Bitcoin Forum
August 07, 2024, 09:21:38 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.1 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: “What are we going to do for the people who are here who are starving already?”  (Read 1377 times)
Spendulus
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1386

View Profile
July 09, 2014, 01:40:29 AM

This video made me sad.  So much hatred and racism on display.  I think the largest error in thinking is that immigration is a zero sum game, in that either Americans or immigrants benefit, but not both.  There are already millions of undocumented workers in the country, and America is a better place for it.  They are Americans, as every bit as my European grandparents, just trying to make a better life for themselves.  If you were in their shoes you'd come here too.  And I wouldn't blame you.

Told you someone would call those folks racists. Took only 12 posts...

Hispanics are not a 'race' but an 'ethnic group' defined by something like 832 surnames.  I guess noviapriani could be correct if you considered the blacks as being racist against the 'whites', and the 'whites' including hispanics. 

That would make no sense, but hey, nothing new in that.

beetcoin

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 09, 2014, 01:54:30 AM

it's got plenty to do with ayn rand. it's basically the mentality of "fuck you, i'm worried about myself only."

I have the definite idea here you know nothing about ayn rand.

In other words, you have good intentions, but have used an incorrect example?  An interesting question though is whether the illegal immigrants have the attitude....

"fuck you, i'm worried about myself only."

....or whether they may have the actual attitudes as suggested by Rand.

Because the illegals are those taking action, while we in the US are influenced by what they do and where.

i'll admit that i haven't read her books, mainly because no one except republicans and wealthy people take it seriously. but i have read through her wikipedia page, and here's an excerpt for you:

She said the individual should "exist for his own sake, neither sacrificing himself to others nor sacrificing others to himself."
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
July 09, 2014, 06:30:00 AM

You can't read beetcoin lol Tongue

She said the individual should "exist for his own sake, neither sacrificing himself to others nor sacrificing others to himself."

She's basically saying, live for yourself but don't sacrifice yourself and others in the process, in other words, that means don't be a greedy bastard but don't be a pushover either. If you give away everything you have then you won't be able to survive yourself but if you keep everything you own at the expense of other people then they'll all die.

People like you really do seem to conform to the "I hate the rich" stereotypes I see around in politics.
SunBin

Activity: 151
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 09, 2014, 08:56:24 AM

Normally, people who are hungry do whatever they can to survive.

Not so in the US, they complain and expect government to do something for them.
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
July 09, 2014, 03:22:48 PM

it's got plenty to do with ayn rand. it's basically the mentality of "fuck you, i'm worried about myself only."

I have the definite idea here you know nothing about ayn rand.

In other words, you have good intentions, but have used an incorrect example?  An interesting question though is whether the illegal immigrants have the attitude....

"fuck you, i'm worried about myself only."

....or whether they may have the actual attitudes as suggested by Rand.

Because the illegals are those taking action, while we in the US are influenced by what they do and where.

i'll admit that i haven't read her books, mainly because no one except republicans and wealthy people take it seriously. but i have read through her wikipedia page, and here's an excerpt for you:

English as a second language is hard  Smiley

Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
July 09, 2014, 06:02:00 PM

A weird thing about the state is that it invents the issue of borders (that is, if there were no social handouts, incl. defense, but individually paid services, the only foreigners you'd get are people ready to work hard to make a living), and the only way it can fundamentally solve the issue is by failing to do what the state is intended to do.

The alternative solutions--build a giant wall and/or shoot anyone who doesn't belong--are either more expensive than they're worth or just outright inhumane, and never actually solve the problem, just prolongs it.  Oh, I can hear it already: "Ah but you see, Mike, what you don't understand is, muh roads."

Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
July 09, 2014, 07:15:01 PM

A weird thing about the state is that it invents the issue of borders (that is, if there were no social handouts, incl. defense, but individually paid services, the only foreigners you'd get are people ready to work hard to make a living), and the only way it can fundamentally solve the issue is by failing to do what the state is intended to do.

The alternative solutions--build a giant wall and/or shoot anyone who doesn't belong--are either more expensive than they're worth or just outright inhumane, and never actually solve the problem, just prolongs it.  Oh, I can hear it already: "Ah but you see, Mike, what you don't understand is, muh roads."

http://youtu.be/dEmxZcEBJNg

Wink

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: