Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 03:54:29 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Spain confiscates 0.03% of all bank deposits.  (Read 5464 times)
ThomasCrowne

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

★☆★ 777Coin - The Exciting Bitco

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 06:28:46 AM

they're so knee-deep in shit that there's not really much else they can do.

It's really time that people see the benefit of Bitcoin.

it's not like bitcoin is the only other alternative option though.
Nope...those damn Spaniards are famous for loving/hoarding their gold.  Only the uber-wealthy Spaniards will take a serious look at bitcoin as a store of value given the volatility over the past 8 months.  Once things settle down for awhile or the next big surge comes then watch out whatever government is in charge of the next collapsing economy.  Domino effect has begun fellas.  So much for the Debt-based Fiat systems lasting forever huh?

Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
cr1776
Legendary

Activity: 4032
Merit: 1299

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 11:35:40 AM

It is not right to penalise those who worked hard and save up for retirement, over those who spend every penny they earn.

Funny thing is, I've spoken with people who regard savers as selfish pricks that are hoarding money instead of spending it and helping to keep others employed.  The person commenting is usually young, without any savings, and with huge debts for rapidly value depreciating products.

Exactly. And you see it here often too - all the talk about "hoarders" and "redistributing their bitcoins" if they aren't used it X time.  It is always easier to try to get someone else to pay more to support you than to do so yourself.
counter

Activity: 798
Merit: 500

Time is on our side, yes it is!

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 10:37:33 PM

A step in the wrong direction and is bullish for bitcoin.  These types of fees have a way of going up incrementally over time.  Thanks alot for bringing this to our attention I plan to follow this story as things progress.
DannyElfman

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 10:52:07 PM

It is not right to penalise those who worked hard and save up for retirement, over those who spend every penny they earn.

Funny thing is, I've spoken with people who regard savers as selfish pricks that are hoarding money instead of spending it and helping to keep others employed.  The person commenting is usually young, without any savings, and with huge debts for rapidly value depreciating products.
These people are generally very liberal and will come to expect that everything will be paid for by the government and the successful.

This spot for rent.
tee-rex

Activity: 742
Merit: 526

View Profile
July 11, 2014, 07:43:20 AM
Last edit: July 22, 2014, 01:01:08 PM by tee-rex

Funny thing is, I've spoken with people who regard savers as selfish pricks that are hoarding money instead of spending it and helping to keep others employed.  The person commenting is usually young, without any savings, and with huge debts for rapidly value depreciating products.
These people are generally very liberal and will come to expect that everything will be paid for by the government and the successful.

And often living off their parents' income ("the person commenting is usually young"). Wink
onezerobit

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
July 11, 2014, 07:53:35 PM

Moves like these is why people trust the decentralized virtual currency, and this move begs for spanish people to unify for bitcoins Smiley

www.1zerobit.com - Don't just sit there, go trade
CryptInvest
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1132

View Profile
July 11, 2014, 08:36:04 PM

This decision once again confirms the reliability of Bitcoin as a long term investment
Harley997

Activity: 266

View Profile
July 12, 2014, 12:09:16 AM

A step in the wrong direction and is bullish for bitcoin.  These types of fees have a way of going up incrementally over time.  Thanks alot for bringing this to our attention I plan to follow this story as things progress.
I don't think that they took a large enough percentage of bank deposits for this to be bullish for bitcoin. I am sure that people will not like this however It would amount to losing around a years worth of interest and would likely not get a lot of people to stop using the banking system.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PRIMEDICE
The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience @PrimeDice
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Skele

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

VocalPlatform.com

View Profile
July 13, 2014, 10:17:07 PM

This new supports Bitcoin, buy more now before is too late, it is a great long-term profitable investment.

Soon or later everyone will get infected by the only virus which brings more benefits than bad things: Bitcoins
freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
July 13, 2014, 10:22:14 PM
Last edit: July 13, 2014, 11:35:59 PM by freedomno1

Start small have a tiny precedent no one will complain about
But a precedent nonetheless to set and to pave the way for making a larger confiscation in the future.
Not a good sign at all here.

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
Ron~Popeil

Activity: 406

View Profile
July 13, 2014, 11:07:27 PM

But a precedent nonetheless to set the pave the way for making a larger confiscation in the future.

That was my thought as well. Get people used to the idea by taking a small amount then take larger and larger amounts over time. Sort of like a progressive income tax but using time to dilate the process instead of progressively larger amounts from smaller and smaller groups of people.

InwardContour

Activity: 644
Merit: 260

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 01:40:08 AM

But a precedent nonetheless to set the pave the way for making a larger confiscation in the future.

That was my thought as well. Get people used to the idea by taking a small amount then take larger and larger amounts over time. Sort of like a progressive income tax but using time to dilate the process instead of progressively larger amounts from smaller and smaller groups of people.
But the amount taken was very small, less the what Spaniards likely earned in interest in their bank accounts in one year so the net effect was essentially zero.

The EU banks are still very questionable in reference to their health and may or may not be able to payout deposits as needed.
hollowframe

Activity: 266

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 05:55:43 AM

Hopefully a larger percentage of bank deposits will not need to be confiscated. If it does then I would say that people would move their money out of spanish bank deposits and into bitcoin, like what happened in cypris.
freedomno1
Legendary

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 07:54:31 AM

But the amount taken was very small, less the what Spaniards likely earned in interest in their bank accounts in one year so the net effect was essentially zero.

The EU banks are still very questionable in reference to their health and may or may not be able to payout deposits as needed.

Well you know what they say start small and work your way up Smiley
But basically it's the government saying we can't manage our books so we are introducing this fee to allow us to keep spending without needing to worry about fiscal austerity, do not worry its only going to be a small tiny fraction of a percent. (But it could become more if we need it)
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/07/04/spain-tax-deposits-idUSL6N0PF2SF20140704

The country has one of the lowest tax takes in the European Union after a burst property bubble crippled the construction sector, one of the largest contributors to government coffers.

Madrid passed in June a blueprint for tax reform which aims to cut income and corporate taxes to stimulate consumer demand and investment in the midst of a nascent economic recovery.

Kind of backwards in a sense but who knows that might work lower taxes in the hunt for that Laffer Curve that probably was set at a higher tax bracket but this looks more politically appealing Smiley.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laffer_curve

theonewhowaskazu

Activity: 448

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 12:02:59 AM

If I was a politician who wanted to steal this small of a portion of people's bank deposits, I would just implement a special tax on interest that equates to the same thing, justifying it because "the depositors aren't working or doing anything to earn that income anyway." Maybe toss in some leech imagery if the tax is at all unpopular. Or even better, just print 0.03% more money and thereby tax even people holding cash, without anybody noticing at all.

Doing it this way just seems like a terrible political decision.

Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 12:22:37 AM

Despite the small %, shouldn't this cause a panic of people taking all their money out of Spain's banks?

freedomno1
Legendary

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 12:39:33 AM

Despite the small %, shouldn't this cause a panic of people taking all their money out of Spain's banks?

Perhaps if the citizens think this is just a test and will become something larger later on.
Kind of hard to say for certain what will happen though

micaman

Activity: 345

View Profile WWW
July 15, 2014, 12:53:32 AM

It's just like theft, but they call it politics.
Now try to picture it with bitcoin... nah
CoinsCoinsEverywhere

Activity: 532

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 01:21:39 AM

They may not be able to just skim a little off the top with bitcoin, but they could kill it.  If a large government or other organization wants to destroy bitcoin, there are a number of things they could do that would at least damage it.

As for Spain's "confiscation," it sounds like an experiment to me--see what kind of reaction it draws from its citizens and the financial markets to gauge the feasibility of doing it again, probably with a higher percentage.  I mean really--how much good would 0.03% do for their economy anyway?  It's just a drop in the bucket.  That's not going to help anything.
micaman

Activity: 345

View Profile WWW
July 15, 2014, 01:34:20 AM

They may not be able to just skim a little off the top with bitcoin, but they could kill it.  If a large government or other organization wants to destroy bitcoin, there are a number of things they could do that would at least damage it.

As for Spain's "confiscation," it sounds like an experiment to me--see what kind of reaction it draws from its citizens and the financial markets to gauge the feasibility of doing it again, probably with a higher percentage.  I mean really--how much good would 0.03% do for their economy anyway?  It's just a drop in the bucket.  That's not going to help anything.
They would definitely kill it. Or at least lose a lot of its value. But i guess there would be so many different coins that they can't "regulate" them all.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: