Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 06:53:03 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANNOUNCE] btctip.com- send bitcoins with a tweet  (Read 13137 times)
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
March 27, 2012, 09:10:28 PM

I'm a bit confused. Just saw this:

Quote from: @jonmatonis
@AminCad Thanks! You can also tweet bitcoins to any one with a Twitter account: #btctip @jonmatonis 1 bitcoin @mrtruli

who's tipping who here?

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
March 27, 2012, 09:16:40 PM

Hmm, I just sent this tweet:

Quote from: @cotta3
#btctip @maxkeiser 2 mBTC hey max, just sent you 2 millibits via twitter, cool, aye?

Nothing shows up under "Activity History". What did I do wrong?

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
amincd (OP)

Activity: 772
Merit: 501

View Profile
March 27, 2012, 11:23:37 PM
Last edit: March 28, 2012, 12:53:30 AM by amincd

Quote from: molecular
I'm a bit confused. Just saw this:

Quote from: @jonmatonis
@AminCad Thanks! You can also tweet bitcoins to any one with a Twitter account: #btctip @jonmatonis 1 bitcoin @mrtruli

who's tipping who here?

I tipped @jonmatonis, and then he retweeted my tip tweet. He can't tip himself so it's safe to do.

Hmm, I just sent this tweet:

Quote from: @cotta3
#btctip @maxkeiser 2 mBTC hey max, just sent you 2 millibits via twitter, cool, aye?

Nothing shows up under "Activity History". What did I do wrong?

BTCTIP posted:

<em>@cotta3</em>'s balance isn't enough to finish transaction.

Do you have any BTC in your btctip account?

In any case, tips have to be at least 1 bitcent (10 millibits), so that wouldn't have worked.

*Edit, sorry, there seems to be a bug in btctip's reading of the "mBTC" variation of the millibit unit. It's reading it as "BTC". Please try using 'millibits' until this is fixed.

amincd (OP)

View Profile
March 28, 2012, 08:46:57 AM

Update:

The 'mBTC' bug has been fixed. 'mBTC' is read as millibits now, not bitcoins.

molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
March 28, 2012, 07:43:16 PM

Update:

The 'mBTC' bug has been fixed. 'mBTC' is read as millibits now, not bitcoins.

thanks, awesome. thanks for the generous tip, too.

I finally managed to tip someone (stacyherbert).

I think this is a great way to "infect" people.

now what happens if I send a tweet to two people like

hey @maxkeiser and @stacyherbert have some #btctip 100 mBTC

what would happen? does the "#btctip" have to be directly after the @[user]?

amincd (OP)

View Profile
March 28, 2012, 10:59:12 PM

Great, I'm glad it worked for you and you're welcome.

now what happens if I send a tweet to two people like

hey @maxkeiser and @stacyherbert have some #btctip 100 mBTC

what would happen? does the "#btctip" have to be directly after the @[user]?

You need to put the #btctip directly before @[user]. The ordering of the terms in the tipping command has to be: #btctip @[user] [amount] [unit]. The tipping command can be put any where in the tweet (e.g. beginning, middle, end).

Also, note that you can only tip one person per tweet, so if you include two tipping commands in one tweet, it won't work.
weex
Legendary

Activity: 1102
Merit: 1014

View Profile
April 15, 2012, 08:22:09 PM

Hey amincd,

One question is what happens if someone doesn't claim their tips? It might be good to display a message or list of past tips that are past some number of days and haven't been claimed (where claiming means logging in once since they were sent). Then it would be up to the tipper to ping the recipient again or you could offer a way to reclaim them.

-weex
amincd (OP)

View Profile
April 16, 2012, 02:29:54 AM

This is a great suggestion and is actually going to be implemented. What's going to happen is that if someone is not a member and doesn't sign in to claim their tip within 30 days of it being sent, they're sent another message informing them that their tip will be returned to the tipper unless they log in to claim it within the subsequent 10 days.
amincd (OP)

View Profile
April 25, 2012, 07:21:28 PM

I'm pleased to announce that at 6:00 PM PST today, btctip.com will be implementing a new feature which returns unclaimed tips after 30 days to the tip sender.

What this means is that if you send a tip to another Twitter user, and they don't become a BTCTip user (which happens automatically when they log in) within 30 days of the tip being sent, then the tip will be returned to you. If they are already BTCTip users, their tip is considered claimed whether they log in or not.

10 days before the tip is returned, @btctip will post a tweet alerting the tip recipient that they have 10 more days to log in before their tip is returned.

Please note, if you have received a tip 30 or more days ago through BTCTip, and have not yet become a BTCTip member, the tip will be returned to the tipper, effective 6:00 PM PST.

Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
April 26, 2012, 03:58:34 PM
Last edit: April 30, 2012, 03:46:57 AM by Stephen Gornick

After seeing what Chirpify is doing (providing a way for people with twitter accounts to sell stuff through tweets and then have chirpify take care of collecting the payment), I wonder if there is anything that BTCTip could do along the same lines.

(Incidentally, Chirpify just got $1.3 million in its first round of funding )

So right now, the primary use case for BTCTip is where a person with bitcoins gives bitcoins through Twitter to another person -- someone who might not even know what a Bitcoin is.

If the Chirpify concept were driectly adopted, here's what a solicitation might look like::
  "Selling used ATI 5870, for ~$145 worth of bitcoins.  Reply "bitcoinrocks" to buy for 29 BTC via @BTCTip http://pic.twitter.com/xxxxxx"

I'm not sure what Chirpify is doing to be able to monitor each @reply back to that user -- maybe they filter a feed from the Twitter firehose to monitor replies and take care of the transaction from there.  So to do what Chirpify is doing might be something a lot more complicated than it might seem.

But the take-away is that there is ecommerce that can happen through Twitter and BTCTip can help some of the ecommerce be paid for using Bitcoins.  So instead of just the BTCTip user sending out bitcoins, the user can request money as well.

Especially for digital delivery items:

"Today's market update podcast reviews AAPL's quarterly results.  Send 0.1 BTC via @BTCTip and we'll send it to you."

Or for real-world situations as well:

"Our shipment of the new widget has arrived.  Send 1 BTC via @BTCTip to reserve yours! #widgets"

That way the seller doesn't need to run any website, mess with any shopping cart software, upload to any third party site, etc.  And with the transaction the identity of the sender is known.

Anyone have any other ideas on how else Twitter and Bitcoin might intersect?

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

amincd (OP)

View Profile
April 30, 2012, 01:33:15 AM

Especially for digital delivery items:

"Today's market update podcast reviews AAPL's quarterly results.  Send 0.1 BTC via @BTCTip and we'll send it to you."

Or for real-world situations as well:

"Our shipment of the new widget has arrived.  Send 1 BTC via @BTCTip to reserve yours! #widgets"

This is a great idea. I'm going to look into it more closely.
Xenland
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1003

I'm not just any shaman, I'm a Sha256man

View Profile
May 02, 2012, 01:51:39 PM

Excellent Idea, This should help with the Network effect! Cheesy
weex
Legendary

Activity: 1102
Merit: 1014

View Profile
June 02, 2012, 11:16:14 PM

Just wanted to let people know that I got some of my tips back after 1 month since the recipient didn't claim it. amincd, you still working on this?
Vernon715

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 03, 2012, 04:09:24 PM

One problem that I see is that it is not anonymous.

Please donate: 1FfJzfpGCXD6saKqmMs8W1qt9wouhA98Mj

http://bitcoinpyramid.com/r/1642

Stephen Gornick
Legendary

View Profile
June 03, 2012, 09:22:01 PM

There's another thread for BTCTip and I just suggested the feature to address that:

Thanks!

If you have any recommendations on making the syntax clearer, please let me know.

Well, there's one other method.  Simply giving me the option to instead send a tip using a form on your site.

So I login, enter the amount and to which Twitter username to send the funds, you BTCTip takes it from there.

You could even give a checkbox -- Tip anonymously

That way the recipient gets your @mention and I never had to post any #btctip message that my followers had to read.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

amincd (OP)

View Profile
June 04, 2012, 06:39:00 AM

Just wanted to let people know that I got some of my tips back after 1 month since the recipient didn't claim it. amincd, you still working on this?

Thanks for reporting this. I haven't been working on it lately as I've been preoccupied with other things but I'm planning on doing another push soon.

Quote from: Vernon15

It's a problem if you want your donation to be anonymous. If you want some public recognition for your donation though, I think it's the best way available, since it gives it without giving away your bitcoin address.

Quote from: Stephen Gornick
Well, there's one other method.  Simply giving me the option to instead send a tip using a form on your site.

So I login, enter the amount and to which Twitter username to send the funds, you BTCTip takes it from there.

You could even give a checkbox -- Tip anonymously

That's a great idea, thanks for the suggestion.

Quote from: Andrew Bitcoiner
Great idea, good luck!

Thanks!
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

View Profile
June 29, 2012, 05:35:39 PM

There's a problem where if I'm retweeting, that doesn't mean I want to send payment too!

Here using @BitcoinNews I clicked the Retweet:
 - https://twitter.com/bitcoinmoney/status/218756094795857920

And BTCTip interpreted that as a request to tip.
 - https://twitter.com/btctip/status/218756622057619460

If I had sufficient funds in that account, they would have been taken and sent out as a tip.

That's probably not desired behavior. I believe the Twitter API allows you to know that what you saw is a native retweet and for BTCTip to ignore those.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

Xenland
Legendary

View Profile
June 29, 2012, 05:42:53 PM
Last edit: July 10, 2012, 05:47:22 AM by Xenland

I wrote down in my "List of things to do with Cheaper In Bitcoins dot com" to accept payments from twitter/BTCtip.com

Does this sound like a useful feature?

I imagine one would tweet the following

#btctip @[payee's Twitter username] [amount] [unit] [cib order id #]

Then cheaperinbitcoins.com would check by some means and approve of the transaction.
amincd (OP)

View Profile
July 10, 2012, 05:43:01 AM

Quote from: Stephen
If I had sufficient funds in that account, they would have been taken and sent out as a tip.

That's probably not desired behavior. I believe the Twitter API allows you to know that what you saw is a native retweet and for BTCTip to ignore those.

You're right, this is not a desired behavior. Thanks for the tip regarding the Twitter API and retweets, I'll look into it.

Quote from: Xenland

Then cheaperinbitcoins.com would check by some means and approve of the transaction.

Noted..
Xenland
Legendary

View Profile
July 10, 2012, 05:48:23 AM

Quote from: Stephen

You're right, this is not a desired behavior. Thanks for the tip regarding the Twitter API and retweets, I'll look into it.

Quote from: Xenland

Noted..

Well looks like you had nothing to disagree with which give me more confidence of my understanding of your service to integrate to CIB
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: