Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 05:05:53 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Built a Windows program to watch Bitcoin connections across the world  (Read 963 times)
kirkouimet (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 11:59:10 PM

My friend and I broke out some old school C++ and made a Windows app to see where our Bitcoin clients are connecting in the world:

https://i.imgur.com/F06soHl.png

It's called Graphical Network Monitor: http://www.graphicalnetworkmonitor.com/

We are looking for feedback on the program - is there anything we could add that could be useful?

We also want to sell it for Bitcoin, is the best option these days still Bitpay? Or maybe use Coinbase for checkout?

Best,

Kirk
Remember remember the 5th of November
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1011

Reverse engineer from time to time

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 11:59:57 PM

Will check it out, with my tools related to my sig.

BTC:1AiCRMxgf1ptVQwx6hDuKMu4f7F27QmJC2
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4228
Merit: 4490

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 01:33:51 AM

i smell trojan just by looking at it

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Remember remember the 5th of November
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1011

Reverse engineer from time to time

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 01:36:03 AM
Last edit: July 08, 2014, 02:01:18 AM by Remember remember the 5th of November

So far I didn't see such indication, emphasis on so far. But it was packed with UPX. I was looking for signs of...wallet stealing. The program does require a serial key, which is odd and pretty stupid.

BTC:1AiCRMxgf1ptVQwx6hDuKMu4f7F27QmJC2
franky1
Legendary

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 01:58:34 AM

So far I didn't see such indication, emphasis on so far. But it was packed with UPX. I was looking for signs of...wallet stealing. The wallet does require a serial key, which is odd and pretty stupid.
hopefully its just a map display showing nodes from the OP's machine. if its looking at node connections with the users bitcoin client, then it is hopefully just looking at network traffic and not communicating remotely outbound

so put simply, without having a bitcoin client running does it show results in which case, expect some outbound communications and inbound communications to get data.. (so check whats being sent isnt fishy)

or if the map requests you to open client for it to display results...then look into what outbound data is being sent via the mapping software. there should not be any outbound data because it should be grabbing the data locally, and has no need to communicate remotely.

Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
kirkouimet (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 02:17:23 AM

Ah yeah, the program uses Windows API calls to check which processes have created connections. We've got registration in there because we are trying to make it a paid app. If you have other programs open it shows them as well:

http://www.graphicalnetworkmonitor.com/screenshots/

It's not a trojan, just a simple tool we created to watch where programs are connecting to. I know it's not smart to take anyone's word for truth on the Internet so I appreciate you being skeptic about it. Happy to give out free licenses to anyone on the forum who wants them, just let me know.
franky1
Legendary

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 02:33:26 AM

Ah yeah, the program uses Windows API calls to check which processes have created connections. We've got registration in there because we are trying to make it a paid app. If you have other programs open it shows them as well:

http://www.graphicalnetworkmonitor.com/screenshots/

It's not a trojan, just a simple tool we created to watch where programs are connecting to. I know it's not smart to take anyone's word for truth on the Internet so I appreciate you being skeptic about it. Happy to give out free licenses to anyone on the forum who wants them, just let me know.

im not using it, sorry.

Bitcoin Magazine

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 03:44:46 AM

I like how it feels that my Bitcoin computer is a piggy bank

i am here.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: