Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 10:31:03 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: MtGox - too many connections  (Read 14122 times)
mewantsbitcoins

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 02, 2011, 11:18:33 PM

SmokeTooMuch do you honestly believe that was written by someone who launched ddos? I admit it was not terribly wise to post such nonsense and he did not help his situation by doing so, but I don't believe it could have been him.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
edd
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
May 02, 2011, 11:21:07 PM

It is very hard to tell from his mangled English, but I get the impression he endorses and encourages the ddos-ing but isn't claiming responsibility.

Still around.
SlaveInDebt

Activity: 699
Merit: 500

Your Minion

View Profile
May 02, 2011, 11:24:18 PM

It is very hard to tell from his mangled English, but I get the impression he endorses and encourages the ddos-ing but isn't claiming responsibility.

Likely right and to be honest I was glad to see it yesterday during the rush, that and CoinPal going down I feel saved use from a collapse.
However this last few hours have been unnecessary.

"A banker is a fellow who lends you his umbrella when the sun is shining, but wants it back the minute it begins to rain." - Mark Twain
SmokeTooMuch
Legendary

Activity: 860
Merit: 1021

View Profile
May 02, 2011, 11:25:50 PM

SmokeTooMuch do you honestly believe that was written by someone who launched ddos? I admit it was not terribly wise to post such nonsense and he did not help his situation by doing so, but I don't believe it could have been him.
I was convinced he did it, but only because I was sure to read the facts out of his posts.
But to be honest his English is even worse than mine so it all could be just an attempt to make a joke or something.
Currently I do not claim to know that he is behind the DDoS attacks. Could all be just a big misunderstanding. Hard to tell.

Only thing I know is Mt. Gox is still under attack or atleast some heavy load and if the intention is to bring it to fall, I can understand that and it should get openly discussed because I see the progressing centralization of our little decentralized currency here will become a big problem sooner or later.

Date Registered: 2009-12-10 | I'm using GPG, pm me for my public key. | Bitcoin on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/btc
mewantsbitcoins

View Profile
May 02, 2011, 11:32:02 PM

SmokeTooMuch that is exactly what I am saying. There is no proof that he did it and if you put yourself in his shoes you can understand why these angry posts were made.
Our emotional nature is our worst enemy. People's reputations are at stake and this community might lose valuable members because of such stupid misunderstandings. So lets not jump to conclusions.
BCEmporium
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 02, 2011, 11:38:04 PM

I was wondering if hanging the author of LOIC would count for aggression within the Anarchist handbook...  Roll Eyes

██████████████████            ██████████
████████████████              ██████████
██████████████          ▄█   ███████████
████████████         ▄████   ███████████
██████████        ▄███████  ████████████
████████        ▄█████████  ████████████
██████        ▄███████████  ████████████
████       ▄██████████████ █████████████
██      ▄███████████████████████████████
▀        ███████████████████████████████
▄          █████████████████████████████
██▄         ▀███████████████████████████
████▄        ▀██████████████████████████
██████▄        ▀████████████████████████
████████▄        ████████████████▀ █████
██████████▄       ▀█████████████  ██████
████████████▄       ██████████   ███████
██████████████▄      ▀██████    ████████
████████████████▄▄     ███     █████████
███████████████████▄    ▀     ██████████
█████████████████████▄       ███████████
███████████████████████▄   ▄████████████

▄█████████████████   ███             ███   ███   ███▄                ▄███            █████            ████████████████   ████████████████▄             █████
███▀                 ███             ███   ███   ████▄              ▄████           ███████           ███                ███           ▀███           ███████
███                  ███             ███   ███   █████▄            ▄█████          ███▀ ▀███          ███                ███            ███          ███▀ ▀███
███                  ███             ███   ███   ███ ███▄        ▄███ ███        ▄███▀   ▀███▄        ███                ███           ▄███        ▄███▀   ▀███▄
███                  ███████████████████   ███   ███  ▀██▄      ▄██▀  ███       ▄███▀     ▀███▄       ████████████████   ████████████████▀        ▄███▀     ▀███▄
███                  ███             ███   ███   ███   ▀███    ███▀   ███      ▄███▀       ▀███▄      ███                ███        ███          ▄███▀       ▀███▄
███                  ███             ███   ███   ███    ▀███  ███▀    ███     ▄███▀         ▀███▄     ███                ███         ███        ▄███▀         ▀███▄
███▄                 ███             ███   ███   ███      ██████      ███    ▄███             ███▄    ███                ███          ███      ▄███             ███▄
▀█████████████████   ███             ███   ███   ███       ████       ███   ▄███               ███▄   ████████████████   ███           ███    ▄███               ███▄

|
  TRUE BLOCKCHAIN GAMING PLATFORM 
DECENTRALISED AUTONOMOUS UNIVERSES

HOME PAGE                                                                  WHITE PAPER 
|
CoinMan (OP)

Activity: 104
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 02, 2011, 11:51:40 PM

SmokeTooMuch that is exactly what I am saying. There is no proof that he did it and if you put yourself in his shoes you can understand why these angry posts were made.
Our emotional nature is our worst enemy. People's reputations are at stake and this community might lose valuable members because of such stupid misunderstandings. So lets not jump to conclusions.

I totally agree with this.  In my opinion btcex has had the misfortune of making a post when he was frustrated as a "joke" and it just so happened to coincide with a real attack.  I think many people are giving him too much credit to think that he could even mount such an attack in the first place.  Plus, if he's got any kind of entrepreneurial spirit he certainly knows what kind of backlash that would cause his business and I doubt he's here to cause his own biz to fail.  He should just tell everyone "in English" that he was mad, it was a joke, and that he does not really support this type of attack and everyone get over it.  This is all just an annoyance that needs to go away so I can get back to tradin' some coin.  Please.

CoinMan

My Bitcoin Identity
Bitcoin: 183DFFQXR4xCyseBXzmh3XWc22izDWE5Dw
dacoinminster
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1031

Rational Exuberance

View Profile WWW
May 02, 2011, 11:57:09 PM

Dang. Coinpal and Coincard are shut down, and now MtGox get's DDOS'd!

Because of uncertainties like this, I'm experimenting with selling bitcoins in a much more traditional way (on Ebay). See this thread for details:

http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=7072.0

The Script

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 03, 2011, 12:05:47 AM

SmokeTooMuch and Mewantbitcoins,

If this is a "joke" why did he say "this is not a joke".  And if he didn't do it, why doesn't he come out and say "I didn't do it, I was just mad"?  Did you read his posts?  He said "Let's attack Mt. Gox!  Here is a bitcoin address to donate to."  Someone replied "This is bad joke if it is one.  You are making me lose confidence in your business."  Bitcoinex then said:  "I'm sorry, but I am actually serious.  It's worth it because I'm/you/someone is losing money because of Mt. Gox.  I might even feel sorry, but this is what happens with autoregulation in anarchy.  Say goodbye (to Mt. Gox) in advance 'just in case'."  Then later he said something about quitting his DDoS attack which I seem to remember was about the time I was able to briefly access my Mt. Gox account again.  Perhaps he's just an angry person trying to capitalize on someone else's attack and these are just a string of coincidences.  But until there is proof otherwise, I'm going with the current facts and believing what he said.  Either way I don't want to associate with him, because either he's attacking Mt. Gox, or pretending to and lying about it.  Either way he's going to lose major respect.
mewantsbitcoins

View Profile
May 03, 2011, 12:09:16 AM

The Script,

Yes, I know that the on west a "professionals" hide the truth, lie at the same time smiling and looking straight into your eyes. Sorry, but I do not like this behaviour, I came to the community to participate in creating a better currency and not to deceive mistaken people.

Centralization of the exchange, the complexity of the withdrawal of money and accelerating inflation of the bubble - for understandable reasons what happens. I'm surprised that the attackers did not think to do it sooner. And I am glad that it did not happen the week after, when bitcoiny would cost $10 - I think that if I lived in the U.S. I am would have been killed in these circumstances. while the haters would give a damn about what I do not have relation with the attack.
jaybny

Activity: 410

Proof-of-Skill - protoblock.com

View Profile WWW
May 03, 2011, 12:11:16 AM

can someone tell e what his grip is with mtgox? maybe the DOS is warranted?

whats the deal?

p.s. i just wired 2k to mtgox today, hope I can get it back.

Protoblock turns knowledge of American football into Fantasybit coin, a margin token used to monetize leveraged skill.

https://twitter.com/jaybny/status/1022596877332762624
BitterTea

Activity: 294

View Profile
May 03, 2011, 12:16:29 AM

I was wondering if hanging the author of LOIC would count for aggression within the Anarchist handbook...  Roll Eyes

WTF. Yes, of course.
BCEmporium
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 03, 2011, 12:21:34 AM

WTF. Yes, of course.

Ah, damn! Since that junk came out now you get DDoS all around for any reason and no reason, now every lame in the planet can be "a h4x0r", even if he doesn't even know what that thing does indeed... "DDoS for the masses"  Tongue

██████████████████            ██████████
████████████████              ██████████
██████████████          ▄█   ███████████
████████████         ▄████   ███████████
██████████        ▄███████  ████████████
████████        ▄█████████  ████████████
██████        ▄███████████  ████████████
████       ▄██████████████ █████████████
██      ▄███████████████████████████████
▀        ███████████████████████████████
▄          █████████████████████████████
██▄         ▀███████████████████████████
████▄        ▀██████████████████████████
██████▄        ▀████████████████████████
████████▄        ████████████████▀ █████
██████████▄       ▀█████████████  ██████
████████████▄       ██████████   ███████
██████████████▄      ▀██████    ████████
████████████████▄▄     ███     █████████
███████████████████▄    ▀     ██████████
█████████████████████▄       ███████████
███████████████████████▄   ▄████████████

▄█████████████████   ███             ███   ███   ███▄                ▄███            █████            ████████████████   ████████████████▄             █████
███▀                 ███             ███   ███   ████▄              ▄████           ███████           ███                ███           ▀███           ███████
███                  ███             ███   ███   █████▄            ▄█████          ███▀ ▀███          ███                ███            ███          ███▀ ▀███
███                  ███             ███   ███   ███ ███▄        ▄███ ███        ▄███▀   ▀███▄        ███                ███           ▄███        ▄███▀   ▀███▄
███                  ███████████████████   ███   ███  ▀██▄      ▄██▀  ███       ▄███▀     ▀███▄       ████████████████   ████████████████▀        ▄███▀     ▀███▄
███                  ███             ███   ███   ███   ▀███    ███▀   ███      ▄███▀       ▀███▄      ███                ███        ███          ▄███▀       ▀███▄
███                  ███             ███   ███   ███    ▀███  ███▀    ███     ▄███▀         ▀███▄     ███                ███         ███        ▄███▀         ▀███▄
███▄                 ███             ███   ███   ███      ██████      ███    ▄███             ███▄    ███                ███          ███      ▄███             ███▄
▀█████████████████   ███             ███   ███   ███       ████       ███   ▄███               ███▄   ████████████████   ███           ███    ▄███               ███▄

|
  TRUE BLOCKCHAIN GAMING PLATFORM 
DECENTRALISED AUTONOMOUS UNIVERSES

HOME PAGE                                                                  WHITE PAPER 
|
randomguy7

Activity: 527
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 03, 2011, 12:48:08 AM

Can someone explain me in one sentence how LOIC is different to other (d)dos tools existing in for decades? Why "ddos for the masses"? Is it using some ultra simple gui maybe to allow every lowbob to use it?
mewantsbitcoins

View Profile
May 03, 2011, 12:50:02 AM

Can someone explain me in one sentence how LOIC is different to other (d)dos tools existing in decades? Why "ddos for the masses"? Is it using some ultra simple gui maybe to allow every lowbob to use it?

Yes
niooron

Activity: 193

View Profile
May 03, 2011, 01:30:40 AM

Can someone explain me in one sentence how LOIC is different to other (d)dos tools existing in decades? Why "ddos for the masses"? Is it using some ultra simple gui maybe to allow every lowbob to use it?

Yes

You can also give control of your bandwidth to a remote operator. Hassle free voluntary botnet.
The Script

View Profile
May 03, 2011, 02:57:53 AM

The Script,

Yes, I know that the on west a "professionals" hide the truth, lie at the same time smiling and looking straight into your eyes. Sorry, but I do not like this behaviour, I came to the community to participate in creating a better currency and not to deceive mistaken people.

Centralization of the exchange, the complexity of the withdrawal of money and accelerating inflation of the bubble - for understandable reasons what happens. I'm surprised that the attackers did not think to do it sooner. And I am glad that it did not happen the week after, when bitcoiny would cost $10 - I think that if I lived in the U.S. I am would have been killed in these circumstances. while the haters would give a damn about what I do not have relation with the attack.

Ha ha, excellent.  Thanks for posting, I missed this one.  So in the west professionals lie and deceive but he is not like them.  He only lies about committing DDoS attacks on Mt. Gox and later retracts that statement when he feels too much pressure.  I suppose we'll never know now, whether he really is responsible, but either way he is a liar. 
SmokeTooMuch
Legendary

Activity: 860
Merit: 1021

View Profile
May 03, 2011, 08:16:48 AM

Your interpretation:
"I'm sorry, but I am actually serious.  It's worth it because I'm/you/someone is losing money because of Mt. Gox.  I might even feel sorry, but this is what happens with autoregulation in anarchy.  Say goodbye (to Mt. Gox) in advance 'just in case'."

Original quote:
I'm sorry but I'm afraid so is serious. It would cost less than to be owed +$100 every day.
Maybe I even feel sorry about it. But we want anarchy and autoregulation? This is it is.
Just in case, say goodbye in advance. With you it was good, bitcoiners is a great community!

I guess he means that the focus on Mt Gox is serious problem. And he points out to the low costs of such an possible attack.

But I'm really tired of definding him -.-
He should make an own thread and clearly state the things as they are.

Date Registered: 2009-12-10 | I'm using GPG, pm me for my public key. | Bitcoin on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/btc
The Script

View Profile
May 03, 2011, 08:19:38 PM

Your interpretation:
"I'm sorry, but I am actually serious.  It's worth it because I'm/you/someone is losing money because of Mt. Gox.  I might even feel sorry, but this is what happens with autoregulation in anarchy.  Say goodbye (to Mt. Gox) in advance 'just in case'."

Original quote:
I'm sorry but I'm afraid so is serious. It would cost less than to be owed +$100 every day.
Maybe I even feel sorry about it. But we want anarchy and autoregulation? This is it is.
Just in case, say goodbye in advance. With you it was good, bitcoiners is a great community!

I guess he means that the focus on Mt Gox is serious problem. And he points out to the low costs of such an possible attack.

He should start his own thread in the Russian forum and have someone with a good command of English translate for him.  Because we can debate about his vague English posts as long as we want.
CoinMan (OP)

Activity: 104
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 03, 2011, 08:41:35 PM

Your interpretation:

Original quote:

He should start his own thread in the Russian forum and have someone with a good command of English translate for him.  Because we can debate about his vague English posts as long as we want.

LOL, I can handle the translations.

My Bitcoin Identity
Bitcoin: 183DFFQXR4xCyseBXzmh3XWc22izDWE5Dw
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: