Bitcoin Forum
June 15, 2024, 03:51:08 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Have a "fired" day?  (Read 1978 times)
sana8410 (OP)

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 03:50:20 PM

Woman fired for saying 'blessed day'?

A bank teller claims she was fired from U.S. Bank for telling a customer to "have a blessed day."
http://www.cnn.com/video/data/2.0/video/us/2014/07/06/pkg-bank-teller-fired-for-saying-have-a-blessed-day.wxix.html
Bank clerk warned several times to keep her religious views to herself and to stop bringing religion up to customers. Finally she's fired and now she is suing the bank. This could be an important case in terms of religious rights and the rights of employers. Take a look at the short video and tell us what you think will happen.

RENT MY SIG FOR A DAY
pedrog
Legendary

Activity: 2786
Merit: 1031

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 03:57:15 PM

Fuckin' proselytizers, they're everywhere...

unpure

Activity: 169
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 04:05:03 PM

Can bank just fire anyone they don't like?
pedrog
Legendary

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 04:15:15 PM

Well, proselytize to customers is more than enough reason to get fired...

sana8410 (OP)

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 04:24:30 PM

Well depends on the employment contract that was signed,but this days it should not be legal to fire someone just because you don't like his face,or him as a person.....maybe they should put in the contract that the employ is not allowed to have an unprofessional talk or to use words like"bless"....

RENT MY SIG FOR A DAY
u9y42
Legendary

Activity: 2562
Merit: 1071

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 04:35:02 PM

In a perfect world, yes.

I'm not sure I like your perfect world all that much; "I didn't like your joke... you're fired" doesn't seem to me to do much for job security. Tongue

As for this particular case, yeah, she probably pushed the limits a bit too far; she had previously been warned not to do it, and there are probably laws against that type of thing in the work place, particularly when dealing with costumers. She is the "public face" of the bank after all.
robbyd86

Activity: 135
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 05:59:22 PM

They were likely just looking for an excuse to fire her.  I've seen a lot of good employees say questionable things, but they get away with it because they do good work.  If a terrible employee says something questionable, they get booted immediately, they just needed something concrete to boot them out the door.
Rigon

Activity: 994
Merit: 441

View Profile
July 09, 2014, 03:10:38 PM

Interesting how much language and how it is used is coming into play lately.  I'd have to give it some thought as to how this will be ruled on, and it would be a guess anyway.   I will say this; whenever some clerk says "Have a blessed day" to me, it irritates me.  While understanding the benign intent, I don't need a stranger's "blessing" on my day.

Maybe we should ask our Christians if they would appreciate "Go with Allah" from the convenience store clerk.
noviapriani

Activity: 350

View Profile
July 09, 2014, 03:15:15 PM

The thing is, "Have a blessed day" could be neo-pagan as easily as Christian. I have no objection at all to such a greeting - or to the Muslim one, for that matter. My philosophy is that if someone says "I'm gonna pray for you", even if they mean it in a mean spirited and judgmental way, the proper response is always "Thank you". Here's the thing with this story, though - she doesn't own or run the bank. She's an employee there. And if they have rules prohibiting employees from expressing religions greetings to customers, then she should respect that. If she was warned several times, and continued to do it, I have no problem with the bank manager firing her.

zolace

Activity: 364

View Profile
July 09, 2014, 03:15:46 PM

Interesting how much language and how it is used is coming into play lately.  I'd have to give it some thought as to how this will be ruled on, and it would be a guess anyway.   I will say this; whenever some clerk says "Have a blessed day" to me, it irritates me.  While understanding the benign intent, I don't need a stranger's "blessing" on my day.

Maybe we should ask our Christians if they would appreciate "Go with Allah" from the convenience store clerk.
Now who would have figured that you'd be irritated because someone said "have a blessed day"? I guess its safe to say you've never counted your blessings because that would mean thanking God.

I'm going to guess that her statement won't be viewed as religious and that demanding she not say it is a violation of her free speech. I would much rather have someone like her waiting on me than someone with a sour puss because she's never counted her blessings.

⚂⚄ Pocket Dice — Real dice experienceProvably Fair
Free BTC Faucet
⚅⚁
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Rigon

Activity: 994
Merit: 441

View Profile
July 09, 2014, 03:19:19 PM

Now who would have figured that you'd be irritated because someone said "have a blessed day"? I guess its safe to say you've never counted your blessings because that would mean thanking God.

I'm going to guess that her statement won't be viewed as religious and that demanding she not say it is a violation of her free speech. I would much rather have someone like her waiting on me than someone with a sour puss because she's never counted her blessings.
I think it would be safe to say you've never had a rational thought in your entire life.Yes and lets not say "God Bless You" when some sneezes either.
Wouldn't want to offend anybody.  Grin
sana8410 (OP)

View Profile
July 09, 2014, 03:35:40 PM

I wonder if the Christian bashing Muslim kiss ass liberals would be outraged if the convenience store clerk (nice stereotyping) got fired for saying "Go with Allah"? I think we all know the liberal double standard answer to that.

BTW, I'm no theologian but how is saying have a blessed day pertain only to Christians? I mean that sounds pretty generic to me.

For instance here is some of the definitions for blessed in the dictionary.
protect somebody or something: to watch over somebody or something protectively.
wish somebody or something well: to declare approval and support for somebody or something.
:  to confer prosperity or happiness upon.
to speak well of.
used in the phrase bless you to wish good health especially to one who has just sneezed .

RENT MY SIG FOR A DAY
noviapriani

Activity: 350

View Profile
July 09, 2014, 03:41:26 PM

I wonder if the Christian bashing Muslim kiss ass liberals would be outraged if the convenience store clerk (nice stereotyping) got fired for saying "Go with Allah"? I think we all know the liberal double standard answer to that.

BTW, I'm no theologian but how is saying have a blessed day pertain only to Christians? I mean that sounds pretty generic to me.

protect somebody or something: to watch over somebody or something protectively.
wish somebody or something well: to declare approval and support for somebody or something.
to speak well of.
used in the phrase bless you to wish good health especially to one who has just sneezed .

I'd feel exactly the same way - if the store had a policy against religious greetings to customers, and the employee refused to follow it, I'd take no issue with their being fired after several warnings. How would YOU feel, Freebird, if you were greeted every day  by a Muslim behind the counter who said to you Salaam Aleichem?

zolace

Activity: 364

View Profile
July 09, 2014, 04:01:30 PM

I think it would be safe to say you've never had a rational thought in your entire life.Yes and lets not say "God Bless You" when some sneezes either.
Wouldn't want to offend anybody.  Grin
Well lets take a rational and logical look at your statement nurse. It irritates you when someone says have a blessed day, therefore its logical to conclude "blessings" are religious and knowing how you hate religion you wouldn't not want those blessings. Or would it be logical to assume that you get irritated when someone tells you to have a blessed day but you gladly count your blessings even if it is religious?

⚂⚄ Pocket Dice — Real dice experienceProvably Fair
Free BTC Faucet
⚅⚁
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Ron~Popeil

Activity: 406

View Profile
July 09, 2014, 04:14:52 PM

to speak well of.

That would be national news complete with protesters and fatwas. We have become hypersensitive to perceived slights. US Bank can hire or fire whomever they want regardless of race or religion etc.

pedrog
Legendary

View Profile
July 09, 2014, 04:35:45 PM

to speak well of.

I don't get what liberalism has to do with this...

But if a muslin was proselytizing to customers the business would get so much complaints he would get fired in the same day, that's for sure.

And tell me nobody is buying she was fired for just saying "have a blessed day."

sana8410 (OP)

View Profile
July 09, 2014, 04:38:17 PM

The thing is, "Have a blessed day" could be neo-pagan as easily as Christian. I have no objection at all to such a greeting - or to the Muslim one, for that matter. My philosophy is that if someone says "I'm gonna pray for you", even if they mean it in a mean spirited and judgmental way, the proper response is always "Thank you". Here's the thing with this story, though - she doesn't own or run the bank. She's an employee there. And if they have rules prohibiting employees from expressing religions greetings to customers, then she should respect that. If she was warned several times, and continued to do it, I have no problem with the bank manager firing her.
I completely agree with . Why would I take offense when someone wishes me a good day no matter how it is framed. The problem seems to be she didn't stop with just that in spite of all the warnings from her boss. She got fired and I believe the courts will say it was justified. Its never a good idea to refuse to do what a cop or your boss tells you to do.

RENT MY SIG FOR A DAY
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
July 09, 2014, 04:50:09 PM

I admit, I feel like openly cringing when someone says "god bless you" but to actually fire someone over saying "Have a blessed day" is a bit much, it's like Fox News getting wound up about people not saying Christmas, get the fuck over it, it's not the end of the world.

The moment we start banning people or dictating employment or arresting them based on something they say is the moment we are living in an irrational and paranoid dictatorship.
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
July 09, 2014, 05:51:05 PM

She wasn't fired for her religious beliefs, she was fired for purposefully ignoring orders.  I would've fired her too; if I ask you to do X and you do Y, you have made yourself useless to me, ergo unfit for employment.  Then she lies about why she was fired, claims it was because she was religious, pulls out the discrimination card, and expects to be paid for not working there anymore like the business is her ex-husband.

In other news, feminists are outraged that businesses aren't hiring enough women. Kiss

Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
July 09, 2014, 07:23:09 PM

Fuck I must have been tired when I read this

Bank clerk warned several times to keep her religious views to herself and to stop bringing religion up to customers

Yeah, that doesn't sit well, she clearly was being evangelical about it, that's a bit like if I sat at a bank and kept on recommending customers use Bitcoin, in fact it would probably worse because it would be helping their competition Cheesy
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: