Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 03:08:44 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Watch out for changing quotes in PMs  (Read 1313 times)
theymos (OP)
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5194
Merit: 12976

View Profile
March 09, 2012, 04:39:39 PM

I think someone just tried to scam me like this:

My PM to them:
15GM6k3HPvPJJKRUfqbveNxYfcKQwsnNmQ

Thanks!

Their response:
1HE3ycmEX6v4YreaqxXjosjTqZNz6o6dZu

Thanks!

Sent to

Smiley

Notice that the address they said I sent to is different than the real address. If I wasn't saving all of my sent PMs and they deleted the message I sent to them, my PM with the real address wouldn't exist in the database and I wouldn't be able to prove that they changed the address.

It's a good idea to save all of your sent PMs. There's an option in your profile to do this by default.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
March 09, 2012, 04:41:22 PM

My PM to them:

Thanks!

Their response:

Thanks!

Sent to

Smiley

Notice that the address they said I sent to is different than the real address. If I wasn't saving all of my sent PMs and they deleted the message I sent to them, my PM with the real address wouldn't exist in the database and I wouldn't be able to prove that they changed the address.

It's a good idea to save all of your sent PMs. There's an option in your profile to do this by default.
Theymos, would it be possible to have a "deleted" folder in the PMs so that I could keep my inbox clean but still have a record of what's going on?

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
theymos (OP)
Administrator
Legendary

View Profile
March 09, 2012, 04:46:30 PM

Theymos, would it be possible to have a "deleted" folder in the PMs so that I could keep my inbox clean but still have a record of what's going on?

Not a perfect solution, but you can create a "deleted" label, label your deleted posts with "deleted', and then remove the "Inbox" label on them.

I keep all of my PMs in my inbox and label the unhandled ones to distinguish them from the others. (I have 107 pages in my inbox. Smiley )

marked

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 09, 2012, 05:55:40 PM

Not a perfect solution, but you can create a "deleted" label, label your deleted posts with "deleted', and then remove the "Inbox" label on them.

I keep all of my PMs in my inbox and label the unhandled ones to distinguish them from the others. (I have 107 pages in my inbox. Smiley )

Is there a method by which you can get the PMs you send automatically emailed to you? in which case a GPG signed message or a simple sha sum of the message body in the header and entered as part of the message id or as an X-header [X-PM-SHAHASH: 1458eb... ) That can then be looked at in message logs to verify time and date in case of dispute.

marked
theymos (OP)
Administrator
Legendary

View Profile
March 09, 2012, 06:23:39 PM

He did eventually pay to the correct address, so maybe this was somehow not intentional. I can't imagine how it could have happened, though.

Is there a method by which you can get the PMs you send automatically emailed to you? in which case a GPG signed message or a simple sha sum of the message body in the header and entered as part of the message id or as an X-header [X-PM-SHAHASH: 1458eb... ) That can then be looked at in message logs to verify time and date in case of dispute.

The forum doesn't support that now. It's not a bad idea, though I don't want to code it.

copumpkin
Donator

Activity: 266
Merit: 252

I'm actually a pineapple

View Profile
March 09, 2012, 07:23:45 PM

My PM to them:

Thanks!

Their response:

Thanks!

Sent to

Smiley

Should the option in your profile to do this by default by on by default? Smiley
jarsumarsu
Donator

Activity: 134
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 09, 2012, 09:27:37 PM

He did eventually pay to the correct address, so maybe this was somehow not intentional. I can't imagine how it could have happened, though.

This is my fault, system works fine.

That address 1HE3ycm... is my paying address. > i paid from 1HE3ycm  -address to your 15GM6..  -address and somehow i accidentally changed/messed up the addresses when i reply to you.

I can not understand how i did it, but i'm very very sorry about this address-mess Huh
rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
March 09, 2012, 09:29:28 PM

This is my fault, system works fine.

That address 1HE3ycm... is my paying address. > i paid from 1HE3ycm  -address to your 15GM6..  -address and somehow i accidentally changed/messed up the addresses when i reply to you.

I can not understand how i did it, but i'm very very sorry about this address-mess Huh
Blockexplorer agrees, although I still wonder how that could have happened.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: