Bitcoin Forum
July 08, 2024, 04:18:20 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why can't the Bitcoin development be more like Linux?  (Read 1786 times)
bluemeanie1

Activity: 280
Merit: 257

bluemeanie

View Profile WWW
July 08, 2014, 06:24:42 PM

it surprises many to learn that those protocols you mentioned were not developed in an 'open source' fashion, most of them were developed at DARPA.

-bm

Just who IS bluemeanie?    On NXTautoDAC and a Million Stolen NXT

feel like your voice isn't being heard? PM me.   |   stole 1M NXT?
jbreher
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1660

lose: unfind ... loose: untight

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 07:47:20 PM

So do you think modern altcoins are generally going to be better off starting from scratch with their own new codebase rather than forking bitcoin and modifying it?

Well, one thing is for sure - the world already has enough clone-/scam-/inflata-coins. If a new coin project isn't going to do enough innovative stuff that starting from scracth would be preferable, then why bother?

Anyone with a campaign ad in their signature -- for an organization with which they are not otherwise affiliated -- is automatically deducted credibility points.

I've been convicted of heresy. Convicted by a mere known extortionist. Read my Trust for details.
Brewins
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 09, 2014, 01:08:32 AM

Linux core: millions of lines of code. Really many different things to take care of(new hardware coming up, security, process scheduling, etc...)

Bitcoin core: some thousands of lines, main challenge is security and make hard for the bad guys do bad things. No worry about hardware, process scheduling, interfaces with component, etc...

For me the order size of the projects(bitcoin core and Linux core) is enough to make impractical for them being developed in similar manner.
hdbuck
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 09, 2014, 01:44:02 AM

monayyy ^^
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: