Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 08:08:48 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  
Author Topic: We should have a humongous party in December to celebrate block #210,000  (Read 4249 times)
Atheros (OP)

Activity: 249
Merit: 251

View Profile WWW
March 12, 2012, 01:09:46 AM
Last edit: March 12, 2012, 01:20:06 AM by Atheros

A once-every-four-years party? That's bigger than new-years! Already people have counters up like at p2pmining.com counting down the days. Imagine the tension that would be in the room as we stare at a counter on the big screen knowing that at any second the block of the next era will be found. I think it would be exciting.

Six or eight blocks prior, two people can be assigned to stare at the counter (or a special program can be written) who yell "Block!" And everyone else yells back, "Hooray!"  Grin

Hopefully it will fall on a weekend. Culturally, if Bitcoin becomes very mainstream, everyone would take a de facto holiday.

BM-GteJMPqvHRUdUHHa1u7dtYnfDaH5ogeY
Bitmessage.org - Decentralized, trustless, encrypted, authenticated messaging protocol and client.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
March 12, 2012, 01:11:37 AM

Celebrate commerce with a day off?

No thanks. Let's go about our business as usual.
Atheros (OP)

View Profile WWW
March 12, 2012, 01:19:53 AM

Bitmessage.org - Decentralized, trustless, encrypted, authenticated messaging protocol and client.
Atheros (OP)

View Profile WWW
March 12, 2012, 01:23:34 AM

Thank You :-)

I just think that this technology is something to be celebrated and not just profited from. Shouldn't the light bulb and antibiotics be celebrated and their developers recognized? I certainly think so. The world would be much better off.

Kluge
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
March 12, 2012, 01:25:39 AM

Thank You :-)

I just think that this technology is something to be celebrated and not just profited from. Shouldn't the light bulb and antibiotics be celebrated? I certainly think so.
Celebrate antibiotics with commerce. Light bulbs are antiquated.

Life's not one big party. We're doing Satoshi's work.
Atheros (OP)

View Profile WWW
March 12, 2012, 01:26:30 AM

What is Satoshi's work?

Kluge
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
March 12, 2012, 01:31:48 AM

What is Satoshi's work?
Spreading the benefits of efficient economy everywhere possible. Allowing the impoverished to rise to lower-middle class, using the increased productivity to raise funds ensuring certain diabetics on this forum are able to use receive their insulin, expanding the capabilities and recognition of Silk Road, so those disabled by pain can function enough to provide for their family -- allowing those oppressed by their government to feel dignity for the first time, expanding a platform for artisans who know all about their product, and turning business as usual into something everyone takes pride in.

Lol, jk - let's get wasted!

Really, I believe Satoshi was pretty excited when he added emoticons to the forum. So, I guess we should use a lot of those in this thread.  Kiss
Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
March 12, 2012, 01:45:35 AM

Yes.  A block party

I'm in!

adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
March 12, 2012, 02:07:50 AM

Yes.  A block party.  

I'm in!

I'm new to this is a block party online or RL?  

rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
March 12, 2012, 02:11:49 AM

Yes.  A block party.  

I'm in!

Why not both? Hopefully by that time, all the neighbors will know what Bitcoin is, since the fed will have imploded in on itself.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
ForceField
aka Vitaliy

Activity: 386
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 12, 2012, 02:17:43 AM

Yes.  A block party.  

I'm in!

Why not both? Hopefully by that time, all the neighbors will know what Bitcoin is, since the fed will have imploded in on itself.

Block parties usually have contests, games, and prizes.

Although small, perhaps prize amounts of 210,000 Satoshi's would be appropriate for the occasion.

PC Hardware & Electronics For BTC     Traded w/: Kansattica | jduck1987 | shakaru | newdude | nitetrader | midievil | blo8i | mb300sd | juggalodarkclow | Garr255 | Tril | Ringmasta | SysRun | CrazyBlane | sokay | BCB | str4wm4n | PinkBatman | Bitobsessed | matauc12 | antimattercrusader | BryanK
ptshamrock

Activity: 484
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 12, 2012, 11:08:00 AM

Great IDea ! I will anounce a Block Party in Munich @ the local meetups Location !

"Money needs to be depoliticized, and the time has come for the separation of money and state to be accomplished."
evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
March 12, 2012, 01:42:12 PM

Great idea, definitely worthy of a party! Perhaps I'll organize one here in New England.
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
March 12, 2012, 02:04:05 PM

Celebrate a major drop in profits to all the miners, in the same way we celebrate the darkest and dreariest days of the year with Yuletide/Christmas/New Years? Sounds reasonable  Wink
ptshamrock

Activity: 484

View Profile
March 12, 2012, 06:36:27 PM

Celebrate a major drop in profits to all the miners, in the same way we celebrate the darkest and dreariest days of the year with Yuletide/Christmas/New Years? Sounds reasonable  Wink

I would take a Bet that the net Profit  ( $ / hour / ghs)  will be higher than today . All Factors included . ( Okay we should add an gold clause)

"Money needs to be depoliticized, and the time has come for the separation of money and state to be accomplished."
Red Emerald

Activity: 742

View Profile WWW
March 12, 2012, 10:43:41 PM

A Block party sounds like a great idea.

niko

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
March 12, 2012, 11:06:20 PM

I like the idea. We all deserve a break from worries, scams, attacks, lawsuits, coding, paranoia, business plans, profitability calculators, time-series analyses, and wishful thinking... Since it's going to be around December, we ought to consider the southern hemisphere, or at least the tropical belt. 

What's the region with relatively high density of Bitcoin users and nice climate in December?

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
Cosbycoin

Activity: 980
Merit: 506

View Profile
March 13, 2012, 12:38:33 AM

A once-every-four-years party? That's bigger than new-years! Already people have counters up like at p2pmining.com counting down the days. Imagine the tension that would be in the room as we stare at a counter on the big screen knowing that at any second the block of the next era will be found. I think it would be exciting.

Six or eight blocks prior, two people can be assigned to stare at the counter (or a special program can be written) who yell "Block!" And everyone else yells back, "Hooray!"  Grin

Hopefully it will fall on a weekend. Culturally, if Bitcoin becomes very mainstream, everyone would take a de facto holiday.

Nothing like a halving of block reward to get you to orgasm on the INTERNETS. LOL Grin
Cosbycoin

Activity: 980
Merit: 506

View Profile
March 13, 2012, 12:40:42 AM

Well now that all depends on if the price of bitcoin is plumetting, staying stable, or skyrocketing huh......future will tell us this while you keep staring in your picture...
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
March 13, 2012, 03:24:06 AM

Well now that all depends on if the price of bitcoin is plumetting, staying stable, or skyrocketing huh......future will tell us this while you keep staring in your picture...

If it's plummeting, that'll only be more reason to party harder.
It's too bad a block party will only last an average of 10 minutes.
Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  

Jump to: