Bitcoin Forum
July 16, 2024, 02:27:40 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Worth mining and with this rig?  (Read 945 times)
skimmer333 (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 07:20:57 AM

Hi all,

I have an IBM x336 Type 8837 eServer 1RU(recently gifted). It's a Xeon 3.0Ghz with a 4Gb RAM.
I'm wondering if it is worthwhile trying/attempting to do any type of mining with either BitCoin or a different coin? i.e. Litecoin, PrimeCoin, DodgeCoin etc.
As you can probably guess, it doesn't have a video card, so I would be cpu mining.

Would it be worthwhile to even attempt to do some mining with this machine? It's sitting there doing nothing at the moment.

Also, was looking around and came across a suggestion to use middlecoin.com. Has anyone used this site before, and if it is worth mining with the above, would it then be worth using this site?

Cheers,
Skimmer.
ALToids

Activity: 519
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 08:00:19 AM

You could have made a few dollars a day on CPU centric coins 2 months ago.   Today you would be spending more in electricity mining than you could earn in coins.  So unless you have free electricity, no point in mining.
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4382
Merit: 3289

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 08:00:44 AM

Definitely not bitcoin. Maybe one of the CPU-only alt coins.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
ALToids

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 08:05:45 AM

Not really.  Look at all the previously CPU centric coins - they are all getting invaded by GPU miners.  Also the trading ratio of these coins has crashed over the last 6 months.  XPM for example went from 0.0069 to 0.00061 - a magnitude drop.  You could make a dollar or two daily in January, now you can't make a profit.
Peter882

Activity: 543

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 08:10:36 AM

Not really.  Look at all the previously CPU centric coins - they are all getting invaded by GPU miners.  Also the trading ratio of these coins has crashed over the last 6 months.  XPM for example went from 0.0069 to 0.00061 - a magnitude drop.  You could make a dollar or two daily in January, now you can't make a profit.

Interesting information. So the age of CPU mining is completely over even for altcoins now, right? Smiley

skimmer333 (OP)

Activity: 3

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 08:10:53 AM

You could have made a few dollars a day on CPU centric coins 2 months ago.   Today you would be spending more in electricity mining than you could earn in coins.  So unless you have free electricity, no point in mining.

I kinda have free electricity. I have to pay a fixed utility price a week, so may as well use it up Smiley

I've taken a look at the cpuminer on this forum (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=55038.0) and have that ready to go.
Just unsure on how to use it properly, or if it is to be used at all for coins like LiteCoin and PrimeCoin.  Which was why I thought about using that middlecoin website.

Cheers,
Skimm
ALToids

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 08:34:25 AM

You could have made a few dollars a day on CPU centric coins 2 months ago.   Today you would be spending more in electricity mining than you could earn in coins.  So unless you have free electricity, no point in mining.

I kinda have free electricity. I have to pay a fixed utility price a week, so may as well use it up Smiley

I've taken a look at the cpuminer on this forum (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=55038.0) and have that ready to go.
Just unsure on how to use it properly, or if it is to be used at all for coins like LiteCoin and PrimeCoin.  Which was why I thought about using that middlecoin website.

Cheers,
Skimm

Bitcoin started off with CPU mining in 2009.  It currently uses ASICs which are about 1 million times as powerful as a CPU.  Same thing for Litecoin, it started off with CPUs but then went to GPUs which are 100x as fast and now ASICs are arriving there too which are about 10X that of a GPU.  Same with Primecoin (XPM) - it started off with CPUs last year and went to GPUs this year.

You would make about 15 cents per month mining Primecoin.  You would not even make 1 penny a month mining Litecoin.  Even with free electricity unless a new CPU only coin comes out you can't make any money past a few cents - sorry you're late to the party Sad
#yolo

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 10:18:20 AM

You wouldn't be making profit in BTC IMO considering the current high difficulty and even the ASIC's aren't making so much now. Maybe a CPU currency -preferably new and not of the ones with an already-big network would do. But of course in that case that currency would be only a few satoshi's worth currently.

BitsBitsBits

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 10:21:44 AM

I have 3x r9 290x and even those aren't really worth it anymore.

I sometimes mine with them when new promising coins come out but usually sell them at a bad time and don't really profit that much.

I wouldn't have my hopes up for mining with gpu's anymore. Only thing you can do is blindly choose a coin you think will make it far in the future and mine it every day and hope that it will pay off in the end.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
⚂⚄ Pocket Dice — The real dice experience | Provably Fair | Free BTC Faucet ⚅⚁
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
BitsBitsBits

Activity: 168

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 10:22:14 AM

What I'm mining right now is Myriad since I believe the multi-algo will become really popular later on.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
⚂⚄ Pocket Dice — The real dice experience | Provably Fair | Free BTC Faucet ⚅⚁
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
BTCjefferson

Activity: 2

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 11:50:26 AM

I have 3x r9 290x and even those aren't really worth it anymore.

I sometimes mine with them when new promising coins come out but usually sell them at a bad time and don't really profit that much.

I wouldn't have my hopes up for mining with gpu's anymore. Only thing you can do is blindly choose a coin you think will make it far in the future and mine it every day and hope that it will pay off in the end.

Nowadays quite difficult for mining to be worth while. Probably would have to get hardcore equipment (TH/s) for a really really cheap price to be able to make any kind of decent money.
CounterStrike

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 11:58:56 AM

Hi all,

I have an IBM x336 Type 8837 eServer 1RU(recently gifted). It's a Xeon 3.0Ghz with a 4Gb RAM.
I'm wondering if it is worthwhile trying/attempting to do any type of mining with either BitCoin or a different coin? i.e. Litecoin, PrimeCoin, DodgeCoin etc.
As you can probably guess, it doesn't have a video card, so I would be cpu mining.

Would it be worthwhile to even attempt to do some mining with this machine? It's sitting there doing nothing at the moment.

Also, was looking around and came across a suggestion to use middlecoin.com. Has anyone used this site before, and if it is worth mining with the above, would it then be worth using this site?

Cheers,
Skimmer.

Yes, it is worth it if you mine CPU coin but be quick, it is going to go all GPU soon.
boymilk

Activity: 74

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 12:58:21 PM

Nobody has posted this link yet?

Hi all,

Cheers,
Skimmer.

Don't bother mining Bitcoin with your rig. CPU mining became worthless in the very early days of Bitcoin mining. GPU mining became worthless last year when ASICs hit the scene.

The same has happened/is happening with Litecoin. It was once mined by CPUs, then by GPUs. It's still mined by GPUs today but ASICs are coming out that are far more efficient and powerful. Soon it will no longer be profitable to mine Litecoin with even the most high-powered GPUs.

Your best bet would be to mine CPU coins. That is, coins which use an algorithm that can't yet be mined with GPUs because a GPU miner isn't available or coins where GPU mining provides little or no advantage. Check out the link that I posted above. The selection of coins that you can mine with your current setup is limited, but they do exist. For example, there is Bytecoin and Monero (both anonymous coins) and Riecoin (a coin very similar to Primecoin).

Once you have mined these coins, you can either choose to keep them - or trade them for bitcoins on an exchange.
Dannie
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 12:59:57 PM

Yes, it is worth it if you mine CPU coin but be quick, it is going to go all GPU soon.

Which altcoin is still CPU-only at the current moment?

tersagun

Activity: 280

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 01:19:38 PM

AFAIK none.
Even cryptonotes are mined by GPU's recently. You can try Boolberry, I believe it's still CPU only but not sure.
Dannie
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 01:27:23 PM

AFAIK none.
Even cryptonotes are mined by GPU's recently. You can try Boolberry, I believe it's still CPU only but not sure.

I knew that the CryptoNight algorithm has become GPU-mineable.
For Boolberry, here is what I found.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=639753.msg7455559#msg7455559
I don't see what the point of a GPU miner for BBR is. Wasn't BBR trying to differentiate itself from the rest of the Bytecoin clones by making itself heavily GPU resistant? Unless of course there already is a private GPU miner for BBR, and now it's just a matter of supplying a fair game.
This is problem for all new algos.They devs using they own gpu miners...This is the reason why I don't mine cpu coins.Boolberry devs are the scummers too.So many people just want to get easy monney here...

AFAIK the big BBR private miners are the cuda miner guys, not the BBR dev.
What you talking about?Are you in devs team?Or you get extra bbr por posting this  FUD?

He is not on the Boolberry team but what he posted is correct. Cbuchner1 publicly stated he has a Cuda miner. He will open source it once Boolberry has an open source stratum pool and cpiminer-multi based miner.

feina24h

Activity: 140

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 01:44:25 PM

you can mine monero,monero will rise and you can gain some $

Fair Launch, No Premine and Active Devs = Logicoin
MelodyRowell

Activity: 394

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 01:52:29 PM

None, all cpu coin has been attacked by GPU.

Activity: 77

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 02:42:52 PM

None, all cpu coin has been attacked by GPU.

At the moment, only a CPU miner exists for Riecoin (RIC). Don't know if there are any others like it however.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: