Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 01:24:11 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [2014-07-09] Mt. Gox CEO selling Bitcoins.com, will give some proceeds to burned  (Read 1250 times)
ganabb (OP)

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 09, 2014, 07:43:23 AM

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2452060/mt-gox-ceo-selling-bitcoinscom-will-give-some-proceeds-to-burned-investors.html

Mt. Gox was once the largest online exchange for buying and selling bitcoins, but was forced to file for bankruptcy earlier this year after a massive hacking incident, incurring debts of more than $63 million. Bitcoins.com has been owned and operated by Tibanne Co., Ltd., the parent company of Mt. Gox. It is different from the singular Bitcoin.com, which is owned by Blockchain, which makes a Bitcoin wallet app.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
CoinMode

Activity: 417

View Profile
July 09, 2014, 08:41:26 AM

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2452060/mt-gox-ceo-selling-bitcoinscom-will-give-some-proceeds-to-burned-investors.html

Mt. Gox was once the largest online exchange for buying and selling bitcoins, but was forced to file for bankruptcy earlier this year after a massive hacking incident, incurring debts of more than $63 million. Bitcoins.com has been owned and operated by Tibanne Co., Ltd., the parent company of Mt. Gox. It is different from the singular Bitcoin.com, which is owned by Blockchain, which makes a Bitcoin wallet app.

Here is the big problem. Why, in the bloodiest hell of all hells, was bitcoins.com created ALL THE WAY back in 2000? This is crazy. Somebody has been working on this project with a lot more resources and for a lot longer than some neckbeards in a basement could ever dream. You know, I once met a girl named Dorothy, last name was Arpa.
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
July 09, 2014, 10:53:12 AM

Here is the big problem. Why, in the bloodiest hell of all hells, was bitcoins.com created ALL THE WAY back in 2000? This is crazy. Somebody has been working on this project with a lot more resources and for a lot longer than some neckbeards in a basement could ever dream. You know, I once met a girl named Dorothy, last name was Arpa.

yes you can think that way. its possible. but it could also be possible that the Bitcoin in 2000 was not the bitcoin from 2009. maybe someone in 2000 thought, its a cool name for an ingame currency or something...
i also think that satoshi is not 1 person because the whole concept is to good to be true.

anyway, we will never know  Smiley

qwk
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 3542
Merit: 3411

Shitcoin Minimalist

View Profile
July 09, 2014, 11:20:39 AM
Last edit: July 09, 2014, 11:35:21 AM by qwk

Why, in the bloodiest hell of all hells, was bitcoins.com created ALL THE WAY back in 2000? This is crazy. Somebody has been working on this project with a lot more resources and for a lot longer than some neckbeards in a basement could ever dream.
There's a good explanation for that and the former owner of that domain has even given it here on these forums.
Unfortunately, he's given his report on the donator's sub-forum, which is why you can't read it.
I guess he'd rather not have his name and full story dragged out into the public, so we'll just leave it there.

Short story: he registered the domain for an entirely unrelated project where he just coincidentally chose the name "Bitcoins", he never finished that project, but held onto the domain name for a couple of years, always hoping to get back to it.
Once Bitcoin had become our beloved successful crypto-currency project, he was contacted by Mark Karpeles, owner of MtGox and sold the domain to him for an unknown amount of dollars.

If you're a donator, VIP or staff member, you may read the whole story over at The other Bitcoin Proyect (Year 1998).

Edit: I just noticed that part of the story is public over at https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=30786

Yeah, well, I'm gonna go build my own blockchain. With blackjack and hookers! In fact forget the blockchain.
#yolo

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 09, 2014, 01:26:51 PM

Bitcoin.com is better IMO but this one is sure to bring something back "not close to the hack BTC losses at all though". I am puzzled about them selling the domain as Mtgox not the ones responsible for liquidizing the company? I though they lost this kind of freedom when the filled for bankruptcy.

LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
July 09, 2014, 03:33:24 PM

Why, in the bloodiest hell of all hells, was bitcoins.com created ALL THE WAY back in 2000? This is crazy. Somebody has been working on this project with a lot more resources and for a lot longer than some neckbeards in a basement could ever dream.
There's a good explanation for that and the former owner of that domain has even given it here on these forums.
Unfortunately, he's given his report on the donator's sub-forum, which is why you can't read it.
I guess he'd rather not have his name and full story dragged out into the public, so we'll just leave it there.

Short story: he registered the domain for an entirely unrelated project where he just coincidentally chose the name "Bitcoins", he never finished that project, but held onto the domain name for a couple of years, always hoping to get back to it.
Once Bitcoin had become our beloved successful crypto-currency project, he was contacted by Mark Karpeles, owner of MtGox and sold the domain to him for an unknown amount of dollars.

If you're a donator, VIP or staff member, you may read the whole story over at The other Bitcoin Proyect (Year 1998).

Edit: I just noticed that part of the story is public over at https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=30786

so i was right, thanks for that info  Smiley

Ron~Popeil

Activity: 406

View Profile
July 09, 2014, 07:20:21 PM

Thanks a lot for ruining a good conspiracy theory.  Grin

How much does one need to donate to become a member of this exclusive donators sub forum?

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: