, then the investors would have to purchase on the open market and thus move the exchange rate up, but that's a harder claim to prove.

Thanks for the clarification. I did not know about the investors.

CryptInvest
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1132

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 06:56:27 AM

The next stage is when people and companies will pay directly Bitcoins. Now, any news that a large and important company ischvestnaya nachiaet accept payments in Bitcoin exchange rate pushes up
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: