Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 12:53:56 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What will you do when the gold rush ends?  (Read 2159 times)
Miner612 (OP)

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

FPGA convert

View Profile
March 08, 2012, 07:48:44 PM

And blocks become 25 coins per, instead of 50.

What do you think will happen?  Will you stop mining?  Do you think the value will go up?  I am curious what you guys think.

Discuss.

I buy and sell GPUs, most 5850s and 7970s. 
jimzolorenzo@gmail.com  -- Make an offer.
http://myworld.ebay.com/i_buy_5850s  -- current inventory
I have a couple bare bone mining rigs for sale as well.

--------------

I bought silver from [ccliu] 5 star transaction!
I bought silver from [TECSHARE] -- shipping still
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
late443

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 08, 2012, 08:10:21 PM

just a guess here but when you limit supply demand goes up so in theory once the count
goes down to 25 price should increase possibly up to 2x the current amount.
then again the market can be a strange thing.
Miner612 (OP)

FPGA convert

View Profile
March 08, 2012, 08:19:52 PM

I hope you are right.  I have a feeling something along those lines will happen as well... but i what do i know lol

--------------

notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 08, 2012, 08:23:59 PM

just a guess here but when you limit supply demand goes up so in theory once the count
goes down to 25 price should increase possibly up to 2x the current amount.
then again the market can be a strange thing.

Except it is well known, so the market will price it in well before it actually happens.  You won't see a "halving day" gap up.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
Miner612 (OP)

FPGA convert

View Profile
March 08, 2012, 08:35:15 PM

I do think a shit ton of miners will stop mining and sell all their stuff on eBay.

--------------

koin
Legendary

Activity: 873
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 08, 2012, 09:44:53 PM

I do think a shit ton of miners will stop mining and sell all their stuff on eBay.

it all depends on the price and when.  if we end up with a $10 exchange rate, that would support the exact same amount of mining at 25 btc as we have today trading at $5 with 50 btc  -- all assuming the difficulty remains at this level. 

the wildcard is fpgas.  they could make the difficulty rate go up without the price going up.
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
March 08, 2012, 09:47:04 PM

The law of supply and demand.

When the amount of coins halves the price will _____.

Fill in the blank.

koin
Legendary

View Profile
March 09, 2012, 08:52:32 PM

The law of supply and demand.

When the amount of coins halves the price will _____.

the upcoming drop in the daily mining production is already something well known and speculators are probably pricing that in already.

what isn't known is how many more people will be using bitcoin for payments a year from now.  that will have a much much bigger impact on the demand for bitcoins at some point than the what the amount produced by mining has.
btctrader22

Activity: 45

View Profile
March 10, 2012, 12:00:17 AM

But the price ?
Jaryu

Activity: 90

View Profile
March 10, 2012, 12:39:31 AM

But the price ?

at first it will be over priced like ebay usually is, then after a few months of holding stuff they don't want to anymore they will start selling it for more reasonable prices.
btctrader22

Activity: 45

View Profile
March 10, 2012, 12:43:18 AM

But the price ?

at first it will be over priced like ebay usually is, then after a few months of holding stuff they don't want to anymore they will start selling it for more reasonable prices.

no i mean the price of bitcoin
kliffen

Activity: 119

View Profile
March 10, 2012, 03:11:52 AM

If my economy classes taught me well, you're likely to see a rapid increase in BTC prices just before the block payout decrease. When supply goes down, demand will increase. Both speculators and hoarders are likely to buy large quantities
wyager

Activity: 98

View Profile
March 10, 2012, 03:57:27 AM

It's a little more complex than that.

First off, there will not suddenly be half as many Bitcoins available. There will simply be fewer bitcoins being made. If demand for Bitcoins continues to increase at the same rate as it does now (that is, the Bitcoin market keeps growing), but production is slowing down, then we will see an increase in the value of Bitcoins.

This is called deflation; the total value of trade with Bitcoins increases faster than the number of Bitcoins, and the value of a Bitcoin goes up.

So, assuming Bitcoin continues to grow, that 25BTC will eventually be worth more Dollars/Euros/Labor than it is now, which will increase the incentive to keep mining.

If I'm thinking straight, the value of a bitcoin is basically based off of this equation:

Value=Trade Value/Units of Currency (or, using variables I just made up, V=T/U)

So, if U increases slowly (low ∆U, e.g. the BTC created per block is only 25 instead of 50) and T increases quickly (high ∆T), then V will go up. The thing is, both T and U are already rather large, so any changes in ∆T or ∆U will take a while to have a significant effect on V.

This is made much more complex by speculation and other factors, but this is the basic idea.

OTC-WoT: 1BWF66DuVqBCSFksUgkLtdYmHucpBgPmVm
drsteve

Activity: 6

View Profile
March 10, 2012, 11:01:34 PM

The market should have already priced in all future increases in difficulty and decreases in rewards.
frograven

Activity: 35

View Profile
March 10, 2012, 11:50:31 PM

I'm very curious to see what will happen when it goes to 25BTC per block.. be interesting to see if the FPGA miners become more or less viable.

Are there any web pages / graphs / etc that offer a "countdown" to this moment?
kelsey
Legendary

Activity: 1876

View Profile
March 10, 2012, 11:54:45 PM

bitcoin survives by people using it, when the rewards are halved for mining, many miners will lose interest.

instead of thinking of hoarding and profiteering start more using and promoting, and finding ways to decrease the barriers to entry.
Voxfaith

Activity: 7

View Profile
March 11, 2012, 10:38:25 AM

As the current economy - the coins which already do exist - aren't affected, people will get their demand satisfied by all the suppliers which already have coins at first.
If the Bitcoin user-base increases suppliers will most likely adapt to the increased demand thus the value will slowly raise.
But as it is with my guess a rather slow process, with no change at first, many miners will be put off for having their profits essentially halved. Which then in turn makes it more profitable for remaining miners again - as difficulty drops.
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 11, 2012, 06:23:50 PM

Note that the equation of exchange is an over simplified mathematical model of the real world.

+1

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
JennyHill

Activity: 28

View Profile
March 11, 2012, 06:35:02 PM

The gold rush won’t end when the reward halves because mining was never intended to be a gold rush in the first place. It’s simply an incentive system to secure the network, not a get rich quick scheme.
koin
Legendary

View Profile
March 11, 2012, 06:49:27 PM

mining was never intended to be a gold rush in the first place.

you weren't around last april or may, were you?  new rigs were paying for themselves in like six to eight weeks, including the electricity costs: http://blockchain.info/charts/miners-operating-profit-margin
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: