Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 11:57:50 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Set To Transform the Courtroom  (Read 1124 times)
keanbosch (OP)

Activity: 72
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 07:43:19 PM

The cost of litigation in the United States is completely out of control. Not only does litigation cost the tax payers, who have to pay for wasted court time, but it also costs businesses who have to overspend on insurance to protect their assets from litigation, which is passed on to the consumers, leaving taxpayers with a double bill.

http://www.ahametals.com/bitcoin-transform-the-courtroom/

“It’s money 2.0, a huge huge huge deal.”
keithers
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001

This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 08:42:42 PM

The cost of litigation in the United States is completely out of control. Not only does litigation cost the tax payers, who have to pay for wasted court time, but it also costs businesses who have to overspend on insurance to protect their assets from litigation, which is passed on to the consumers, leaving taxpayers with a double bill.

Yes you are absolutely right about courts and the outrageous costs. I have personally spent probably $50k for a custody case. I ended up on top, but it literally cost me that much to prove that I should be the sole provider for my daughter. I wont go into it all, but if i just gave you the cliff notes you would say that it is a no brainer, but still the courts manage to drag it out to cost me more money.
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4228
Merit: 4490

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 09:06:26 PM

Yes you are absolutely right about courts and the outrageous costs. I have personally spent probably $50k for a custody case. I ended up on top, but it literally cost me that much to prove that I should be the sole provider for my daughter. I wont go into it all, but if i just gave you the cliff notes you would say that it is a no brainer, but still the courts manage to drag it out to cost me more money.

(pun intended) but wasnt it because you 'ended up on top' 9 months before your child was born that got you into that trouble Cheesy

now onto the serious part i want to make.

everyone is talking about smart contract can in the future... blah blah blah.. so show me not in description, but in an actual code on the blockchain a smart contract that could easily be shown to a lawyer or judge. i have sem months and months of posts about the theory.. so its time to see a live example

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 09:57:50 PM

Hmm seems like a nice legal topic to talk about
And yes smart contracts could definitely lower costs in the court case Smiley

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
jbreher
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1660

lose: unfind ... loose: untight

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 12:05:09 AM

everyone is talking about smart contract can in the future... blah blah blah.. so show me not in description, but in an actual code on the blockchain a smart contract that could easily be shown to a lawyer or judge. i have sem months and months of posts about the theory.. so its time to see a live example

That could be an interesting discussion. If a contract dispute makes it to trial, it is likely not over whether or not one of the parties has signed a document, it is more likely that the dispute is over interpretation of the document. How can the blockchain add any value to this form of dispute resolution?

Anyone with a campaign ad in their signature -- for an organization with which they are not otherwise affiliated -- is automatically deducted credibility points.

I've been convicted of heresy. Convicted by a mere known extortionist. Read my Trust for details.
Beliathon

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
July 08, 2014, 12:32:56 AM

Related: The long reach of reason..

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
DannyElfman

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 02:04:17 AM

That could be an interesting discussion. If a contract dispute makes it to trial, it is likely not over whether or not one of the parties has signed a document, it is more likely that the dispute is over interpretation of the document. How can the blockchain add any value to this form of dispute resolution?
There is also often a dispute about facts in litigation, for example if work performed was timely, and/or meet certain quality standards.

This spot for rent.
ThomasCrowne

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

★☆★ 777Coin - The Exciting Bitco

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 02:06:05 AM

Really hoping that "smart contracts" will not only transform the courtroom but hopefully will seep into the current political election process as well.  No more rigged machines!

hollowframe

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 05:05:15 AM

This is the real issue with most contracts. The dispute is rarely if both parties entered into a contract, but the dispute is more along the lines of how the terms of a contract should be interpreted
jbreher
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1660

lose: unfind ... loose: untight

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 03:48:58 PM

There is also often a dispute about facts in litigation, for example if work performed was timely, and/or meet certain quality standards.

Right. What value could blockchain technology bring to this sort of dispute? I'm not seeing any.

Anyone with a campaign ad in their signature -- for an organization with which they are not otherwise affiliated -- is automatically deducted credibility points.

I've been convicted of heresy. Convicted by a mere known extortionist. Read my Trust for details.
emeraldforce

Activity: 187
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 04:22:13 PM

Right. What value could blockchain technology bring to this sort of dispute? I'm not seeing any.

No value to us but kickbacks to judges would become even more invisible using the BTC block chain hence no paper trail.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: