Bitcoin Forum
June 27, 2024, 01:43:50 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Laptop mines but HTPC/gaming pc doesnt?  (Read 1400 times)
minimaniac (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 05:51:47 PM
Last edit: July 08, 2014, 06:10:27 PM by minimaniac

Hello,

My sincere apologies. I am a complete novice and know my way around computers in a very basic way.

The story is that i registered with slushes pool, created a wallet and because i didnt understand those command prompt type things i am using guiminer.

Now I can mine fine on the laptop which has a Nvidia geforce GT 520m at about 9 Mhashs's which i read is pretty poor.

I have an average graphics card in my htpc which is Radeon HD6770. I simply downloaded guiminer to the htpc, typed in the miner login details on there and it sits about 130 Mhas/s.

The problem is that in the summary view of guiminer running on the htpc nothing is being accepted or showing as stale... where as on the the laptop if I come back after 5 minutes there will be a few shares and stales.

Am i missing something glaringly obvious?

Thanks for reading.
zhinkk

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 09, 2014, 12:31:02 AM

First of all, why even waste your time worrying about this stuff? Seems like you could be doing something beter than trying to earn pennies. Besides, I doubt you will ever be able to cash out at slushes pool with your 0.00001 BTC. Anyways, I'm assuming the guiminer isn't configured properly for your radeon card. I would probably recommend another miner program like sph-sgminer or cgminer with GPU support. But like I said before, it's not worth your time or effort or electricity or anything.
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 04:20:40 AM

I would suggest doing some math.  GPU's are harder and harder to profit.  Unless you have "free electricity" it will be very hard.
Loophole

Activity: 619
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 08:06:45 AM

Hello,

My sincere apologies. I am a complete novice and know my way around computers in a very basic way.

The story is that i registered with slushes pool, created a wallet and because i didnt understand those command prompt type things i am using guiminer.

Now I can mine fine on the laptop which has a Nvidia geforce GT 520m at about 9 Mhashs's which i read is pretty poor.

I have an average graphics card in my htpc which is Radeon HD6770. I simply downloaded guiminer to the htpc, typed in the miner login details on there and it sits about 130 Mhas/s.

The problem is that in the summary view of guiminer running on the htpc nothing is being accepted or showing as stale... where as on the the laptop if I come back after 5 minutes there will be a few shares and stales.

Thanks for reading.

With 140 MH/s (your htpc+laptop), you can get 0.0000042 btc (420 satoshi) a day on average.
IIRC the minimum payment threshold on Slush is 0.01 btc, so you need to mine 6.5 years to get a payout, assuming the difficulty remains constant.

Now, maybe you would reconsider your plan. Smiley

vm1990
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 08:52:50 AM

Hello,

Thanks for reading.

With 140 MH/s (your htpc+laptop), you can get 0.0000042 btc (420 satoshi) a day on average.
IIRC the minimum payment threshold on Slush is 0.01 btc, so you need to mine 6.5 years to get a payout, assuming the difficulty remains constant.

Just spend the time on bitvisitor and landofbitcoin you'll earn way more

notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 04:28:21 PM

Hello,

Thanks for reading.

Best bet is get new mining equipment (i suggest not GPU), or just buy BTC.
byt411

Activity: 798

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 05:43:11 PM

Hello,

Thanks for reading.

Best bet is get new mining equipment (i suggest not GPU), or just buy BTC.

No, don't buy mining equipment. Buy BTC directly, its price will rise, and mining equipment requires, time, effort, and money.
nwfella
Legendary

Activity: 1596

Well hello there!

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 06:19:17 PM

Hello,

Thanks for reading.
Firstly, mining anything on a laptop is generally a bad idea, you will likely burn it out fairly quickly.
Second, if you are going to mine on a laptop mining bitcoin at this point makes no sense at all.  If you insist on mining I would recommend you go with an X11/X13 coin to lower the wear and tear on your unit(s)
Third, I'm not familiar with htpc's personally but did you make sure you properly loaded the AMD graphics/sdk drivers?

¯¯̿̿¯̿̿'̿̿̿̿̿̿̿'̿̿'̿̿̿̿̿'̿̿̿)͇̿̿)̿̿̿̿ '̿̿̿̿̿̿\̵͇̿̿\=(•̪̀●́)=o/̵͇̿̿/'̿̿ ̿ ̿̿

Gimme the crypto!!
minimaniac (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 11, 2014, 04:28:34 PM

Thanks for the feedback everyone. If it wasnt for you id be wasting alot on energy.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: