Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 09:33:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Mining rig randomly shuts off?  (Read 13051 times)
clonedone (OP)

Activity: 350
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 29, 2011, 09:55:46 PM

I finally got two of my 6990s hooked up and both of them are mining just fine now under windows 7.
but then randomly the whole computer just shuts off, but not completely.
the monitor no longer displays anything and i know they have stopped mining because i checked deepbit.

im using 11.4 cata, not sure about sdk, i never installed any so it might be what ever it is default
its also @ 100 percent cpu and 56 percent ram.

anyone know whats going on here?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Cablesaurus

Activity: 302
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2011, 10:13:41 PM

Yes, your Power Supply is supplying insufficient power. You need a better PSU.

PCIe Extender Cables; Dummy Plugs, Fans; PSU Cables; Cases & More
Visit www.Cablesaurus.com and our forum thread at http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=6128.0
eleuthria
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1007

View Profile
April 29, 2011, 10:14:15 PM

What size power supply are you running, and are the cards overclocked?  Sounds like the cards are crashing, and they're crashing in a way that Windows can't recover from.  Two 6990s require a MASSIVE power supply, especially if the machine isn't dedicated to mining meaning other components may be drawing a reasonable amount of power as well.

RIP BTC Guild, April 2011 - June 2015
rezin777

Activity: 154

View Profile
April 29, 2011, 10:28:11 PM

If he bought the power supply from the build specs he listed before, he has ample power.

Unless it's defective. But it seems to be a very good unit.
Tannke

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 29, 2011, 10:44:04 PM

Do you have enabled the energy tweeks (shutdown monitor and sleep mode features)?

I had to disable them, that features may cause that kind of issues.  Undecided
clonedone (OP)

View Profile
April 29, 2011, 11:59:16 PM

i got a 1250 watt power supply, planning on running three 6990s on it, they will not be overclocked however.

i already changed the sleep settings. anyone know how to hook up the third one using windows 7?
grndzero

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 30, 2011, 12:03:17 AM

Are you going through a regulating power strip or UPS?

Could be the power supply being sensitive to the incoming power.

Ubuntu Desktop x64 -  HD5850 Reference - 400Mh/s w/ cgminer  @ 975C/325M/1.175V - 11.6/2.1 SDK
Donate if you find this helpful: 1NimouHg2acbXNfMt5waJ7ohKs2TtYHePy
allinvain
Legendary

Activity: 3080
Merit: 1080

View Profile WWW
April 30, 2011, 12:18:05 AM

Single rail or multi rail power supply? If multi rail make sure you spread the load across all the available PCIE rails.

clonedone (OP)

View Profile
April 30, 2011, 01:17:03 AM

yeah its connected to a power strip, as for rails im not sure what that means, but im using all but two of the pcie ports for power, since the 6990 needs 2 power cables each.

what should i do, connect it to the wall instead?

actually do you think logmein is messing with it? cus i left it alone for two hours and it hadnt shut off, then i used logmein to check up on it, and it shut off within an hour.
allinvain
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 30, 2011, 01:32:33 AM

yeah its connected to a power strip, as for rails im not sure what that means, but im using all but two of the pcie ports for power, since the 6990 needs 2 power cables each.

what should i do, connect it to the wall instead?

actually do you think logmein is messing with it? cus i left it alone for two hours and it hadnt shut off, then i used logmein to check up on it, and it shut off within an hour.

It could maybe possibly remotely cause a driver crash..also try to tone down on the aggressiveness of the miner in case the system being at 100% GPU load is somehow causing driver crashes. As for power supply how about you tell me what power supply specifically you have and I'll tell you if it has dual rails or single. OR you can google it Smiley

clonedone (OP)

View Profile
April 30, 2011, 01:39:21 AM

OCZ ZX Series OCZ-ZX1250W 1250W ATX12V v2.2 / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply Compatible with Core i5 & i7

+12V Rails
    Single

thats the one.

i cant seem to stop it from being 100 percent cpu, i didnt put any flags (im using guiminer)
ghost

Activity: 34
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 30, 2011, 02:02:35 AM

Single rail or multi rail power supply? If multi rail make sure you spread the load across all the available PCIE rails.

This post helped me tremendously. I have dual 6990s and an HX1000 power supply. The 6990s have an over-clock switch that raises the voltage and produces an extra 15% to my hash rates. It was causing the computer to freeze after a couple of minutes and I figured it might be overloading the power supply. Sure enough I didn't have the two cards spread evenly between the rails (in the case of the HX1000, it doesn't have rails but is kind of like 2 500 watt power supplies bundle together).
allinvain
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 30, 2011, 02:06:09 AM

This post helped me tremendously. I have dual 6990s and an HX1000 power supply. The 6990s have an over-clock switch that raises the voltage and produces an extra 15% to my hash rates. It was causing the computer to freeze after a couple of minutes and I figured it might be overloading the power supply. Sure enough I didn't have the two cards spread evenly between the rails (in the case of the HX1000, it doesn't have rails but is kind of like 2 500 watt power supplies bundle together).

I have the same power supply and even with a single 5970 it is still recommended that one spreads the load across the two 12v rails. I'm amazed the PSU handled two 6990 on the same rail. However when I think of it I am not surprised as I've read somewhere that the HX1000W is conservatively rated (ie it can deliver more than 1000W if pushed) and it really a 1200W PSU sold as 1000W (designed by an OEM called CWT)

allinvain
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 30, 2011, 02:08:57 AM

OCZ ZX Series OCZ-ZX1250W 1250W ATX12V v2.2 / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply Compatible with Core i5 & i7

+12V Rails
    Single

thats the one.

i cant seem to stop it from being 100 percent cpu, i didnt put any flags (im using guiminer)

That is more than enough to power two 6990s, unless of course the PSU is faulty. Do you happen to have a spare computer you can test it on?

clonedone (OP)

View Profile
April 30, 2011, 02:11:16 AM

by testing do you mean just plugging it in and running regular computer parts? I can do that, but is there any other solution? i spent a lotta time putting that power supply in heh Grin
allinvain
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 30, 2011, 02:15:46 AM

by testing do you mean just plugging it in and running regular computer parts? I can do that, but is there any other solution? i spent a lotta time putting that power supply in heh Grin

That and also putting as much load on it as possible.

Also to ensure this is not a driver issue uninstall all the catalyst drivers, boot into safe mode and run driver cleaner (available for free on guru3d site or just google it) and remove all traces of the ATI drivers, boot back into windows and reinstall 11.4. If the problem persists then try downgrading to 11.3 (repeat the same procedure)

If even THAT does not work then something terribly wrong is going on. Check to make sure all the PCIE cables are solidly in place, and also do a memtest. Also keep an eye on your temps (for the 6990s) - possible overheat? Bad RAM would not cause the system to shutdown with no vide though (you'd get a blue screen) so I doubt it's the memory. So far I suspect either a faulty PSU or a catalyst driver issue.

clonedone (OP)

View Profile
April 30, 2011, 02:22:49 AM

hmm well i had put in a fresh clean windows 7 with 11.4 cata and NO sdk, it seems fine but only for a couple of hours. im scared to logmein cus i dont wanna taint the testing. ill try out the psu on my other computer , but im afraid i dont have enough to overload it. i have 3 6990s but the third one wont fit into my computer case im gonna have to cut out a hole just for the third one.

thanks for your help though ill test the ram tomorrow and the cata if this problem persists. so far it has been running for an hour with no problem i only logmein once to start it up.

turns out i didnt need to use a dummy monitor with crossfire hope people make use outta this info.

glad someone made use out of this thread other than me.

ill give an update tomorrow so hopefully it can be useful
ghost

Activity: 34
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 30, 2011, 02:23:41 AM

I have the same power supply and even with a single 5970 it is still recommended that one spreads the load across the two 12v rails. I'm amazed the PSU handled two 6990 on the same rail. However when I think of it I am not surprised as I've read somewhere that the HX1000W is conservatively rated (ie it can deliver more than 1000W if pushed) and it really a 1200W PSU sold as 1000W (designed by an OEM called CWT)

One of the cards was split between the rails, so one rail had 3 of the 4 PCIe cables plugged into it, and the other rail had 1. Even still, the power supply was pulling over 800 (I believe close to 900) watts from the socket.
allinvain
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 30, 2011, 02:30:26 AM

One of the cards was split between the rails, so one rail had 3 of the 4 PCIe cables plugged into it, and the other rail had 1. Even still, the power supply was pulling over 800 (I believe close to 900) watts from the socket.

Nice, you got yourself one serious space heater there Smiley However I'd be concerned running the PSU at 80 to 90% rated capacity. I think that will shorten its lifespan.

Did you also try to underclock the memory on those cards? You can save 20-40 watts per card doing so.

Hey btw, checkout this picture to see how the rails are distributed on the HX1000W:

http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70317

allinvain
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 30, 2011, 02:34:29 AM

hmm well i had put in a fresh clean windows 7 with 11.4 cata and NO sdk, it seems fine but only for a couple of hours. im scared to logmein cus i dont wanna taint the testing. ill try out the psu on my other computer , but im afraid i dont have enough to overload it. i have 3 6990s but the third one wont fit into my computer case im gonna have to cut out a hole just for the third one.

thanks for your help though ill test the ram tomorrow and the cata if this problem persists. so far it has been running for an hour with no problem i only logmein once to start it up.

turns out i didnt need to use a dummy monitor with crossfire hope people make use outta this info.

glad someone made use out of this thread other than me.

ill give an update tomorrow so hopefully it can be useful

I don't think you necessarily need to overload it. Even with those two 6990s you aren't overloading it. Just put as much strain on it as possible in a different system to see whether the fault lies with one of the components of the other system or with the PSU.

Btw, have you tried using something like VNC or RDP instead of logmein? I would be surprised of logmein caused all this.

Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: