Bitcoin Forum
May 25, 2024, 07:22:51 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Google co-founder Larry Page thinks People Shouldn't Have to Work So Much  (Read 682 times)
ganabb (OP)

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 06:41:45 AM

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/google-founder-people-work/story?id=24450043

As a fellow developer, I have to say that's works in the short run but kills in the long run. Coding isn't something that can be done well 60 hours a week forever.

Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
July 08, 2014, 06:55:08 AM

No job can be done 60 hours a week forever, if people here are really honest with themselves how many times have they genuinely worked solidly for a whole day? I doubt many people could answer with a yes, I really enjoy my work and am working my arse off to get things done but unless I get obsessive my brain has a built in limiter for the length of work that I'm doing. Classic example is when I have an art lesson, I've decided never to draw on a day I'm doing one, this may sound ridiculous but whenever I draw outside the lesson my brain shuts down midway through the lesson and I physically can't work anymore, it's a bit like art block and I've started recognising what triggers it and to avoid it now so I'm more productive, if I go against this I find myself unable to physically draw and make the connection between my brain and my hand when I'm drawing images in my head.

I make up for this by working like crazy during the times when my brain is quite happy to keep going but even then unless I'm doing something really fun it tends to sort of cut off at a certain point, I can't work long stretches endlessly, this is why I'm on this forum so much in case you're wondering, because it's interesting enough and to do with my work so I just let my brain relax and chat to people until I can start work again.
Bitcoin Magazine

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 06:58:33 AM

as a fellow developer i got FIRED form my job by playing a stupid Mac Mini iTunes library in front of the whole crew, cause i didn't have any work to do.  and they didn't like mesh or ScarSymmetry

well they liked mesh.  they just hated all the heavy metal stuff.

i am here.
iopq

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 07:04:00 AM

Of the three people that I know that work for Google two are starting to get the glazed "dot.com death march" look in their eyes and are talking about leaving. The other has a healthy "meh, I'm showing up at 9 and turning off my phone and leaving at 5 - if they don't like it they can fire me" attitude.

So yeah, headline should be "Google Co-Founder is full of it".
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: