Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 11:43:53 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Tips on how to explain Bitcoin to a complete noob?  (Read 2133 times)
Squidoogeek (OP)

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 01:59:27 AM

Okay, so a relative of mine who has never heard of Bitcoin in her life was asking me exactly how it worked. I tried explaining, but I'm not entirely sure she got it (or she was just refusing to comprehend what I was saying -- she does that sometimes). I suppose I could show her a few of the same videos I watched when I first heard about Bitcoin, but I'm not even sure she'd even really watch them. Any tips, guys?
Peter882

Activity: 543
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 06:24:10 AM

To getting her started, I would suggest you to help her download a thin wallet client, show her how to receive and send bitcoin payments, and help her make a wallet backup. Smiley

It is not easy to understand how bitcoin works technically, but for a general user, you don't really need to understand it that thoroughly.

Relnarien

Activity: 399
Merit: 257

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 06:42:21 AM

Here is how I would describe Bitcoin to someone who hasn't heard of it before but has a fair understanding of how computers and applications work:

Bitcoin is essentially digital money. It's like Paypal without being connected to a bank account. There is no website involved and all transactions are done via the Bitcoin software. Everyone using it can keep a copy of the blockchain, which essentially functions like an internal database of balances.

Obviously, I left out some information and oversimplified some others, but I think that's more than enough information to start with. A beginner can learn more about Bitcoin on his/her own more easily from that point on.

Save cryptography, mining and everything else for later on.
rohnearner

Activity: 350
Merit: 252

REAL-EYES || REAL-IZE || REAL-LIES||

View Profile WWW
July 08, 2014, 07:23:07 AM

Its not easy to explain  bitcoin protocol to someone new . but if the person who's asking the question has some IT background he might get it after few attempts to explain it. History of bitcoins is very well designed website to explain bitcoin history to someone.

Last month a friend of mine asked me similar question as he's preparing for competitive exams and bitcoin is trending all over the world so I explained him and was successful to explain bitcoins usage as currency but when it comes to mining its not that easy... its gets more and more confusing as they try to relate it with gold mining or mining of other precious metals , so it took me 3-4 days to explain it to him how exactly its done.

Squidoogeek (OP)

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 03:00:34 PM

Its not easy to explain  bitcoin protocol to someone new . but if the person who's asking the question has some IT background he might get it after few attempts to explain it. History of bitcoins is very well designed website to explain bitcoin history to someone.

Last month a friend of mine asked me similar question as he's preparing for competitive exams and bitcoin is trending all over the world so I explained him and was successful to explain bitcoins usage as currency but when it comes to mining its not that easy... its gets more and more confusing as they try to relate it with gold mining or mining of other precious metals , so it took me 3-4 days to explain it to him how exactly its done.

That's part of the problem. She has absolutely no technical background and I have trouble explaining technical topics to people who don't even know that a combination of "turn it off, turn it back on" and "Don't download that software unless you've actually heard of it and make sure you download it from the official website when you do" can solve a lot of computer problems. But thanks for the tips, guys.
buy4crypto

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

freecrypto.top

View Profile WWW
July 09, 2014, 01:06:21 AM

Here is how I would describe Bitcoin to someone who hasn't heard of it before but has a fair understanding of how computers and applications work:

Bitcoin is essentially digital money. It's like Paypal without being connected to a bank account. There is no website involved and all transactions are done via the Bitcoin software. Everyone using it can keep a copy of the blockchain, which essentially functions like an internal database of balances.

Obviously, I left out some information and oversimplified some others, but I think that's more than enough information to start with. A beginner can learn more about Bitcoin on his/her own more easily from that point on.

Save cryptography, mining and everything else for later on.

Well said.

Mining is the last thing people want to hear about. Once they already hear all the good stuff. Tell them about the other side of it Smiley

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
████ - freecrypto.top - btcinfo.top - DIGITAL CURRENCY DIRECTORIES - freeMonero.comfunbtc.xyz  ████
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
dothebeats
Legendary

Activity: 3682
Merit: 1353

View Profile
July 09, 2014, 09:51:44 AM

Explaining how bitcoin works to other people who doesn't know about it is hard. You must try explaining her the general idea on how bitcoin works and why people use it. If she wants to learn something more, try explaining how it is obtained and all the other technicalities involved. Then to make her more interested in bitcoin, try giving her a dollar or two for her to spend or keep.
TheJohn

Activity: 100

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 01:11:29 AM

Okay, so a relative of mine who has never heard of Bitcoin in her life was asking me exactly how it worked. I tried explaining, but I'm not entirely sure she got it (or she was just refusing to comprehend what I was saying -- she does that sometimes). I suppose I could show her a few of the same videos I watched when I first heard about Bitcoin, but I'm not even sure she'd even really watch them. Any tips, guys?

Show him the bitcoin video first then only explain, it should be easier.
bulbasaur_use_vinewhip

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 02:10:49 AM

Thanks for the informative posts everyone! I'm learning a lot
nexxan

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 10:11:31 AM

Show him the bitcoin video first then only explain, it should be easier.

I like to explain the whole mining situation like this...

people get 'paid' to record the transactions of other people.

making 'blocks' takes all the transactions from the last agreed upon event (another block) packages that shiz up and signs off saying... hai guys, this shit happened over here...
but to package up and sign off on those transactions they have to generate a fancy bomb looking ass stamp that gets even more intricate over time that everyone else is cool with...

that is why when a block reward is given... they also receive the transaction fees!

but then you gotta tell em that nowadays nobody on their own can be as artistic as required to generate those fancy looking stamps... they gotta get a whole room full of monkeys to work on their own part of it of the stamp
gondel
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1005

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 11:22:30 AM

Buy her a dinner or nice trip to abroad with BTC and she will think of Bitcoin other way Smiley
I tried several times explain to my wife what is BTC, but before you do not spend any BTC for her she will not realize exactly thinking of you as some mad hacker Cheesy
BR Wink
dadugan

Activity: 179
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 01:18:27 PM

To get someone into bitcoin, you will need to explain how money is created and why the system is evil.
Velkro
Legendary

Activity: 2296
Merit: 1014

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 01:31:38 PM

Tell him, "It's money of the future, if you don't read about it now, you will need to educate yourself later"
or
 "It's money of the future, if you don't read about it now, your kids will educate you when they learn about it in schools"
bitsmichel

Activity: 518

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 08:02:42 PM

Install a wallet for her, let her try to receive and send coins  Smiley That way is the most easy to understand it. She would understand a little bit about bitcoin from that, just enough to send/receive. If she is interested she will look up all the technical specifications on the web: decentralized networks, cryptocurrency etc.
If she wants to know more you could show her the paper, videos etc;

cech4204a

Activity: 252

12CDKyxPyL5Rj28ed2yz5czJf3Dr2ZvEYw

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2014, 08:59:30 PM

I have the same problems when my friends ask me WTF is Bitcoin and i have problems to explain it. There should be easy to read guide to bitcoin out there. Videos are simply not enough in details (3 min video can't explain me much).

Bitcoin is DEAD
Squidoogeek (OP)

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 11:06:25 PM

well, there isn't that much you can tell them

just tell about decentralisation, don't forge the pizza story, that's important! Smiley

The "pizza story?" Did I miss this one? Do tell. (And I like the faucet idea. I heard through the grapevine that there is such a thing as "faucet rotators?")
Coef

Activity: 882
Merit: 1000

Exhausted

View Profile
July 12, 2014, 07:39:16 AM

just tell about decentralisation, don't forge the pizza story, that's important! Smiley

The "pizza story?" Did I miss this one? Do tell. (And I like the faucet idea. I heard through the grapevine that there is such a thing as "faucet rotators?")

That is the greatest bitcoin trade of all time lol. Cheesy

Long story short, a bitcointalk user "laszlo" spent 10000 bitcoin (yes it is 10K btc) for a pizza in May 2010.
The original thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=137.0

Squidoogeek (OP)

View Profile
July 12, 2014, 04:21:57 PM

Long story short, a bitcointalk user "laszlo" spent 10000 bitcoin (yes it is 10K btc) for a pizza in May 2010.

ROFL I bet laszlo is regretting that! I sure hope he/she got some darned good pizza.
KeyserSozeMC

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

I'm dying.

View Profile WWW
July 12, 2014, 04:24:48 PM

I tell to people that BTC is a diamond inside of a rock.
The more people try to "break" that rock and take the diamond out, it becomes bigger ( rock, difficulty )

It always works

Hey, smexy. Don't waste your time. Time's precious.
Wusolini
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000

no need to carry heavy money bags anymore

View Profile
July 12, 2014, 05:35:19 PM
Last edit: July 12, 2014, 06:18:14 PM by Wusolini

Hi,

just say: IT'S BETTER  Cheesy

now seriously, I'm quite successfull saying that bitcoins vs fiat are same as e-mails vs classic post office and it works.

ROFL I bet laszlo is regretting that! I sure hope he/she got some darned good pizza.

no, he don't. I've caught him online some time ago, and he wrote he enjoyed his pizza, thats all. Immediatelly after that post one member sent him 1 BTC. Smiley,  very nice gesture.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: