Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 03:56:23 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Using excess cycles on Linux webservers to mine  (Read 2979 times)
gadsdengraphics (OP)

Activity: 88
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 09, 2012, 12:44:52 AM

I do a lot of internet marketing, and am a bit of a webmaster on the side. As a result, I have a couple of dozen Amazon t1.micro instances with very low CPU utilization that other people are paying me to keep running.

Since I'm already paying for the servers and CPU utilization is not metered, I'm looking for a linux cpuminer that I can use to more fully utilize the processing power at my disposal. It is important that this not overtax the CPU to the detriment of the webserver, though - are there any tools out there that will help me constrain resource utilization to under, say, 80% total across all processes?

I looked through the stickies, and it doesn't look like it will be an issue setting up the miners, I just need to be pointed in the right direction to learn how to keep it out of the way of the actual "work" being done on the systems.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
koin
Legendary

Activity: 873
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 09, 2012, 02:34:12 AM

I'm looking for a linux cpuminer

um .... ya.  you're a little late to the party.  cpu mining for bitcoins went out of vogue in 2010.
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 09, 2012, 02:43:48 AM

I do a lot of internet marketing, and am a bit of a webmaster on the side. As a result, I have a couple of dozen Amazon t1.micro instances with very low CPU utilization that other people are paying me to keep running.

Since I'm already paying for the servers and CPU utilization is not metered, I'm looking for a linux cpuminer that I can use to more fully utilize the processing power at my disposal. It is important that this not overtax the CPU to the detriment of the webserver, though - are there any tools out there that will help me constrain resource utilization to under, say, 80% total across all processes?

I looked through the stickies, and it doesn't look like it will be an issue setting up the miners, I just need to be pointed in the right direction to learn how to keep it out of the way of the actual "work" being done on the systems.

man nice

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
ThiagoCMC
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1000

฿itcoin: Currency of Resistance!

View Profile
March 09, 2012, 03:18:33 AM

Mine for Litecoin on those instances... And buy Bitcoins if you wish...

Join Litecoin P2Pool!
Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
March 09, 2012, 03:41:28 AM

I doubt you will get enough bitcoins out of it to justify it with cpu mining.  Spend that time doing more of what you do best and you will make more money.  Buy BTC with that money instead.

gadsdengraphics (OP)

View Profile
March 09, 2012, 03:43:06 AM

I'm looking for a linux cpuminer

um .... ya.  you're a little late to the party.  cpu mining for bitcoins went out of vogue in 2010.

I don't expect to make significant BTC doing it, I understand that you need at least a good GPU to mine anything significant - It's just that I have all of these instances, with no accompanying power bills to pay, sitting idle.
gadsdengraphics (OP)

View Profile
March 09, 2012, 03:45:16 AM

I doubt you will get enough bitcoins out of it to justify it with cpu mining.  Spend that time doing more of what you do best and you will make more money.  Buy BTC with that money instead.

Guys... look. I understand I'm not going to make significant money with this. If I make .05 BTC / week, I'd be suprised.

It is bothering me that I'm paying for CPU time and not using it, when I could be using it to (trivially) be more involved in supporting Bitcoin. If I don't do it, it's going to bother the hell out of me.
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
March 09, 2012, 03:51:34 AM

Guys... look. I understand I'm not going to make significant money with this. If I make .05 BTC / week, I'd be suprised.

It is bothering me that I'm paying for CPU time and not using it, when I could be using it to (trivially) be more involved in supporting Bitcoin. If I don't do it, it's going to bother the hell out of me.

You've already been recommended to mine something -other- than Bitcoins and sell them to idiots who think they are valuable.

Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386

View Profile WWW
March 09, 2012, 03:55:48 AM

You realize that is 25 cents a week?  If it causes ANY problems at all with your paid customers you blew it. 

notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 09, 2012, 04:18:52 AM

You realize that is 25 cents a week?  If it causes ANY problems at all with your paid customers you blew it. 

+100

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
gadsdengraphics (OP)

View Profile
March 09, 2012, 04:51:13 AM

+100

This is the best point in the thread.

I'm still playing with it, though, at least on my own VMs Smiley So far, I can keep bitcoind from overwhelming my CPU when downloading the blockchain by setting the process to a niceness of +19 - once that's done I'll see about keeping p2pool within acceptable limits.
eleuthria
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1007

View Profile
March 09, 2012, 06:15:34 AM

RIP BTC Guild, April 2011 - June 2015
Snapman

Activity: 291
Merit: 250

BTCRadio Owner

View Profile WWW
March 09, 2012, 06:22:06 AM

I could see that being played out on one of those TRUTH commercials.

BTCRadio: 17cafKShokyQCbaNuzaDo5HLoSnffMNPAs
marked

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 09, 2012, 05:27:34 PM
Last edit: March 10, 2012, 10:48:41 PM by marked

if the micro runs at the same speed as the free trial instance then if you mine Litecoin you'll get about 0.05 LTC a day per instance, which at current market conversion of 0.001BTC is 0.0005 BTC. So 0.006 a day total for 12 machines?

It's cheaper just to get on dailybitcoins.org, and you may get some of their higher prizes. There is another similar one as well, but I can't remember what it is called. EDIT coinabul? coinad.com

For that matter just get on coinworker.com and do a few tasks.

marked
silverbox
Legendary

Activity: 966

View Profile
March 13, 2012, 11:59:30 PM

LOL
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: