Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 11:01:42 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The Amazing (And True!) Story of Bitcoin by Adrianne Jeffries - Video  (Read 2921 times)
evoorhees (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
March 10, 2012, 03:02:14 AM
Last edit: March 10, 2012, 03:14:34 AM by evoorhees

Am I the first to find this? Smiley

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sKx6lhxM_8

Great job Adrianne! (but you're wrong that it'll always be too hard for the average person to use  Wink )

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
MelMan2002

Activity: 461
Merit: 251

View Profile
March 10, 2012, 03:32:00 AM

Nice find!  Horribly organized presentation and not very well explained to the average person (I'm not sure what her audience was) but at least she got most of her facts right (which is more than I can say about most journalists).

Yeah, I'm not sure why she thinks that bitcoins will always be "hard to use".  The user really doesn't need to know how it works.  It is bound to be as easy to use as google wallet and some would argue that it already is to that point.

19F6veduCZcudwXuWoVosjmzziQz4EhBPS
Jon
Donator

Activity: 98
Merit: 12

No Gods; No Masters; Only You

View Profile
March 10, 2012, 03:40:01 AM

I cringed when I saw the MyBitcoin page.

The Communists say, equal labour entitles man to equal enjoyment. No, equal labour does not entitle you to it, but equal enjoyment alone entitles you to equal enjoyment. Enjoy, then you are entitled to enjoyment. But, if you have laboured and let the enjoyment be taken from you, then – ‘it serves you right.’ If you take the enjoyment, it is your right.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
March 10, 2012, 04:16:41 AM

She has an impish smile and nice legs. I don't have much more good to say about her talk. Why was she chosen to speak about Bitcoin? Go back to the first sentence.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
bitcoinbetas

Activity: 240
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 10, 2012, 05:10:14 AM

I still can't get over the "mybitcoin" as in his/her bitcoins.
cunicula
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1003

View Profile
March 10, 2012, 05:46:19 AM

She has an impish smile and nice legs. I don't have much more good to say about her talk. Why was she chosen to speak about Bitcoin? Go back to the first sentence.

Think about what an idiot you are. She is clearly better than you. So shut the fuck up.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
March 10, 2012, 05:48:10 AM

Think about what an idiot you are. She is clearly better than you. So shut the fuck up.
ROFL

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
evoorhees (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
March 10, 2012, 05:52:42 AM

Yeah don't be a douche. Maybe she was "chosen" to speak about Bitcoin because she's been the most dedicated professional journalist on the subject in the entire world (save perhaps for Matonis who also kicks ass). Adrianne didn't just write up one piece when the topic was hot, or some hack occurred, or copied some AP piece. She's been writing quality journalism on Bitcoin since last summer. What was the last video-recorded professional presentation you gave on the topic cbeast? Again, go back to the first sentence  Roll Eyes
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
March 10, 2012, 06:06:51 AM

Yeah don't be a douche. Maybe she was "chosen" to speak about Bitcoin because she's been the most dedicated professional journalist on the subject in the entire world (save perhaps for Matonis who also kicks ass). Adrianne didn't just write up one piece when the topic was hot, or some hack occurred, or copied some AP piece. She's been writing quality journalism on Bitcoin since last summer. What was the last video-recorded professional presentation you gave on the topic cbeast? Again, go back to the first sentence  Roll Eyes

I'm surprised it wasn't mentioned that she's short (compared to the host when she walked on stage)--as in a midget--with nice short legs.

Seriously, Andrianne gave a very good talk which I enjoyed immensely.

~Cackling Bear~
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 10, 2012, 06:20:38 AM
Last edit: March 10, 2012, 06:46:46 AM by cypherdoc

i have to say i see it quite differently.

i think it was a very poor talk.  all she did was give a superficial historical review with a heavy slant towards the negative events over the last year including her own mishap with MyBitcoin.  she showed no understanding of the economics behind why Bitcoin was created or how it fits into the financial crisis of the last 4 years.  she even had the gall to say she understood Bitcoin better than most ppl in a previous video interview with that other supposed financial expert who's name escapes me.  David Birch.

its high time we get someone who is articulate and has a deep understanding of the corrupt financial world into which Bitcoin is trying to insert a viable solution.  

if i were to give a talk on Bitcoin i would spend 75% of the talk emphasizing the mess we're in with central banks printing money all over the world in an attempt to stop the debt deleveraging deflationary spiral.  i would throw up pictures of M2 and debt/GDP ratio and how they started their upward parabolic moves in the 1970's when we went off the gold standard.  i would then throw up a graph of the asymptotic Bitcoin issuance curve contrasting their shapes.  i would talk about how gold has always been real money backing fiat paper and how Bitcoin is digital gold.  i would put up a 100 yr graph of the declining value of the USD and overlay that on top of the Dow and debt levels.  i would throw up a non log graph of the last 100 yrs in the Dow and show how we have peaked and are in a frightening massive head and shoulders formation over the last 12 years with a projected line straight down the shoot over the next decade.  i would throw up a graph showing how Obama has doubled the national debt in just 3 yrs.  i would throw up a graph of declining housing prices and how this correlates with decreasing household wealth.  i would go over the 2007-08 crisis and how it began and why.  i would explain how Geithner, Bernanke and Hank Paulson broke the rule of law and bailed out crony banking institutions and AIG.  i would emphasize that not one banker who caused this whole mess has gone to prison.  i would explain that 0.01% of the US population owns a counterfeiting ring that only they can tap into and every USD they print devalues the other 99.99% of the populations's USD's.  i would throw up a graph showing why this very phenomenon has resulted in the tremendous wealth disparity of these ppl to the rest of us.  i would go over the European sovereign debt issue and explain that banks all over the world dumped their bad debts onto gov'ts and are pushing them into default as we speak.  

for the rest of the 25% talk i would only insert the basics of Bitcoin into key selected points staying away from the technical side and showing just why Bitcoin would solve a particular problem.

this is just off the top of my head.  sorry for the rant but listening to her made me puke.
cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
March 10, 2012, 06:28:10 AM

i think it was a very poor talk.  all she did was give a superficial historical review with a heavy slant towards the negative events over the last year including her own mishap with MyBitcoin.  she showed no understanding of the economics behind why Bitcoin was created or how it fits into the financial crisis of the last 4 years.

its high time we get someone who is articulate and has a deep understanding of the corrupt financial world into which Bitcoin is trying to insert a viable solution. 

I wasn't impressed by the talk, but I'll give some respect for anyone bothering to give a talk in front of a crowd of strangers (hell, friends and relatives for that matter). I couldn't do it, I have a hard enough time sharing with people I care about. I've always been more comfortable with text.

That said, why don't you start giving talks? I've read many of your posts, and you seem articulate and understanding enough.

i really would like to but am trying to maintain a low profile.
reg

Activity: 463
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 10, 2012, 06:54:03 AM

video, crude but outlined the problems I personally have in converting sheeple to the faith.!.  In the community we have sort of resolved (nearly) the security issues the price having remained stable through the last hack of an online wallet storage -so with multi-sig we are nearly there. How confident she was though in the power of the us government ($14.5 trillion) in debt to just shut down BTC if it threatened the $? The two methods discussed at length are a 51% attack and a shut down or censorship(control) of the net! Both those arguments quickly become so technical you can see the eyes glaze over and you have lost your convert. Why- because we know China is already doing it! In the UK police have recently trawled millions of phone call records and e-mails(stored for the last 5 years) to prosecute journalists in phone hacking cases.So people say whats to stop the authorities just blocking every BTC users IP? How can I answer that in non tech talk? They are not impressed with there will be work arounds! Although we know there are in china (if you are a computer buff) and there will be here but what we have is a confidence problem. In that in the last 6000 years no one has fought and won against an overwhelming authoritarian regieme. However I believe BTC is the first hope of restoring individual autonomy and will fight for it-even against those overwhelming odds.  reg
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
March 10, 2012, 07:03:00 AM

As to her journalistic POV, she has not demonstrated any understanding of how and why Bitcoin works. I have read some of her pieces and they were nothing profound. Generally when speaking, you have a structure to the presentation. All she did was give the media version of the history of Bitcoin, FUD and all. She doesn't seem to be anti-Bitcoin, but without any understanding of crypto-currencies, she regurgitates the same skeptical treatment as every other anti-Bitcoin media. She claims to be an expert on Bitcoin, but really she seems more interested in only reporting newsworthy events and not any real investigatory journalism.
BTW, I have produced nationally sold video training films, but I look better in writing =)

MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
March 10, 2012, 07:18:32 AM

I thought it was a fairly good bit from a media type, but that she wasn't particularly well versed in public speaking.  She said, "um" too much for the stage.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
March 10, 2012, 07:33:26 AM
Last edit: March 10, 2012, 07:57:00 AM by Phinnaeus Gage

i think it was a very poor talk.  all she did was give a superficial historical review with a heavy slant towards the negative events over the last year including her own mishap with MyBitcoin.  she showed no understanding of the economics behind why Bitcoin was created or how it fits into the financial crisis of the last 4 years.

I wasn't impressed by the talk, but I'll give some respect for anyone bothering to give a talk in front of a crowd of strangers (hell, friends and relatives for that matter). I couldn't do it, I have a hard enough time sharing with people I care about. I've always been more comfortable with text.

That said, why don't you start giving talks? I've read many of your posts, and you seem articulate and understanding enough.

I've been on stage over a thousand times, but I was comfortable because I knew the subject matter. Some day soon I'll be doing it again with Bitcoin as my subject. Wait till you see my Nike a la Max Keiser shoes !

~Cackling Bear~
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
March 10, 2012, 12:24:40 PM

i think it was a very poor talk.  all she did was give a superficial historical review with a heavy slant towards the negative events over the last year including her own mishap with MyBitcoin.  she showed no understanding of the economics behind why Bitcoin was created or how it fits into the financial crisis of the last 4 years.  she even had the gall to say she understood Bitcoin better than most ppl in a previous video interview with that other supposed financial expert who's name escapes me.  David Birch.

if i were to give a talk on Bitcoin i would spend 75% of the talk emphasizing the mess we're in with central banks printing money all over the world in an attempt to stop the debt deleveraging deflationary spiral.  i would throw up pictures of M2 and debt/GDP ratio and how they started their upward parabolic moves in the 1970's when we went off the gold standard.  i would then throw up a graph of the asymptotic Bitcoin issuance curve contrasting their shapes.  i would talk about how gold has always been real money backing fiat paper and how Bitcoin is digital gold.  i would put up a 100 yr graph of the declining value of the USD and overlay that on top of the Dow and debt levels.  i would throw up a non log graph of the last 100 yrs in the Dow and show how we have peaked and are in a frightening massive head and shoulders formation over the last 12 years with a projected line straight down the shoot over the next decade.  i would throw up a graph showing how Obama has doubled the national debt in just 3 yrs.  i would throw up a graph of declining housing prices and how this correlates with decreasing household wealth.  i would go over the 2007-08 crisis and how it began and why.  i would explain how Geithner, Bernanke and Hank Paulson broke the rule of law and bailed out crony banking institutions and AIG.  i would emphasize that not one banker who caused this whole mess has gone to prison.  i would explain that 0.01% of the US population owns a counterfeiting ring that only they can tap into and every USD they print devalues the other 99.99% of the populations's USD's.  i would throw up a graph showing why this very phenomenon has resulted in the tremendous wealth disparity of these ppl to the rest of us.  i would go over the European sovereign debt issue and explain that banks all over the world dumped their bad debts onto gov'ts and are pushing them into default as we speak.  

for the rest of the 25% talk i would only insert the basics of Bitcoin into key selected points staying away from the technical side and showing just why Bitcoin would solve a particular problem.

this is just off the top of my head.  sorry for the rant but listening to her made me puke.

good outline of a talk to motivate people on bitcoin.

I dont think I agree on the part where you stay away from the technicals. I really think it is necessary (if you want to see people trust the blockchain) to explain how the "public ledger" works and how you have a key that enables spending the outputs of transactions (Adrianna totally fails on this one and it was painful to see her agree on the host saying: "so it's just a string of character that can't be copied?"). I'd explain that there are some bitcoins that exist "only in my brain" (in the form of a electrum wallet seed). Put up the address and say: "you can send bitcoins to this address, which can then only be spent by using a key that exists only in my brain" (point to head with finger). Something like that. There's no simplifying this and it really isn't that complicated. What's so hard to understand about needing a key that enables spending money sent to an address linked to that key?

I like your spin on elaborating on the current (and historical) problems with FIAT currency and maybe the inevitable revival of market-based commodity money (I specifically include bitcoin here, of course), because frankly, this is what sold bitcoin to me. Remember the first time you grasped satoshis idea (blockchain, proof of work) and the implications this could have? I was clearly in some sort of a heightened state for days, even weeks, rambling on about this revolutionary idea that would change the world to my friends. An ideal talk about bitcoin would instill exactly that in people and I think your idea of emphasizing the problems bitcoin solves is good.

Let's see (hopefully) how Bill Barhydt does with his "TED2012 Full Spectrum" talk on bitcoin

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358

View Profile
March 10, 2012, 12:35:51 PM

Now, if only you came out of the anonimity closet and did it... Roll Eyes
genjix
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1072

View Profile
March 10, 2012, 01:21:38 PM

I agree with cypherdoc,

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=66174.msg767605#msg767605

We had David Birch at last years European Bitcoin Conference:

http://bitcoinmedia.com/eurobit-david-birch-next-generation-money/

Not sure why Adrianne Jeffries is talking about bitcoin though. She's a journalist, not a payments expert and some of her writings have been wrong or shown a deep lack of understanding about bitcoin and the community.

David Birch is actually a payments consultant for the conventional banking industry. So when you hear him speak, you know this is the current conventional wisdom in those circles.
phathash

Activity: 75
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 10, 2012, 02:29:16 PM

I thought she was great.

Why should experts be the only people to give Bitcoin talks? Why does every talk need to go into great detail?

I can assure you, tell the average person that it is possible to "own" a unique chunk of ones & zeros on a USB stick, and they will believe you. They don't care about the double spending problem, or give a second thought towards distributed timestamp servers. They understand the analogy of a leather wallet and a USB stick. Even holding a USB stick may be too much. Users may prefer the MyBitcoin vault model, without caring about FinCEN complications.

Since when does the average BitTorrent user understand the finer aspects of distributed hash tables and fair file share schemes? BitTorrent + Pirate Bay = free movies and porn. It is useful.

Do users really need to trust the Bitcoin protocol and blockchain? A billion people on Facebook, but do users really trust it? Friends use Facebook. It is useful.

Technology should be simple to use. Users should be allowed to be ignorant if they so wish to. Of course, a premium should be paid for this ignorance.

Bitcoin is brilliant. It serves the "fringes of society" well. It also performs well as a reserve currency. Overlay technologies need to improve.

PayPal is simple. Users are phish in a big pond. Users enjoy the ability to chargeback once their computer is rooted. Credit card fees and higher merchant operating costs are the premium paid for this luxury.

I could imagine users might fear storing money in irrevocable Bitcoin. Adrianne lost her two coins. Good to see she has kept her chin up however.
cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
March 10, 2012, 03:00:45 PM
Last edit: March 11, 2012, 04:55:21 PM by cypherdoc

when talking about Bitcoin or any other topic, you want to get the audience fired up and define the problem. and then you need to propose a solution.

what are most ppl worldwide (in the know) angry about these days?  the financial crisis and its perpetrators, the banks.  everyone realizes that we are facing a new age of financial repression forced upon us by those who have their fingers in the till and enforce moral hazard on the rest of us responsible folks.

feed that anger by talking about the crisis primarily and inserting Bitcoin solutions at strategic points in the talk.  we are way past the point where we want anyone who's willing to talk about Bitcoin up on stage.  we need passionate speakers with fire in their bellies who can speak to the crisis and outline exactly why Bitcoin is better.  one day we will get some of the excellent speakers from the gold bug crowd won over who may achieve these goals for us.

heres a few other pointers i came up with last summer:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=31005.msg390703#msg390703
bitrebel:  congrats on your efforts to spread the word.  you know i'm a fan of yours right?  but i have a few suggestions the next time you appear on Alex's show.

1.  don't talk about mining.  its confusing.
2.  don't talk about the blockchain.  its even more confusing.
3.  say that bitcoin is "digital gold".  that'll definitely make them sit up.
4.  say that only a fixed number will be issued and then NO MORE.
5.  say that since its digital it can be instantaneously transported across borders w/o detection.  they'll immediately realize the implications of this.
6.  don't say anything about "cryptocurrency" or "cryptography".  this makes it sound like bitcoin is trying to hide something along the likes of Silk Road and other illegal activities.
7.  say that bitcoins are secured by "advanced mathematical algorithms" that prevent counterfeiting.  sounds impressive.
8.  try to avoid saying anything about Satoshi since an unknown character brings to mind a shady type character or hidden agenda.
9.  do explain that the decentralized or "spread out" nature of bitcoin computers makes it indestructable to gov't or Fed intervention.    they'll like that.
10.  when they ask what its denominated in say that bitcoin is a currency UNTO ITSELF and "floats" in value against other fiat currencies like the USD but bitcoin is in fact NOT a fiat currency.  you might mention that you think that bitcoin will become the gold std against which all other currencies will be measured.
11. i wouldn't recommend newbies go to forum.bitcoin.org especially with all the trolls we've been getting there recently.  the best place for them to go to learn about bitcoin is bitcoin.org which explains all the facts and has references.

love ya man.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: