Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 09:33:38 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: merged-mining.patch  (Read 1573 times)
markm (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
March 11, 2012, 05:52:06 PM

I have applied merged-mining patches to very recent bitcoin-git, in order to have a modern version of bitcoin upon which to base auxchains.

Maybe someone who uses something other than unix / Fedora can fix up the other makefiles as I only did makefile.fedora15 (which I still use even though I now run Fedora16) and makefile.unix

Also the stuff for qt maybe needs to be told about auxpow.h and auxpow.cpp too, I don't know as I only run daemons.

It is at https://sourceforge.net/projects/galacticmilieu/files/

as the gile merged-mining,patch

It is the output of

patch -c -r bitcoin-git newcoin

Where bitcoin-git is pulled from Gavin's git repo a day or two ago and newcoin is the same other than having had merged mining patches applied and conflicts in apply thing resolved (as best I could... if someone could check them that would be great...)

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Remember remember the 5th of November
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1011

Reverse engineer from time to time

View Profile
March 11, 2012, 07:56:27 PM

I thought that getmemorypool was the only thing necessary for merge mining to work. And i've been using 0.5.1 since 2 months for solo-mm.

BTC:1AiCRMxgf1ptVQwx6hDuKMu4f7F27QmJC2
markm (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 11, 2012, 08:49:21 PM

I thought that getmemorypool was the only thing necessary for merge mining to work. And i've been using 0.5.1 since 2 months for solo-mm.

Bitcoin only has the code for being the PRIMARY chain in merged mining.

In order to be an AUXILIARY chain, you need more code, which bitcoin itself doesn't seem to want to have, presumably due to a desire never to play second fiddle to some other chain(s).

To update an altcoin to be based on the latest bitcoin code, or to start a new altcoin based on latest bitcoin code, this patch is useful if you want to be able to merged-min your altcoin as an aux chain. If you base it on bitcoin code without adding this, like RUcoin did, you have to be the primary chain, which means you will not be able to include bitcoin itself into your merged mining mix.

I made this patch because there are many altcoins that could use an upgrade to the latest bitcoin code but that people mine as aux chains.

So basically I plan to take ths "newcoin" template and use it to make an updated, fully merged-mine-able altcoin, and then make another patch showing exactly what has to be changed when turning a bitcoin that has the above patch applied into an actual different coinchain.

Ny example actual different coin chain will probably be "PRGcoin", short for "PRoGressivecoin", which will be a coin whose block reward starts at one coin per block then increases by one every [some number of blocks].

That will give me a diff showing all the places where changes have to be made when making a minally different from bitcoin altcoin.

I will then be able to fairly rapidly make updates for all the altcoins that are basically hardly any different from bitcoin.

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Etlase2

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 12, 2012, 02:00:03 AM

So basically I plan to take ths "newcoin" template and use it to make an updated, fully merged-mine-able altcoin, and then make another patch showing exactly what has to be changed when turning a bitcoin that has the above patch applied into an actual different coinchain.

So what you're saying is, you want every new alt coin to be attacked by luke-jr? Wink

Ny example actual different coin chain will probably be "PRGcoin", short for "PRoGressivecoin", which will be a coin whose block reward starts at one coin per block then increases by one every [some number of blocks].

Are you actually intending to do this, or is this just for example?

markm (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 12, 2012, 02:10:37 AM

Probably just an example really. I want to add more and more chains to my merged mining to see just how many chains one actually could merged-mine all at once, so I need to whip up a bunch of them anyway.

Pretty much all the altcoins have more changes from bitcoin than just their name, port and IRC channel; even RUcoin that claimed to be an outright clone actually turned out to have changed the block rewards (giving out two million coins in block number one) so to make one whose only changes are those that any altcoin will need to make, without any that are specific to any particular altcoin, I need to make up a new one.

So actually even if I do end up making one with progressively increasing rewards I guess I will first just keep one that doesn't have even that much actual difference. Since the first goal is to make a diff showing the absolute bare essentials. In fact I probably will only change the name of the default directrory at first and not even worry abotu the purely cosmetic occurences of the name.

Where I am eventually headed with it probably is an altcoin kit that instead of having you put all the changes into a config file to be loaded at runtime has them in the make process so they are built into the executable. This is to make it easier to apply patches/pulls from bitcoin going forward, as making enough changes to basically create a new version multicoin might increase the chances of patches not applying cleanly. Though hey maybe I will end up just making another multicoin. I really don't know yet, I just want more things to merged mine to see how merged mining works out with more and more and more chains added to it and to update the existing altcoins to more-recent code.

-MarkM-

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: