Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 11:27:40 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Am I crazy to verify identity with cryptsy? Social Security #? Driver's license?  (Read 4441 times)
DrBitcoin (OP)

Activity: 350
Merit: 294

View Profile
July 06, 2014, 06:08:27 PM

I had no problem for some reason verifying my identity with Coinbase a while ago.  I actually do trust Cryptsy more than most exchanges.  But for the third time, I have sat down to verify my identity, and got to the social security number section and JUST COULDN'T DO IT!

I really want to buy some Litecoin with USD if it goes lower (like in the $6 or $5s), but can't bring myself to give Cryptsy such personal information.

Can someone please convince me that I am being overly cautious so that I can just pull the trigger on this already? Thanks.

(Also...lets say I am that worried, and don't do it...is it that much different from buying $100 worth of BTC on Coinbase, transferring it to Cryptsy, then buying the Litecoin on Cryptsy.  Do I loose that much value through fees and exchange rates?)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
cooldgamer
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1003

We are the champions of the night

View Profile WWW
July 06, 2014, 06:32:03 PM

I wouldn't do it.  Your SSN is supposed to be something you almost never give out, and the other party should be 100% trusted.  Coinbase is the exception to the rule IMO as they are one of the most trusted names in BTC.  Cryptsy is a good exchange, but they're not bulletproof enough for me to trust them with something like that.  

jeffthebaker
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1034

View Profile
July 06, 2014, 07:38:50 PM

It would be a lot safer imo to find a different exchange that doesn't require so much info. I'm sure there are plenty out there, even if you have to trade to btc first, the small fee you will get from doing that is worth not having to take the risk of getting completely screwed over.
snarlpill

Activity: 910
Merit: 530

$5 24k Gold FREE 4 sign-up! Mene.com/invite/h5ZRRP

View Profile WWW
July 07, 2014, 06:50:30 AM

I personally feel like Cryptsy could probably be trusted with my SSN, and other info., but I haven't done that yet. I haven't had the need to, and honestly I will probably just use other means of buying and selling BTC and alts. Sooo many companies, gov't.s, and other entities spy on, mine, and control enough of our data as it is nowadays, that if I don't Have to give some person or company All of that info., I'd rather not. Plus, I would imagine it also has the added benefit of streamlining your buys/sells for t.ax purposes....  Roll Eyes    And I value anonymity and privacy.

Sign me right up. Wink

BitJohn

Activity: 826
Merit: 1001

@Bit_John

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 09:39:40 PM

Everything we ask for is required by law. We do not share or sell your personal information with 3rd parties. If your get really concerned can always drive to the office and pop in to check us out Smiley
btcton
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1007

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 10:45:35 PM

I trust Cryptsy enough to let them hold my alts and such. However, I would in no way trust them enough to give them my SSN. Even if they don't mean to do anything bad with it, hackers may. Trust others not only by their willingness, but also by their ability to remain secure.

The signature campaign posters adding useless redundant fluff to their posts to reach their minimum word count are lowering my IQ.
BitJohn

@Bit_John

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 11:13:53 PM

I trust Cryptsy enough to let them hold my alts and such. However, I would in no way trust them enough to give them my SSN. Even if they don't mean to do anything bad with it, hackers may. Trust others not only by their willingness, but also by their ability to remain secure.

We do not ask for anyone's SSN#
ruggedman_dan
Legendary

Activity: 1012
Merit: 1000

We on P. Sherman 42 Wallaby Way, Sydney

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 11:42:41 PM

So is ssn required or not for usd deposit?

Clear this up for me.
BitJohn

@Bit_John

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 11:54:52 PM

Clear this up for me.
This is the entire process listed below..... So no you do not submit your SSN#

joshraban76

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 12, 2014, 04:48:37 AM

Clear this up for me.
This is the entire process listed below..... So no you do not submit your SSN#

Respectfully I disagree. Once you select the US it then shows an area for the state. Once you select a state it then shows the area for the SS#

\   \  \ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\◥◣◢◤//////////////// /  /   /
Win88.me ❖ Fair, Trusted Online BTC Gambling ❖
/   /  / ////////////////◢◤◥◣\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \  \   \
haploid23
Legendary

Activity: 812
Merit: 1002

View Profile WWW
July 12, 2014, 05:14:49 AM

Hmm interesting, I didn't know BitJohn was a rep from crypsy this whole time. We also need someone from btc-e, bitstamp, LBC, coinbase, or other major exchanges to actually be active on the forum.

harles9

Activity: 68
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 12, 2014, 08:24:25 AM

I would say yes, you certainly are crazy.  I would never give my personal information (like that) to a non-governmental agency.
BitJohn

@Bit_John

View Profile
July 12, 2014, 05:16:50 PM

Compliance is not my department and I'm definitely getting a schooling on the law Smiley

USA PATRIOT Act Section 326
Customer Identification Program (CIP)

Essentially this requires us collecting US citizen Tax ID # (SSN or  for verification of identity with the other documents.

So its the law of the land unfortunately.
Soros Shorts
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1617
Merit: 1011

View Profile
July 13, 2014, 11:06:51 AM

Everything we ask for is required by law. We do not share or sell your personal information with 3rd parties. If your get really concerned can always drive to the office and pop in to check us out Smiley
Do you have a SAS70 or SSAE16 report that you can make available?
nwfella
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1000

Well hello there!

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 02:12:48 AM

Thought I would chime in here.  I've been using cryptsy for sometime for my alt-coin trading activity as limited as they may be.  For the most part I've found the exchange to be fairly reliable particularly the last 3 months onward I too have been hesitant to provide my personal details to them for account verification.  I too have little doubt as to the their integrity but as mentioned in an earlier post nobody is bulletproof and should their system(s) get compromised by some unscrupulous hacker there's no telling how much damage her or she could do with this kind of information.

*Also a little disconcerting to me that BitJohn wasn't even aware that they do in fact require SSN for account verification (at least for US citizens).  That really doesn't bode well with me at all.

¯¯̿̿¯̿̿'̿̿̿̿̿̿̿'̿̿'̿̿̿̿̿'̿̿̿)͇̿̿)̿̿̿̿ '̿̿̿̿̿̿\̵͇̿̿\=(•̪̀●́)=o/̵͇̿̿/'̿̿ ̿ ̿̿

Gimme the crypto!!
BitJohn

@Bit_John

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 11:57:24 AM

Thought I would chime in here.  I've been using cryptsy for sometime for my alt-coin trading activity as limited as they may be.  For the most part I've found the exchange to be fairly reliable particularly the last 3 months onward I too have been hesitant to provide my personal details to them for account verification.  I too have little doubt as to the their integrity but as mentioned in an earlier post nobody is bulletproof and should their system(s) get compromised by some unscrupulous hacker there's no telling how much damage her or she could do with this kind of information.

*Also a little disconcerting to me that BitJohn wasn't even aware that they do in fact require SSN for account verification (at least for US citizens).  That really doesn't bode well with me at all.

Do not let that worry you I am the PR manager. We have a Compliance department there are over 40 employees at Cryptsy now with several departments. As I said I got schooled by the compliance lead on the why and what the SSN requirement is. I have requested that they provide me with as much info as to precautions taken with this info. Its possible the security guys wont let me put it out but if I can I owe you answers if I can.
DrBitcoin (OP)

Activity: 350
Merit: 294

View Profile
August 08, 2014, 02:08:27 PM

Compliance is not my department and I'm definitely getting a schooling on the law Smiley

USA PATRIOT Act Section 326
Customer Identification Program (CIP)

Essentially this requires us collecting US citizen Tax ID # (SSN or  for verification of identity with the other documents.

So its the law of the land unfortunately.

Seriously.  I remembered this post, and you saying "you don't need to enter your SSN."  So I decided to go back and finally get verified as I am a Cryptsy user for a few months now.  Low and behold...I start the verification process...and there it is..."Full SSN"

So...I was RIGHT.  How can I trust your website with my Social Security, drivers license? I mean...you aren't exactly Amazon.com, and I give Amazon WAY less information than this.  I don't even remember Coinbase asking for my social security, although I could be wrong.

So...once again...I went to verify my account...and once again I chickened out.  I just can't give crypts that type of personal information.  Drivers license, everything else would be fine...but not Social Security. Oh well.
BitcoinNational
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1010

Join The Blockchain Revolution In Logistics

View Profile
August 08, 2014, 03:09:19 PM

Can Cryptsy please provide the BCT community with Driver's licenses and Proof of Residence of all employees that will or might be able to see customer information?

Can Cryptsy give insurance, say 10 BTC bond, that said information is 'secure'.

There are many reputable BCT community members that could hold this 'security pledge'.

Then there is the issue of any persons with access to cold storage.  They need to be clearly identified publicly on the website.

Thank you.

▄██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
           ▄████▄▄▄▄▄██████████████▄
         ▄████████████████▄▄▄███████
       ▄█████████████████████████████
     ▄████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███████████████▄
   ▄████████▀█▀███▀        ███████████
 ▄████████▀███             ███████████
▄███████▀████                ██████████▄
███████████▀                  ██████████
 ██████▄████                   ██████▄███
  ██████▄████                 ▄█████████