Bitcoin Forum
July 17, 2024, 04:39:27 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I want to contribute more to bitcoin, but I'm kind of an idiot...  (Read 753 times)
googlemaster1 (OP)

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 09, 2014, 04:39:13 AM

Hey guys,

So basically my issue is this:

I want to contribute more to bitcoin.  So far all I have been able to do is use part of my savings and income to purchase bitcoins and use them whenever possible.  I am not the crazy evangelist type, but I do try and explain it to people when asked, and I try to come off as normal as possible when discussing bitcoin.  For better or worse I have gotten about 10 people to buy bitcoin, and with one member of my family, we now try and one up eachother in hashpower (I will be over 3 th/s when Antminers ship Wink ).

I mine on a small pool, I run a bitcoin node, I buy bitcoin with every paycheck.  I do a ton of bitcoin transactions per week (at least 10), even if its just exchanging money with my girlfriend or roommate (both believers although my roommate just likes to buy on the dips)).  I do application and network security for a large corporation, and although its dry, my background has given me knowledge on how to explain bitcoin security to newbies and to really understand it as a technology.

My point is, I feel like I am working this lame job to support my bitcoin habit (the pay is unbeatable, and I just don't have the raw skills to get that anywhere else).  I feel like the very writing of this post makes me feel like a dumbass, but I have been tempted to pack up, take a flight to a developing nation, and opening up a bitcoin remittance shop.  I have big dreams, and they mostly align all with bitcoin, but I feel like I am limiting myself working at my current job and am missing out on getting to contribute something BIG to the bitcoin community.  Something that the COMMUNITY would be proud of, and something that can genuinely help people, not just some profit grab.  I am learning to program in Ruby, as I have some ideas for more small ways I can contribute in my free time, but I'll say this, if anyone is hiring for a bitcoin company, talk to me.  You won't find anyone more genuinely concerned with the success of bitcoin. 

I really shouldn't post when I've had a shitty day, BUT, here goes anyway, whoosh!

BTC: 15565dcUp4LEWe6KYT7tawMHFRL4cBbFGN
Eric2013

Activity: 102
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 09, 2014, 04:48:16 AM

hey mate, there are many ways to contribute. and every ppl need to work, they need the job to pay the bills? lol, so chill out, give some rest, dont need to be in the btc world everyday or everyweek. U should spend more time with ur family and friends:)
happycoins

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
July 09, 2014, 06:49:25 AM

Relax, take it easy. Small things help as well.

Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
July 09, 2014, 06:54:30 AM
Last edit: July 09, 2014, 07:06:23 AM by Lethn

I've said it before but what you could do which few people have done so far because it takes time and patience is buy up stuff wholesale that no other Bitcoin store is selling and then sell it yourself for a profit, all it would take is a website and a place to store all of the boxes.

My cousin actually did something similar to this but not through Bitcoin and he's making quite a lot of money, you might even make even more money because there are still very few online Bitcoin stores around, especially if you supply people with things that they want, there are game stores for example that are easily racking up sales.
Justin00
Legendary

Activity: 910

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 01:37:50 PM

You probably have already, but if not... post in services advertising your skills... perhaps work for free if you don't have much experience.
quite a few people lately sound like they have an idea and just need someone with basic web/lang skills to get started.

a few opportunities already Smiley

1Referee
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1427

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 01:45:13 PM

You already are helping bitcoin with your node, just relax a bit, and talking with people about bitcoin is also a good thing.

Letting people know that there is an alternative to how we do payments, etc is great! You can't do a lot more.

Just buy bitcoins from time to time, no need to buy bitcoin with every paycheck you receive, just buy low, hold, and ejoy Smiley
googlemaster1 (OP)

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 12, 2014, 06:00:40 PM

Thanks for all the great responses guys.  I was having just a poopy day to say the least.  I've calmed down a bit and have been considering throwing in some applications but I really want to focus on learning.  I'm continuing with learning and hopefully my skill level and idea spark will collide soon with a challenge I feel I can undertake.

Cheers!

BTC: 15565dcUp4LEWe6KYT7tawMHFRL4cBbFGN
commandrix

Activity: 798

View Profile
July 12, 2014, 09:29:32 PM

You're not an idiot, you're just somebody who needs new ideas and has already done pretty well by getting friends and family members involved. Maybe sometime when you have a lot of free time, you can earn some Bitcoin by picking up a little work in the Services subforum. Or maybe make some Youtube videos on topics that are obvious to people who have been involved in Bitcoin for a while but feels like looking through dense fog to newcomers who already understand the basics but want to ramp things up. It would be helpful if newcomers see that there's more to Bitcoin than just mining, speculating and the occasional bad news coming out of the mainstream media.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: