Bitcoin Forum
June 14, 2024, 08:56:24 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin will rise and everything else will die?  (Read 1938 times)
thedarksun (OP)

Activity: 639
Merit: 251

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 10:16:03 PM

The recent time, bitcoin was regained some of its former value while nearly all other altcoins have been dumped. Will it progress this way and eventually take out all altcoins? LTC is dumping and can probably go down to the level of nmc and ppc. Have most people figured out that altcoins are mostly pump and dump?
BawsyBoss

Activity: 389
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 11:05:06 PM

Don't know about LTC specifically, but it is pretty common sense how most alts are pump & dump at this point. Have you actually seen any promising features of recent alts? Of course, some of them are probably staying alongside Bitcoin. I don't think LTC itself will be much of a problem.

Forever strong.
Argwai96
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1000

Thug for life!

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 11:13:12 PM

I remember the "alts are dead" period during the last bubble. Then, what happened? Yeah, things are different now, but I wouldn't assume death at this point. Remember LTC at .0075? Grin
theblacksquid

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 11:21:31 PM

There are certainly alts that will survive, granted they have features enough for us to bother with them. But, then again, given enough funding, the bitcoin core dev team can easily integrate the said features into the protocol.

Support Decentralized Commerce - OpenBazaar.org
Add some science to your mining!  GRIDCOIN
TECSHARE
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1958

First Exclusion Ever

View Profile WWW
July 08, 2014, 11:55:04 PM

Every time there is a Bitcoin boom inflating, the altcoins deflate like the ocean sucking in before a tsunami. This is all of the liquidity moving to the next big thing. After the next boom becomes a bust in BTC, people will diversify into the strongest alts. Look back at the charts and this is a similar pattern every cycle, the scale is simply growing.
Melbustus
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1003

View Profile
July 09, 2014, 12:54:59 AM

Long-run, there's probably room for 3 or 4 alts to have meaningful value; and unless someone comes up with a breakthrough similar in scale to bitcoin's breakthrough (eg, solving the decades old computer-science problem of distributed global consensus), all of them will likely have value < 1/10 of bitcoin's value.

So with something like ~400 alts out there now, and only a couple remaining long-run, yeah, it seems pretty obviously that money is going to leave the current crop of alts on average. But ~10% of bitcoin's market cap will probably slosh around in a sea of come-and-go alt coins for a while (years). Eventually some interesting features will emerge, some of which bitcoin will incorporate. Others that bitcoin can't or won't incorporate have the potential to develop into coins that can serve a niche and last more than a year or two.

But the clone/tweak coins are looking deader than ever. It was always obvious that they had no business attaining non-trivial value. Seems like other people are finally figuring that out (likely due to the new batch of "2.0" coins, plus the anon coins, plus the now-empirical fact that nothing is asic-proof).

Bitcoin is the first monetary system to credibly offer perfect information to all economic participants.
Torque
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 5069

View Profile
July 09, 2014, 01:17:44 AM

Have you actually seen any promising features of recent alts?
A more important question the altcoin lover geeks never seem to ask themselves is, "Have you actually seen anyone in the public care about any of these so-called promising features?"  The point is, Joe Public truly doesn't care, and never will care.  They just want a simple, universal digital form of money that works simply. Like Bitcoin. They truly don't care about any "extra" features built into the protocol, it's not a selling feature to the public.
theblacksquid

Activity: 182

View Profile
July 09, 2014, 01:33:46 AM

Have you actually seen any promising features of recent alts?
A more important question the altcoin lover geeks never seem to ask themselves is, "Have you actually seen anyone in the public care about any of these so-called promising features?"  The point is, Joe Public truly doesn't care, and never will care.  They just want a simple, universal digital form of money that works simply. Like Bitcoin. They truly don't care about any "extra" features built into the protocol, it's not a selling feature to the public.

I tend to agree with that line of thought,. but it's just so effing depressing if you put it that way, seeing the amount of effort going into Ethereum and MaidSafe.

Support Decentralized Commerce - OpenBazaar.org
Add some science to your mining!  GRIDCOIN
Fippy

Activity: 252

UNCLOAK™ - Cyber Threat Detection Powered by EOS™

View Profile
July 09, 2014, 03:03:48 AM

I think that there will probably by a small handful off altcoins that actually establish a stable value and staying power.

Although I strongly suspect that it will be not due as much to technologically advancing the features of Bitcoin, but rather by bringing something else to the table, and being useful as a smaller denomination or faster transacting altcoin.

Because of the community support alone I still suspect Dogecoin will outlast most alts, even if it never 'goes to the moon' in value. Likewise I think Vericoin has immense potential, due to the fairly open nature of the dev team, among other things.

Of course, any altcoin that lasts will have to manage to survive being pumped and dumped, probably more than once. That is probably the biggest hurdle.

UNCLOAK™ - Cyber Threat Detection Powered by EOS™
┨PRE-SALE  : 25th MAY - 25th JUNE ▌MAIN-SALE: 26th JUNE - 03rd JULY┠
LinkedIn Twitter Facebook Telegram Medium Reddit
aminorex
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1029

Sine secretum non libertas

View Profile
July 09, 2014, 03:09:01 AM

Last time, the alts were bogus, and only did the slingshot because of a "bitcoin is expensive" and "LTC=silver, BTC=gold" meme.

This time, there are actually useful alts.  I expect them to get the slingshot, and the scamcoins to wither.  The bar to rise above scamcoin level is rather high now.  Of course the bar to rise above perception as a scam coin is roughly 15 degrees skew to the bar to rise above actual scamcoin status, so some scams may slip through and some useful coins may be debarred from participation in the slingshot.

My own picks for this iteration:  XMR, Nxt, XCP.  All else -- "consign it then to the flames for it can contain naught but sophistry and illusion".

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.  Give a man a Poisson distribution and he eats at random times independent of one another, at a constant known rate.
twiifm

Activity: 784
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 09, 2014, 03:20:30 AM

You realize alts are just based on same code of bitcoin.  Bitcoin can't do anything that an alt can't do

Theres no fundamental difference.   Only difference is the amount of speculation.   If alts can crash so can bitcoin
freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
July 09, 2014, 03:27:02 AM

The recent time, bitcoin was regained some of its former value while nearly all other altcoins have been dumped. Will it progress this way and eventually take out all altcoins? LTC is dumping and can probably go down to the level of nmc and ppc. Have most people figured out that altcoins are mostly pump and dump?

Some coins will survive but only those that present enough innovation or changes to the infrastructure to be around in the future.
Smart Contracts, DAC's, Smart Property, Contracts for Difference those are the type of innovations in crypto that will lead the future.

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
Malin Keshar

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 09, 2014, 04:17:24 AM

The only ones that MIGHT survive long run are the ones that are both innovative AND that have a good user adoption. There are good technologies that died because of low user adoption, and I  think no coin without innovation can get and keep users.

I see no coin that have both, but there are few that have at least good innovations, so the vast majority will die and few may or may not survive.
Ron~Popeil

Activity: 406

View Profile
July 09, 2014, 05:10:08 AM

I think most alts will ultimately languish and go away. Litecoin is a nice coin but seems to be dead in the water. NXT has the most innovation of the alt coins but the same kind of stuff can be built on the bit coin protocol. PPC intrigues me as well but the developers seem to be asleep. 

dothebeats
Legendary

Activity: 3668
Merit: 1353

View Profile
July 09, 2014, 08:23:52 AM

Oh. I don't think so. Some people may be tired of using another altcoin but to others, they see it as an opportunity to make more money. With that, I don't think altcoins would "die" as you say it, it may be not that widely used but as long as altcoins have value in btc, speculators and investors would still take the risk just to make some nice profit out of them.
GangkisKhan

Activity: 141

View Profile
July 09, 2014, 09:03:44 AM

Don't know about LTC specifically, but it is pretty common sense how most alts are pump & dump at this point. Have you actually seen any promising features of recent alts? Of course, some of them are probably staying alongside Bitcoin. I don't think LTC itself will be much of a problem.

Because all the alt coin developers are acting this way. All just want quick profit and move on to another pump and dump coin.
Febo
Legendary

Activity: 2730
Merit: 1288

View Profile
July 09, 2014, 12:19:48 PM

You realize alts are just based on same code of bitcoin.  Bitcoin can't do anything that an alt can't do

Theres no fundamental difference.   Only difference is the amount of speculation.   If alts can crash so can bitcoin

Many alts can do much more then bitcoin can do. but that is just because evolution. Bitcoin have advantage of being first and had lots advertise. But lots of things works in favours of few altcoins.  99% of altcoins are rubish, seriously ones will slowly spreed and eat Bitcoin out.

Because all the alt coin developers are acting this way. All just want quick profit and move on to another pump and dump coin.

All dont act like that. Satoshi did not dump his 1 million bitcoins, he could and he still can. But some altcoins dont have Satoshi with 15% of coins mined in few hours, there si no options someone woudl dump coins he got for free and ruin price. There are much better coins out there then is Bitcoin you just need to find them Smiley
formula1

Activity: 26
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 09, 2014, 01:04:11 PM

Don't discount innovation in this space. Bitcoin will stay for a long time but there are promising alt. coins too.
BitcoinHeroes

Activity: 364

View Profile
July 09, 2014, 01:08:45 PM

Nah, Bitcoin will rise together with all the alt-coin.
Febo
Legendary

Activity: 2730
Merit: 1288

View Profile
July 09, 2014, 01:42:23 PM

Nah, Bitcoin will rise together with all the alt-coin.

99% of altcoins was made for fun. they will not stay.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: