Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What would be a better option
RockMiner R3 - 8 (19%)
Antminer S3 - 34 (81%)
Total Voters: 42

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: RockMiner Rocket box vs Antminer S3  (Read 4236 times)
FlutterPie (OP)

Activity: 177
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 09:02:31 PM

I was planning to buy the RockMiner Rocket box, but after looking at the Antminer S3 it looks like a better deal. What do you guys think?
CanaryInTheMine
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2352
Merit: 1060

between a rock and a block!

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 09:03:24 PM

I was planning to buy the RockMiner Rocket box, but after looking at the Antminer S3 it looks like a better deal. What do you guys think?
rocket is no longer available.  R3 is what's in stock from rockminer
FlutterPie (OP)

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 09:05:49 PM

What happened?
JoTheKhan

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 09:07:33 PM

What happened?

New Design
CanaryInTheMine
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 09:08:16 PM

What happened?
probably fine tuning their product line (new compnay).  also, R3 ships now, seems S3 will ship in 10-12 days from today, if ordered today.
FlutterPie (OP)

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 09:09:03 PM

What happened?

New Design

Same specs though?

If so, Antminer S3 or RockMiner R3
JoTheKhan

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 09:12:37 PM

What happened?

New Design

Same specs though?

If so, Antminer S3 or RockMiner R3

R3 and Rocket should be same Specs but R3 has a streamlined design IIRC
drmadison

Activity: 151
Merit: 110

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 09:31:43 PM

R3 looks decent enough...but higher price AND higher power usage than S3?
Not sure the 0.2btc is worth getting it 10 days sooner
FlutterPie (OP)

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 09:38:43 PM

I added a poll, so make sure to choose what you prefer. Please also add a comment on why you chose what you did.
CanaryInTheMine
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 10:06:02 PM

I added a poll, so make sure to choose what you prefer. Please also add a comment on why you chose what you did.
please don't take this the wrong way, but if one item ships immediately and another does not, you shouldn't be comparing them.  it's kind of useless in a way... it's like comparing a super short pre-order with in stock products.  very difficult to do.
FlutterPie (OP)

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 10:13:41 PM

please don't take this the wrong way, but if one item ships immediately and another does not, you shouldn't be comparing them.  it's kind of useless in a way... it's like comparing a super short pre-order with in stock products.  very difficult to do.

I understand,

Are you saying this though because people don't have the Antminer S3 yet, and they can get the RockMiner R3?
Cause I'm not worried about when I'll get it, it will be a few weeks anyways.
jonnybravo0311
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1023

Mine at Jonny's Pool

View Profile WWW
July 08, 2014, 10:18:58 PM

I went with the S3 and here's why:

1) Efficiency.  The S3 will consume less power (366 watts at the wall for 478GH/s).  I can run 3 S3s on a single EVGA G2 1300.  Only 2 R3s.
2) The R3 states it needs an rPi controller.  It doesn't state whether or not this is included with the purchase.  If it is not part of the unit, that's another expense out of pocket besides the power supply.
3) Price.  At 0.99BTC it's overpriced and you won't mine that difference back, even if you do get that R3 a week before the S3.

Jonny's Pool - Mine with us and help us grow!  Support a pool that supports Bitcoin, not a hardware manufacturer's pockets!  No SPV cheats.  No empty blocks.
CanaryInTheMine
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 10:20:07 PM

I understand,

Are you saying this though because people don't have the Antminer S3 yet, and they can get the RockMiner R3?
Cause I'm not worried about when I'll get it, it will be a few weeks anyways.
bitcoin moves too fast.  you will need to do a completely new assessment once you are ready, in a few weeks.  we will have a new difficulty by that time (or two) and the stock situation could change for both devices, so this is all hot air unless you are acting now.
CanaryInTheMine
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 10:21:12 PM

1) Efficiency.  The S3 will consume less power (366 watts at the wall for 478GH/s).  I can run 3 S3s on a single EVGA G2 1300.  Only 2 R3s.
2) The R3 states it needs an rPi controller.  It doesn't state whether or not this is included with the purchase.  If it is not part of the unit, that's another expense out of pocket besides the power supply.
3) Price.  At 0.99BTC it's overpriced and you won't mine that difference back, even if you do get that R3 a week before the S3.
I believe it does state whether it's included or not.  take a look
klintay
Legendary

Activity: 1775
Merit: 1032

Value will be measured in sats

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2014, 01:24:21 AM

The Rocket box was not very stable. Hash rates reported varied from 380 to 490 gh/s. Most did 430 GH. For example here is one unit I am mining with right now:

Nice average of 460+ gh/s

The R3 has advertised speed of 450 - 500 gh/s. I expect it to top that range from what i have been hearing from the Rockminer guys.
WheresWaldo

Activity: 210

View Profile
July 18, 2014, 06:08:23 AM

The RPI is included with the rockminer. Problem is the 2weeks the rocketbox already has been out mining while the new antminer s3 is still going to take 2-4weeks to make it into farms/homes.

Also, we don't know how much of a jump the difficulty will be in these two weeks, but for sure the antminer s3 is very power efficient.

∎               GAWMiners The Hashlet World's first digital cloud miner!
∎∎∎   No pool fees Instant activation Never obsolete Always profitable
DrG
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1035

View Profile
July 18, 2014, 09:06:59 AM

Since most of the Bitcoin income from mining comes during the first 3 difficulties, that 10 days of mining difference can be all that matters for profit vs loss.  If the difficulty jump is minimal it's not an advantage, if the difficulty jumps 25% the earlier mine wins.
goose20
Legendary

Activity: 1173
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 18, 2014, 02:17:04 PM

With the speed with which things change in bitcoinland, I'd take the earlier to arrive one over the later any day of the week.

Voted for the r3 accordingly.
Golph

Activity: 153

View Profile
July 18, 2014, 03:32:49 PM

Yes, S3 is a better deal but if you order now you might have to wait until end of the month.

Get Daily Free SIGNs before too late. SyeED5YaZeVPows6Zx9z1hJ7twNJrKLrJB
klintay
Legendary

Activity: 1775
Merit: 1032

Value will be measured in sats

View Profile WWW
July 18, 2014, 03:56:47 PM

Yes, S3 is a better deal but if you order now you might have to wait until end of the month.

yep R3 units (the better and more stable rocket box) are in-stock and shipping right now. By the time people get their antminers any difference in power consumption saving would have been lost by the impact of diminishing return
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: