Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 02:55:54 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bad Day  (Read 3821 times)
LouReed

Activity: 732
Merit: 500

Nosce te Ipsum

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 04:17:07 PM

Some punk scammed me out of 4 BTC last night.
And this morning my Jalapeño died in a power surge.

Not cool.

That was my favorite (albeit useless) miner.

It's officially Bad Mood Monday.

Dint you use escrow ?

Escrow doesn't protect you from a payPal chargeback.
Gleb Gamow
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1145

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 04:24:21 PM

rule of the street, if you wont simply hand a stranger on the street $2400... dont do it online

I thought I had it down. It didn't occur to me that he was hacking other people's Paypal accounts to pay me. So I'm doing what's right and returning their money to them.

no.. he is not hacking other peoples accounts..

thats what the chargeback kings always say to paypal "we have ben hacked" thats how they get their money back and keep the bitcoins

if you been paypal scammed then keep the money and let paypal reimburse them from paypal profits. afterall paypal have insurance, paypal make profit and paypal should have better security.. its their fault not yours.

unless your a scammer, never give back money to paypal.. let them lose out, not the honest people.

That sounds like a good idea in theory, but Paypal just takes the money out of your account first and then asks questions later...  If you have a 0 paypal balance, then your balance becomes negative and you can no longer use the account until you repay the overdraw amount...

Rumor has it that creating a new PayPal account is the hardest thing in the world to do  Roll Eyes, ergo protect your PayPal account at ALL cost.
LostDutchman

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
July 07, 2014, 04:41:19 PM

Not cool.

Not entirely bad.

At least your Jally had the common sense to give up the ghost!

Damn thing was just a coffee cup warmer!

As far as being scammed through Paypal, by now everyone on this forum should know better than to use Paypal in connection with ANY crypto transaction of ANY kind.

Shame on you!

Corporations For Crypto
Protect Your Assets and Reduce Your Tax Liability With A Kansas Corporation!
We Demand Justice From BFL
fryarminer (OP)

Activity: 686

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 04:41:44 PM

Hey thanks for all the advice and support.
I won't send the money back to the people. I'll let Paypal deal with it. You guys are right.

This is how it went down. I have a listing on eBay for a physical coin. Some guy asked if I would sell him bitcoin digitally. I said ok, but only if he paypal'd me the money as "friends or family". I thought that that was irreversible, but I guess I was wrong.

So he paid me for one btc, then he said that he had other friends who wanted in on it too since I sold the btc pretty much at spot price. I said sure, but so as not to confuse, I'd send him the btc and he would send it to his friends, after they paypal'd the money to me as friends or family.

This morning I woke up and one of the people had reversed their payment claiming their account was hacked. So far the other payments stand good, so technically I've only lost one btc at this stage. Suspecting it was just one guy who hacked other people's paypal accounts, I thought the other charges will be reversed soon.
But you have all assured me that that's probably not the case.

That's where I stand now. I did send emails to the other people asking them if they got their BTC.

And as far as the Jalapeño goes - I'm not gonna spend $10 on a new PSU, since it will never make back $10 at this stage hahaha!

I guess I'm a total idiot. I'm only gonna take cash for btc in future. Or just stick to exchanges.
fryarminer (OP)

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 04:44:34 PM

Not cool.

Not entirely bad.

As far as being scammed through Paypal, by now everyone on this forum should know better than to use Paypal in connection with ANY crypto transaction of ANY kind.

Shame on you!

haha yeah I'm an idiot!
LostDutchman

View Profile WWW
July 07, 2014, 04:46:34 PM

Not cool.

Not entirely bad.

Shame on you!

haha yeah I'm an idiot!

No, you are NOT an idiot!

You just had to learn the hard way and I've done that myself and lost much more than you but in other areas.

Armed with this new knowledge, get back to work earn and keep your ass covered!

Best wishes!

Corporations For Crypto
fryarminer (OP)

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 04:50:42 PM

I guess it's part of the fun of bitcoin. I'm sure in the early days of gold you just took it for granted that you'd get robbed and stuff. Part of the nature of irreversible currency.

I guess the important thing is to learn from the error, shake it off, then move on.
LostDutchman

View Profile WWW
July 07, 2014, 04:51:58 PM

I guess it's part of the fun of bitcoin. I'm sure in the early days of gold you just took it for granted that you'd get robbed and stuff. Part of the nature of irreversible currency.

I guess the important thing is to learn from the error, shake it off, then move on.

An errror or mistake represents a learning opporutinity.

Learn, live long and prosper!

Wink

Thus spake The Dutchman!

Corporations For Crypto
Ron~Popeil

Activity: 406

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 05:01:53 PM

Wink

Thus spake The Dutchman!

That is exactly why I like these kind of threads. When I found my way here I gained a ton of valuable knowledge just by reading about other people's experiences. I feel almost guilty saying it but I have used the hard lessons others have learned to avoid the costly mistakes people make when new to bit coin.

fryarminer (OP)

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 05:05:16 PM

Wink

Thus spake The Dutchman!

That is exactly why I like these kind of threads. When I found my way here I gained a ton of valuable knowledge just by reading about other people's experiences. I feel almost guilty saying it but I have used the hard lessons others have learned to avoid the costly mistakes people make when new to bit coin.

Rock on dude - better to learn on a thread than to learn the hard way!

Now I'm going to experiment and see how many times I can make my old Jally skip across a lake...
LostDutchman

View Profile WWW
July 07, 2014, 05:06:54 PM

Wink

Thus spake The Dutchman!

Now I'm going to experiment and see how many times I can make my old Jally skip across a lake...

Well, we shot skeet with ours............................

Wink

Corporations For Crypto
LostDutchman

View Profile WWW
July 07, 2014, 05:13:09 PM

Wink

Thus spake The Dutchman!

OH, my freind, profiting from the experience of others is EXACTLY what you should do!

Why try to reinvent the wheel?

It's like if some guy tells you, "Hey, if you do this shit, you're gonna get killed!"

You say, "Naw, I can do that shit!"

KA-BOOM!

You can't get into Heaven 'cause you killed yourself, so where are you then?

You can't get into Hell because Satan figures you're too stupid to even stoke the fires and are therefore a safety hazard, so avoid all that shit by learning and profiting from both the successes and mistakes of others!

Corporations For Crypto
fryarminer (OP)

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 05:25:45 PM

Wink

Thus spake The Dutchman!

Well, we shot skeet with ours............................

Wink

Nice.
allthingsluxury
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1029

View Profile WWW
July 07, 2014, 05:27:26 PM

Not cool.

Wow, very sorry to hear, hopefully it gets better!

haploid23
Legendary

Activity: 812
Merit: 1002

View Profile WWW
July 07, 2014, 05:41:00 PM

if you been paypal scammed then keep the money and let paypal reimburse them from paypal profits. afterall paypal have insurance, paypal make profit and paypal should have better security.. its their fault not yours.

unless your a scammer, never give back money to paypal.. let them lose out, not the honest people.

I only wish it was this easy with banks. Last year, someone sent me money by direct bank transfer, ACH payment with Chase bank. Once it cleared into my account, I released the bitcoins, then a few days later the transaction was reversed. I was under the assumption that ACH payments were cash equivalents and cannot be reversed once cleared. Shortly after, chase closed my bank account, flagged me as being involved in FRAUD so now they won't ever let me open an account with them. All in all, I lost a lot of bitcoins, money, got account closed, and labeled as fraud on their records. I have no idea what the scumbag reported to chase, but this is the worst possible outcome. Very expensive lesson for me.

LostDutchman

View Profile WWW
July 07, 2014, 05:52:57 PM

I only wish it was this easy with banks. Last year, someone sent me money by direct bank transfer, ACH payment with Chase bank. Once it cleared into my account, I released the bitcoins, then a few days later the transaction was reversed. I was under the assumption that ACH payments were cash equivalents and cannot be reversed once cleared. Shortly after, chase closed my bank account, flagged me as being involved in FRAUD so now they won't ever let me open an account with them. All in all, I lost a lot of bitcoins, money, got account closed, and labeled as fraud on their records. I have no idea what the scumbag reported to chase, but this is the worst possible outcome. Very expensive lesson for me.

I'm not sure that Chase is known to be Bitcoin freindly so maybe others have had similar experience with them to tell us about?

Corporations For Crypto
fryarminer (OP)

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 06:00:38 PM

Wow. That's intense!!
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4256
Merit: 4532

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 06:35:51 PM

Some guy asked if I would sell him bitcoin digitally.

people had reversed their payment claiming their account was hacked.

standard scam practice been going on for years, so dont feel like your the only one, just cash out your paypal, and stick away from it.

hope you have a great future and hope this is the last mistake you make..

never trade soo much with someone you dont know.

simple rule if you cant grab them hold by the neck after they scam you, grab their name and address before you even hand a penny to them

EG
don't trade on websites that use who-is guards on their website registrations
dont trade via chatrooms with strangers

protect your funds, especially amounts more then a hotmeal and a couple beers that you'd normally waste at a weekend..

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Meuh6879
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1011

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 07:08:46 PM

Also, it's possible that you only need a new PSU for your miner, which don't cost that much.

clear.

10A 12v power supply (heavy standard on HP/DELL accessory refurbished on eBay) = 15 USD.
fryarminer (OP)

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 08:05:33 PM

Well, the day just got better.

I have an address, telephone number and even a website from the initial guy who asked me for bitcoin. It was his "friend" who reversed the paypal charge, so I'm not going to post the info here (yet). First I want to know if he was the scammer or his "friend". Then I might pay him a little visit. He's in Goldsithney, Cornwall, UK.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: