Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 07:25:50 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What Do Philosophers Do?  (Read 3355 times)
CEG5952

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

Buy and sell bitcoins,

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 12:53:01 AM

If you don't get bogged down by this obsession with "jobs" and "money" and all other things mundane and meaningless, you may find the work done by philosophers to be quite fruitful. And I consider that true for existential and metaphysical philosophers as well as those who analyze less abstract subjects like logic and symbology.

Really, the importance one places on the notion of philosophy, and certainly metaphysics, I think, boils down to the importance one places on the mundane. If you care only about money and other mundane pleasures, of course you will scoff at philosophers. You've set an arbitrary threshold for what defines meaning, that being the limits of your perception, of your static reality. But what is perception, but something radically subjective (by definition not truth)? People like to act like they know the world like the back of their hand -- they know nothing about nothing.

Anyway, I'm a nihilist in many senses. I think knowledge of truth is impossible by definition, at least for us lowly humans. Perception is everything -- and one's perception of the mundane being the only existing reality, the only important reality -- is simply one perception. One interpretation. It's the easiest road to take, so most take it.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ShameOnYou

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 04:15:47 AM

I had a friend that majored in philosophy in college. Yeah he is now in hotel management. Wink He makes good money and all, but I don't think there's much in the way of jobs. You're not gonna be a professor -- a billion and one people want that job.
dank
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1002

You cannot kill love

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 04:33:46 AM

They help evolve human consciousness.  The great are prossecuted or attacked for their abstract conceptualizations.

13oZY8zzWEp48XZpEEi8zSkYJF5AWR2vXc DMhYmNzMnU2Avgu7sF3GSDybHumj8XH8V8
Currently seeking plot of land to host 1,000,000+ person music festival
Dankmusic - Hear the impossible, feel the impossible, be the impossible dankmusic.org dankcoin.org
dipal

Activity: 63
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 10:36:49 AM

philosophers always think on any subject with multiple ways . They never believe any thing from one angle. They try to co relate all the stuffs

with God and good or bad Karmas. According to them everything happens for a reason and a super power is governing all activities of the earth

when they become graduate they try to become teacher and teaches philosophy
LostDutchman

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2014, 10:46:27 AM

philosophers always think on any subject with multiple ways . They never believe any thing from one angle. They try to co relate all the stuffs

with God and good or bad Karmas. According to them everything happens for a reason and a super power is governing all activities of the earth

They perpetuate superstition.

"Karma".

Corporations For Crypto
Protect Your Assets and Reduce Your Tax Liability With A Kansas Corporation!
We Demand Justice From BFL
Este Nuno
Legendary

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

amarha

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 11:30:21 AM

They perpetuate superstition.

"Karma".

'Real' philosophers trained in philosophy definitely do not do such things.

Anyone can call themselves a philosopher and attach any illogical superstitious ideas to the label of philosophy. But that doesn't make it true.
enhu
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1018

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 12:01:40 PM

I know someone who thinks he is a Philosopher.
what he do is have a bag of weed on is side and light up every now and then.

██████████ BitcoinCleanUp.comDebunking Bitcoin's Energy Use ██████████
██████████                Twitter#EndTheFUD                 ██████████
LostDutchman

Activity: 476

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2014, 01:42:53 PM

Sounds lke most of them.

Corporations For Crypto
Protect Your Assets and Reduce Your Tax Liability With A Kansas Corporation!
We Demand Justice From BFL
Gargulan

Activity: 231

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 02:42:01 PM

Most professors do the same thing.

CEG5952

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

Buy and sell bitcoins,

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 03:29:58 PM

Most professors do the same thing.

Bingo, haha. Most of the more intelligent people I've met in my life were weed smokers. I know people say things like this to make them look dumb, but... just not my experience.

RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 03:30:28 PM

They work at Starbucks.  Wink

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
ShameOnYou

Activity: 238

View Profile
July 11, 2014, 02:29:57 AM

They help evolve human consciousness.  The great are prossecuted or attacked for their abstract conceptualizations.

Totally. This thread is a case in point. Smiley

People can balk all they want at philosophy, but even on a personal level, I found that approaching existential questions with an open mind really helped me grow as a person, and helped to put things in perspective. Science offers little in the way of answers -- remember when scientists thought the Earth was flat? And when Newtonian physics was gospel? -- so the questions are worth asking.

But you need a day job. Smiley
beetcoin

Activity: 434

View Profile
July 11, 2014, 02:35:35 AM

i'm not even sure.. i hated my philosophy teacher in college, since he was kind of avant garde and just ranted about nonsense that no one else understood. it's probably just convoluted logical thinking about the ethos of man.
Este Nuno
Legendary

Activity: 826

amarha

View Profile
July 11, 2014, 07:59:46 AM

i'm not even sure.. i hated my philosophy teacher in college, since he was kind of avant garde and just ranted about nonsense that no one else understood. it's probably just convoluted logical thinking about the ethos of man.

Your school probably had a continental philosophy department. That's the outdated style. Modern analytical philosophy based on hard logic and attempting to understand what knowledge is(epistemology) is where most schools are at now.
ObscureBean
Legendary

Activity: 1148

View Profile WWW
July 11, 2014, 03:37:21 PM

Science and religion are not versatile enough to provide a credible picture of the universe we exist in.
Philosophy was created to provide additional padding in an attempt to rein in the inquisitive mind.
Basically philosophers are dreamers and they are important assets. They are sometimes used to provide possible explanations and connections in situations where the hard limits of science and religion make it difficult to have a satisfying answer through established ways  Grin
Essex343

Activity: 196

View Profile WWW
July 11, 2014, 03:39:05 PM

meh, i hated my intro to philosophy prof. he was a real douche, very rigid. that class scared me off from pursuing philosophy academically, which is a shame because it is a favorite pursuit of mine.

HarryT1923

Activity: 182

View Profile
July 11, 2014, 05:38:00 PM

Science offers little in the way of answers -- remember when scientists thought the Earth was flat? And when Newtonian physics was gospel? -- so the questions are worth asking.

you totally just blew my mind

I AM GOING TO MAJOR IN PHILOSOPHY NOW
beetcoin

View Profile
July 11, 2014, 05:46:51 PM

meh, i hated my intro to philosophy prof. he was a real douche, very rigid. that class scared me off from pursuing philosophy academically, which is a shame because it is a favorite pursuit of mine.

my teacher wasn't rigid, it's just that he didn't teach shit. i never learned about plato, socrates, or any other of the revolutionaries. all he talked about was the nature of man to play many characters.. most of that shit was incoherent. it was an easy A though.
Welsh
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3262
Merit: 4110

View Profile
July 11, 2014, 06:12:52 PM

Look at Dank. His posts are written in a 'philosopher' way. Although, some of us may find it frustrating, some might absorb their knowledge, information or bullshit. I believe philosophers are presenting you with a point, a view or opinion on something or someone. Or maybe they are sharing their knowledge and/or opinion or maybe their way of life. Basically, they speak and write about their perspective about objects, life and other shit.

They try to enlighten, Persuade, or guide.
beetcoin

View Profile
July 11, 2014, 06:29:57 PM

Look at Dank. His posts are written in a 'philosopher' way. Although, some of us may find it frustrating, some might absorb their knowledge, information or bullshit. I believe philosophers are presenting you with a point, a view or opinion on something or someone. Or maybe they are sharing their knowledge and/or opinion or maybe their way of life. Basically, they speak and write about their perspective about objects, life and other shit.

They try to enlighten, Persuade, or guide.

no that's bullshit, dank is not a philosopher.. it's more like new age spirituality tinged with psychosis.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: