Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 05:48:05 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [HELP ME!] [Edited (again)] Computer Crashed No Graphics Card Detected.  (Read 3142 times)
e1ghtSpace (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1001

Crypto since 2014

View Profile WWW
July 07, 2014, 11:44:46 PM
Last edit: July 08, 2014, 10:49:13 AM by e1ghtSpace

I have an R9 290X

I tried to use oclvanitygen64.exe to mine a bitcoin address.
It said "compiling Kernel this could take a few minutes..."
Then it said "Done"

My computer shut off instantly.
I tried to turn it on but it didn't work. But then after about a minute of trying, it worked.

The screens were black so I plugged one of the DVI cords into the Motherboard Port instead of the Graphics Card.

Now the computer screens work but the graphics card isn't being detected at all.

I have deleted and reinstalled all of the drivers (newest version) and still nothing.
I have read some stuff online and apparently it might be a PSU issue. Can a Graphics card even make a computer turn off instantly? (not even BSOD?)
Do you think the PSU is broken and can't power the Graphics Card? Or is it the Graphics Card itself?

According to byt411, if I wait a few days, it'll work again. Is that possible?

Important Edit:
Fan on GPU Spins and Light shines.
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
byt411

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 12:09:05 AM

If you can turn on your computer properly, then there isn't a problem.
That happened to me once; MSI Afterburner wouldn't detect it or anything, so all I did was I ignored it, and a few days later, it worked again.
e1ghtSpace (OP)
Legendary

Crypto since 2014

View Profile WWW
July 08, 2014, 12:20:11 AM

That happened to me once; MSI Afterburner wouldn't detect it or anything, so all I did was I ignored it, and a few days later, it worked again.
Ok thanks for the help! So I just need to wait a few days?

When you say it happened to you once, was it specifically with oclvanitygen?
Do you know why it works again after a few days?

Oh crap, I just realised what ocl stands for. Overclock. Whoops. But I didn't even set any clock speeds. Weird.
byt411

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 12:29:30 AM

Oh crap, I just realised what ocl stands for. Overclock. Whoops. But I didn't even set any clock speeds. Weird.

No, ocl isn't Overclock. It's Open-CL.
Well, it was with GUIMiner back in the old days, and I have no idea. Maybe it overheated or something, i really don't know, but thing like waiting usually work.
e1ghtSpace (OP)
Legendary

Crypto since 2014

View Profile WWW
July 08, 2014, 01:43:55 AM

No, ocl isn't Overclock. It's Open-CL.
Well, it was with GUIMiner back in the old days, and I have no idea. Maybe it overheated or something, i really don't know, but thing like waiting usually work.
Alright, I hope so.
So with your computer, did the monitors get no signal? or was is just a black picture or something?
Also, did you use your computer at all until it worked again?
e1ghtSpace (OP)
Legendary

Crypto since 2014

View Profile WWW
July 08, 2014, 07:03:23 AM

Please read my edit.
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1520

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
July 08, 2014, 08:25:22 AM

-snip-
Can a Graphics card even instantly make a computer turn off instantly?

Yes

(not even BSOD?)

Bluescreen is usually some sort of memory fault.

Do you think the PSU is broken and can't power the Graphics Card?

Unlikely, worth a try anyway. Have another GPU that you know works to test it?

Or is it the Graphics Card itself?

Way more likely.

According to byt411, if I wait a few days, it'll work again. Is that possible?

No. Electrical systems dont just heal themselves over time. Either you blew a fuse and it will reset after ~1 hour or you killed your GPU. Another possibility is that you bricked your GPU. Its electricity is fine, but the software is fucked up.

He cant turn his machine on properly. Fallback to onboard GPU is not "turn on properly".

Id take the GPU out and test it on another machine if possible. While you have it out see if you find any burnmarks or other defect parts.

In case its not obvious: the last one is a joke. If your GPU looked like this youd know allready.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
e1ghtSpace (OP)
Legendary

Crypto since 2014

View Profile WWW
July 08, 2014, 10:43:31 AM

Either you blew a fuse and it will reset after ~1 hour or...
Oh, I totally forgot to tell you; The fan spins and lights on the GPU work. Does that still mean a blown fuse and it should be working okay tomorrow?
byt411

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 12:11:24 PM

Oh, I totally forgot to tell you; The fan spins and lights on the GPU work. Does that still mean a blown fuse and it should be working okay tomorrow?

Oh. I didn't see that you changed to the onboard GPU.
When you were doing the vanity thing, did you notice the fan speed go abnormally high? e1ghtSpace should be right, something got burnt or blown off, probably. Test it with another PC or take it to a nearby computer store.
e1ghtSpace (OP)
Legendary

Crypto since 2014

View Profile WWW
July 08, 2014, 09:07:47 PM

Oh. I didn't see that you changed to the onboard GPU.
When you were doing the vanity thing, did you notice the fan speed go abnormally high? e1ghtSpace should be right, something got burnt or blown off, probably. Test it with another PC or take it to a nearby computer store.
The vanity thing didn't even start.

It just said "Compiling Kernel..."
Then changed to "Compiling Kernel... Done!"
Then the whole computer's power cut off. Nothing about mining.
But the Graphics Card's fan spins while my computer is on.

But my computer doesn't even detect anything at all.
I tried reseating it as well.

I'm going to try this: http://www.overclock.net/t/593427/how-to-unbrick-your-bricked-graphics-card-fix-a-failed-bios-flash
Remember remember the 5th of November
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1011

Reverse engineer from time to time

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 11:11:59 PM

You are heading for more disaster if you try to fiddle with flashing. RMA the card.

BTC:1AiCRMxgf1ptVQwx6hDuKMu4f7F27QmJC2
byt411

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 11:16:03 PM

You are heading for more disaster if you try to fiddle with flashing. RMA the card.

Perfect answer. OP, you didn't flash the BIOS, so that has nothing to do with a bricked card after a failed BIOS flash.
Just take it to the nearest computer store and pay a few bucks, or RMA the card for free.
e1ghtSpace (OP)
Legendary

Crypto since 2014

View Profile WWW
July 09, 2014, 01:58:45 AM

Perfect answer. OP, you didn't flash the BIOS, so that has nothing to do with a bricked card after a failed BIOS flash.
Just take it to the nearest computer store and pay a few bucks, or RMA the card for free.
I'm 14 and my parents would kill me if they found out about the broken card. Sad
Do you think it would it cost a lot to fix?

Would I be able to RMA the card? Well I guess using oclvanitygen doesn't void the warranty or anything. So I should be able to get a replacement?

Would anyone be able to tell if I used oclvanitygen in any way? (apart from having the software on my HDD)
So I could just make up an excuse that I was playing DayZ or something and it crashed?
ALToids

Activity: 519
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 09, 2014, 08:07:24 AM

I'm 14 and my parents would kill me if they found out about the broken card. Sad

Would I be able to RMA the card? Well I guess using oclvanitygen doesn't void the warranty or anything. So I should be able to get a replacement?

Would anyone be able to tell if I used oclvanitygen in any way? (apart from having the software on my HDD)
So I could just make up an excuse that I was playing DayZ or something and it crashed?

Your parents are going to kill you because a video card died?  It should be under warranty unless you try something silly like trying to flash firmware as noted above.

Contact the manufacturer on their website, usually they have a form.  Fill it out and usually in 24 hours they give you instructions.  Mail it back for $10.
e1ghtSpace (OP)
Legendary

Crypto since 2014

View Profile WWW
July 09, 2014, 08:32:03 AM

Your parents are going to kill you because a video card died?  It should be under warranty unless you try something silly like trying to flash firmware as noted above.

Contact the manufacturer on their website, usually they have a form.  Fill it out and usually in 24 hours they give you instructions.  Mail it back for $10.
So my video card dying has nothing to do with oclvanitygen?

Well, I found my warrant card from Gigabyte and it lasts 3 years. I think I got it around January this year so i'm good.
byt411

View Profile
July 09, 2014, 03:27:01 PM

Well, I found my warrant card from Gigabyte and it lasts 3 years. I think I got it around January this year so i'm good.

You can simply say that you were playing DayZ or any other intense game (Not minecraft or pacman) and your pc crashed.
Remember remember the 5th of November
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1011

Reverse engineer from time to time

View Profile
July 09, 2014, 08:13:13 PM

Nobody can find out how the graphics card got bad, nobody!! If you RMA it just say it crashes when gaming.

Anyway, have you mined on the card? I doubt oclvanitygen had anything to do with your card, UNLESS you ran it for hours and hours without your card increasing the fanspeed(or you doing it manually) and THUS it overheated.

BTC:1AiCRMxgf1ptVQwx6hDuKMu4f7F27QmJC2
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1520

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2014, 06:08:25 AM

-snip-
Nobody can find out how the graphics card got bad, nobody!! If you RMA it just say it crashes when gaming.

Anyway, have you mined on the card? I doubt oclvanitygen had anything to do with your card, UNLESS you ran it for hours and hours without your card increasing the fanspeed(or you doing it manually) and THUS it overheated.

It might have been defect from the start. I wouldnt worry about it. Even if you tell them you used vanitygen, its not like you OCd the card with it, so you are within warranty. You can run any software you want on your hardware. At least for now Wink
But unless you want to explain what vanitygen is and what bitcoin is and what all of that has to do with your GPU, tell them you played "fancy modern game X" and it stoped working.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
e1ghtSpace (OP)
Legendary

Crypto since 2014

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2014, 07:31:36 AM

-snip-

It might have been defect from the start. I wouldnt worry about it. Even if you tell them you used vanitygen, its not like you OCd the card with it, so you are within warranty. You can run any software you want on your hardware. At least for now Wink
But unless you want to explain what vanitygen is and what bitcoin is and what all of that has to do with your GPU, tell them you played "fancy modern game X" and it stoped working.
Yep. I'll say I played DayZ standalone.
vm1990
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 08:48:47 AM

Yep if there no BIOS boot screen the cards probably done for on the bright side your dealing with gigabyte who are pretty pleasant to deal with. Although your GPU could end up going a distance for repair or replacement

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: