Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 10:31:34 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Help me set up a merchant  (Read 1138 times)
BittBurger (OP)

Activity: 924
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 05:30:14 AM

In short:   Whats the quick, seamless onramp for a one time payment from a random person (who knows nothing about Bitcoin) to a Bitcoin account holder?

Okay I know BitPay, etc.   Here's the situation though ...

1)   Breeder of English Bulldogs in Ecuador (originally Miami but moved down there recently)

2)  Ships puppies to the USA and regularly loses $4500+ because people do chargebacks on their credit cards.

3)  Frothing at the mouth to simply tell people:  "Go to this page and submit a payment to me in Bitcoin"

This isn't possible, is it?

What about with the new Coinbase page.  Lets say he sets up coinbase.com/breeder989.   Can he say "Go to this URL and pay me" ?

Will coinbase allow a quick, simple, direct payment to be sent from someone's bank account?

In short:   Whats the quick, seamless onramp for a one time payment from a random person (who has no Bitcoins) to a Bitcoin account holder?

Does BitPay offer something?

This is supposed to be digital cash.  So it should be like someone pulling a wad of $100's out of their pocket and sending it.

onramps and offramps:  the achilles heel of Bitcoin.

Thanks for any advice.

Owner: "The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
View it on the Blockchain | Genesis Block Newspaper Copies
notaek
Legendary

Activity: 1268
Merit: 1009

View Profile WWW
July 08, 2014, 06:16:13 AM

I do agree that there is a bit of a hurdle when entering bitcoin from cash.  Unfortunately coinbase and bitpay don't offer the functionality you pose in your post. For someone to enter BTC they would  need to go through the coinbase verification processes.

Kenshin

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 06:18:45 AM

I do agree that there is a bit of a hurdle when entering bitcoin from cash.  Unfortunately coinbase and bitpay don't offer the functionality you pose in your post. For someone to enter BTC they would  need to go through the coinbase verification processes.

That is why localbitcoins is better and quicker.
notaek
Legendary

Activity: 1268

View Profile WWW
July 08, 2014, 06:46:08 AM

For general BTC buying?  Once you get verified for instant purchases on coinbase I would have to say that it is cheaper and more convenient than local BTC, although they both have their benefits.

franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4228
Merit: 4490

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 06:53:13 AM

if the puppy buyer is willing to pay buy bank transfer. just give them your bank details and you accept the dollars.

you will find that those that push for it to only be paypal or no deal at all.. you dont want those customers anyways because they are the scam artists.

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
July 08, 2014, 07:08:23 AM

As someone who has done their research I can tell you it's EXTREMELY difficult to have payments done from somebody wanting to pay in standard paper money, it may actually be easier in the long run for you to just switch to Bitcoin and demand everybody you deal with do the same, yes, that loses business, but in the long run there's no other option unless a company comes along and fixes this problem because I'd like to be able to do this for my Jewellery business as well.

I don't know about one time payments but the only thing I have been able to find is these guys https://coinvoice.com/ and I have no idea whether they are legitimate or not, they probably are because they demand a real business address to use but the only one I personally had was my home address and there's no way I'm going to let a company like that data farm me like that, Cryptocurrencies were invented because of exactly this kind of thing and people just aren't realising it yet.
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 07:36:52 AM

In short:   Whats the quick, seamless onramp for a one time payment from a random person (who has no Bitcoins) to a Bitcoin account holder?
He should set up a Coinvoice account. Then he'll be able to invoice customers in USD and receive the payments in BTC.

The situation you describe is exactly the problem it was designed to solve.

https://coinvoice.com/

Edit (missed Lethn's post)

I have no idea whether they are legitimate or not
They are legitimate. They are the company behind btcd and well-known programmers in the OpenBSD community.

They do the minimum amount of KYC they must do, and really are intended for businesses (which don't have any privacy anyway) instead of home users.
Lethn
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 08, 2014, 07:40:10 AM

I JUST POSTED THAT! >_<
justusranvier
Legendary

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 07:42:23 AM

I JUST POSTED THAT! >_<
Yeah. I was editing my post when you posted that ^.
Lethn
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 08, 2014, 07:44:44 AM

pffft lol Cheesy
BittBurger (OP)

Activity: 924

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 06:12:44 AM

He should set up a Coinvoice account. Then he'll be able to invoice customers in USD and receive the payments in BTC.

The situation you describe is exactly the problem it was designed to solve.

https://coinvoice.com/

Okay - how does this address the chargeback risk?   What if the customer does a chargeback to Coinvoice?   Is his BTC taken from him?   Why would Coinvoice want to take all the chargeback risk?   Seems like a bad business model for them.

Edit:  This doesn't address his concern.  They dont accept credit card payments.  Only wire, check, etc.   He could expect this from people as well.  Honestly I don't know why he doesn't.

Owner: "The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
View it on the Blockchain | Genesis Block Newspaper Copies
justusranvier
Legendary

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 06:16:39 AM

Okay - how does this address the chargeback risk?   What if the customer does a chargeback to Coinvoice?   Is his BTC taken from him?   Why would Coinvoice want to take all the chargeback risk?   Seems like a bad business model for them.
Coinvoice takes on the chargeback risk in exchange for a 3% processing fee.
Harley997

Activity: 266

View Profile
July 11, 2014, 11:35:17 PM

For general BTC buying?  Once you get verified for instant purchases on coinbase I would have to say that it is cheaper and more convenient than local BTC, although they both have their benefits.
You need to get to that point first. There are a lot of people that have had a lot of trouble getting coinbase to even accept their purchases of bitcoin. Once you are verified and have access to instant transfers then coinbase is very convenient.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PRIMEDICE
The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience @PrimeDice
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
keithers
Legendary

Activity: 1456

This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf

View Profile
July 11, 2014, 11:45:15 PM

I think there is a company that offers a service that is specifically designed for this...I can't think of the name of it off the top of my head, but I remember thinking to myself how good of an idea it was when I was reading about it...
Harley997

Activity: 266

View Profile
July 12, 2014, 01:58:44 AM

I think there is a company that offers a service that is specifically designed for this...I can't think of the name of it off the top of my head, but I remember thinking to myself how good of an idea it was when I was reading about it...
Bitcon ATMs do exactly this. People insert their cash and the machine prints out a receipt that people can use to transfer the newly purchased coins to their wallet.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PRIMEDICE
The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience @PrimeDice
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
joshraban76

Activity: 252

View Profile
July 12, 2014, 04:54:25 AM

Until now I would have recommended localbitcoins which imo does get expensive with western union charges but coinvoice seems to be exactly what you need. I honestly never knew it existed. I am glad I read this thread...bookmarked Smiley

\   \  \ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\◥◣◢◤//////////////// /  /   /
Win88.me ❖ Fair, Trusted Online BTC Gambling ❖
/   /  / ////////////////◢◤◥◣\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \  \   \
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: