Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 06:29:52 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: feel like resigning cause my office environment is not smoking friendly  (Read 3081 times)
CEG5952

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

Buy and sell bitcoins,

View Profile
July 09, 2014, 07:20:09 PM

I smoke. I don't really give a shit if people have a problem with it. There you go -- problem solved. Stop giving a shit.

if you don't care about how you affect others in a professional environment, then i doubt anyone wants to work with you.

Haha. I deal with people's BO and stank perfume all the time. Does anyone give a shit? No. At some point, when slaving for other people's profit, you need to worry about yourself and prioritize your own needs. Frankly, I think people who complain about this stuff tend to be total assholes -- the type of people who can't enjoy life because they let everything bother them, and then bombard everyone else with their bullshit. "Oh my god! Someone smells like they smoke cigarettes! Oh my god!" Give me a break...

I could understand not caring about what other people think in the street or such, but in a professional work environment? You want to make sure you don't annoy coworkers or even worse, superiors.

Bro, we're not talking about smoking inside an office and blowing it in people's face. Ridiculous.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
murraypaul

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 09, 2014, 07:26:03 PM

is the OP serious? just wash your damn hands and mouth after smoking.

That will do nothing at all to solve the problem.
If you a reasonably heavy smoker, everything about you will smell of smoke.
You hair, your skin, your clothes, your shoes.
(You won't notice it, of course, in the same way that cat people don't realise that their houses smell of cat.)

BTC: 16TgAGdiTSsTWSsBDphebNJCFr1NT78xFW
SRC: scefi1XMhq91n3oF5FrE3HqddVvvCZP9KB
TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
July 09, 2014, 10:41:22 PM

What's more important?

1) Not being homeless
2) Your addiction

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
robbyd86

Activity: 135
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 09, 2014, 11:02:47 PM

From a companies standpoint it would be in their best interest to not hire smokers.  80%+ of smokers I've met are smoking a pack or two a day, and take many breaks throughout the day for smoking.  Even if it's a 5 minute break, you do that 6x (a low estimate for the smokers I've worked with) that's 30 minutes of company time, while every non-smoker is still working.  I don't mind the ones who just do it during the regular breaks, but if you need more time off because of an addiction, then I don't want you working for me.

Also, it does smell and quite disgusting to non-smokers.  I realize people develop this habit at an early age, or back when smoking was "cool", and that sucks, but when you're on the clock you should be working.
beetcoin

Activity: 434

View Profile
July 09, 2014, 11:10:23 PM

i can imagine him resigning from his position, because he feels unfairly persecuted as a chain smoker. yeah, forget about the financial dependents he may have, he has to quit because he must stand for his right to smoke cigarettes!
CEG5952

Activity: 658

Buy and sell bitcoins,

View Profile
July 09, 2014, 11:40:32 PM

Smoking is a filthy, disgusting habit.

While I support your right to inhale toxic chemicals (as long as others aren't forced to inhale your toxic smoke as well), I also support everyone else's right to tell you that it's fucking disgusting.

Is that how you go through life? People are disgusting for all sorts of reasons. Do I find it prudent or useful to tell them so all the time? Of course not. Some of you sound legitimately angry, which boggles my mind. How do you go through life being so judgmental? I just don't care to be so negative towards people. Live and let live...

TheJohn

Activity: 100
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 01:07:06 AM

My office I m smoker and the ladies sometimes will hint me don't smoke cause very smelly when I come back to the office .

You should stop smoking. You waste your health and money.
Justin00
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 01:21:44 PM

lol I was going to give advice but after reading this........ OP is amusing. keep smoking, I do Smiley

My office I m smoker and the ladies sometimes will hint me don't smoke cause very smelly when I come back to the office .

So let me get this straight, you lost $5k gambling and have a gambling problem now and you can't control your smoking and want to quit work?

Winner winner chicken dinner!

onlyu

Activity: 165

View Profile
July 12, 2014, 01:31:48 PM

While I support your right to inhale toxic chemicals (as long as others aren't forced to inhale your toxic smoke as well), I also support everyone else's right to tell you that it's fucking disgusting.

Is that how you go through life? People are disgusting for all sorts of reasons. Do I find it prudent or useful to tell them so all the time? Of course not. Some of you sound legitimately angry, which boggles my mind. How do you go through life being so judgmental? I just don't care to be so negative towards people. Live and let live...

Umm... the OP started a thread on a public forum. I didn't realize that posting an opinion in an existing thread was being "so judgemental". I assumed the OP was looking for opinions on the matter and thus created this thread!

I feel no anger when I say that smoking is fucking disgusting. I'm not afraid to tell people that they are slowly killing themselves by inhaling that toxic shit. Maybe reading the harsh truth will convince some smoker to quit and lead a longer, healthier life. Yet, I'll reiterate that I fully support someone's right to slowly poison themselves, if that's what they really want.

Is the lung on the left belong to around the same age as the lung on the right?
Baitty

Activity: 532

Currently held as collateral by monbux

View Profile
July 12, 2014, 01:34:50 PM

Umm... the OP started a thread on a public forum. I didn't realize that posting an opinion in an existing thread was being "so judgemental". I assumed the OP was looking for opinions on the matter and thus created this thread!

I feel no anger when I say that smoking is fucking disgusting. I'm not afraid to tell people that they are slowly killing themselves by inhaling that toxic shit. Maybe reading the harsh truth will convince some smoker to quit and lead a longer, healthier life. Yet, I'll reiterate that I fully support someone's right to slowly poison themselves, if that's what they really want.

Is the lung on the left belong to around the same age as the lung on the right?

Probably similar age. at least they are both fully developed. same size etc.

Currently held as collateral by monbux
Klubknuckle

Activity: 285

View Profile
July 12, 2014, 02:30:23 PM

You shouldnt resign because you are a smoker, but your boss should fire you instead..

commandrix

Activity: 798

View Profile
July 12, 2014, 02:55:19 PM

Which do you think will be more difficult, quitting that nasty habit or finding a new job? And how are you going to explain why you left your last job to a prospective employer?
josephliton

Activity: 644

View Profile
July 12, 2014, 03:15:02 PM

According to the WHO, the existence of smoke free work environments will increase the livelihood of employees.

elise

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 12, 2014, 03:29:42 PM

Smoking usually starts based on social friends, so if you have a friend who smokes its hard to even quit at all.

But that shows how much self-control you either have, stay grounded and say no I quit.

Also being in a environment that people smokes like at a club doesnt help at all too.
TheFootMan

Activity: 490

View Profile
July 13, 2014, 12:16:50 PM

Smoking usually starts based on social friends, so if you have a friend who smokes its hard to even quit at all.

But that shows how much self-control you either have, stay grounded and say no I quit.

Also being in a environment that people smokes like at a club doesnt help at all too.

Dicipline is like using an axe. The addiction is a rope, so you use the axe and cut it off, and then never retie it. The cravings will be bad in the beginning, and then gradually fade away. Any man or woman can do this, if they decide 100% to do it. Of course, smoker friends, people who do not support you, and going places where smoke occurs is out of the question.

Every day when we wake up we have a choice what to do, and every time we get a thought in our heads, we have a choice about what we want to do, when you feel like you need to take a cigarette and smoke it, chose to do something else, no matter what.

Then start eating healtier, and start doing some sports, yoga, lifting, walks, runs or something else. You will live longer, and be happier.

And sometimes the temptation can be just too big, and you smoke a cigarette anyway, that's not a failure, and the next time you have the urge, you again have a choice. You never fail until you stop trying. Smiley

And it would also be possible to take it gradually. Establish a baseline of cigarettes pr. day, and then reduce it with 1 pr. 3rd day or something similar, eventually you will be down to a few a day, and then quit it altogether. I'm more for the abrupt option, and just though it out, but people may be motivated by different ways to do it.

Of course, you could ask someone to fly you to a cabin in Alaska and pick you up 3 months later, unless you bring with you cigarettes, you are now cigarette-free, congratulations! Cheesy
TheFootMan

View Profile
July 13, 2014, 12:26:58 PM

I agree with this view. Although, most of the time I don't tell smokers that they're fucking disgusting to their face, that's considered unpolite and harsh, lol. But there's a good name for the cigarette: Cancer-stick.

Once I went past a lady and I said to her: "Well, so you're sucking your cancer-stick?". She became extremely upset about that, and went on about it being her choice and her life, and me not having a shitfuck to do with that.

Usually I don't say anything, but I always make my own reflections.

I think if someone got asked:

- Do you want to consume poison that will shorten your life and make your health worse on a regular basis?

They would say no. I think many who smoke do not reflect over the long term effects, but rather only lock at the daily habbit, and for them it's a comfort of sorts and they ignore the long term effects.

The science is clear, so what's left then in my opinion is human stupidity, or am I too harsh saying that?

A 30-year old who smoke today, probably do not reflect on the fact what long term damage this will have on his health when he's 70. Will he have Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease? Will he have cancer? Was it worth it? Is it fun to live with? These are the questions a smoker needs to ask himself.

Is combating stress with nicotine or the social smoking worth 1 year of your life-span, 2, 5 or even 10 or more? The mokers that chat and laugh by yourside now, will not be there with you at the hospital bed.
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2014, 12:33:51 PM

The science is clear, so what's left then in my opinion is human stupidity, or am I too harsh saying that?  

You don't say it to people's faces normally unless of course they're trying to publicly defend their bullshit, but this is what I think whenever I see a 'tragedy' reported by the news, In fact, I think it's proving Darwinism's theory of evolution, when you actually look at what these people are doing and how fucked up the situation is, they're pretty much digging their own graves. Take school shootings for instance ( I know I'm going to get hate for mentioning this but you should know by now not to read my posts if you hate this kind of thing ) yes, it was a terrible thing that happened, I wouldn't wish it on anybody, but this is what happens when you drive an obviously mentally unstable person into a corner, they're going to do something and I suspect that the schools were somehow responsible at least in their minds for triggering the reaction.

The same goes for any other 'accident' when you have someone who's fucking around near a cliff or goes swimming in a known dangerous area, if the person is dumb enough to go and do it the family members shouldn't be blaming other people for the consequences. My best one is when there was this news article about a guy in spain or something doing that bull killing they do over there ( I've totally forgotten the name of it sorry Cheesy ) and supposedly something went badly wrong and several people got injured or killed.

What kind of a moron do you have to be to piss off a bull in a tightly enclosed space exactly? I just don't have any sympathy for that kind of thing.
TheFootMan

View Profile
July 13, 2014, 01:10:06 PM

You don't say it to people's faces normally unless of course they're trying to publicly defend their bullshit, but this is what I think whenever I see a 'tragedy' reported by the news, In fact, I think it's proving Darwinism's theory of evolution, when you actually look at what these people are doing and how fucked up the situation is, they're pretty much digging their own graves. Take school shootings for instance ( I know I'm going to get hate for mentioning this but you should know by now not to read my posts if you hate this kind of thing ) yes, it was a terrible thing that happened, I wouldn't wish it on anybody, but this is what happens when you drive an obviously mentally unstable person into a corner, they're going to do something and I suspect that the schools were somehow responsible at least in their minds for triggering the reaction.

The same goes for any other 'accident' when you have someone who's fucking around near a cliff or goes swimming in a known dangerous area, if the person is dumb enough to go and do it the family members shouldn't be blaming other people for the consequences. My best one is when there was this news article about a guy in spain or something doing that bull killing they do over there ( I've totally forgotten the name of it sorry Cheesy ) and supposedly something went badly wrong and several people got injured or killed.

What kind of a moron do you have to be to piss off a bull in a tightly enclosed space exactly? I just don't have any sympathy for that kind of thing.

I think we think alike. I wish there was more people like you. :p

As for the school shootings, the last time it was a big one, I tried to say that the person doing it is not a mentally stable person and to avoid or minimize such situations in the future, one need to look at the root causes, and not treat the symptoms. Putting up metal detectors at all schools does not cure the problem, but it does deal with the symptom (bringing a weapon to school). If all schools were shut tight, and it was impossible to bring in a weapon, then the sick person would go elsewhere, for instance on the playground, a fotball game or wherever.

There are adults at these schools, and they should and could have an open eye for the misfits, those who stick to themselves, and those who seem a bit out of it. Those students should then patiently and consistently be approached by an adult which would aid in giving them a sense of belonging, and thus minimize the mental aspect.

I understand however that this is not an easy issue, but they key here which I think everybody should understand is that the solution to the problem is not advanced security measures and draconical rules, but rather making everybody feel that they're belonging and that their presence matters. Sometimes just a little bit of attention and love can turn someone around.

Kids are very easily affected, so a depressed loner who thinks of shooting all his classmates and himself one day, can be quite a happy person the next day if something positive happens.

I don't mind (not meant in a bad way) that idiots makes mistake and die from it, it's evolution at is finest. And all young people play dangerous games, and some more dangerous than others, and some do face the harsh consequences, there's nothing we as a society can do with that.

But I do think that society has a responsibility to shield the rest of the school-children from a school-shooter, and the way that's done is to have teachers use their eyes and senses and see which school-children or students that might seem a risk, and then these should be approached with understanding and love, not with punishment and exclusion.

I am not sure, but I can't imagine a school shooting ever done by someone that had a happy life. Perhaps there's some flukes about people watching a movie or playing a video game, and then forwhatever sick reason decides to go out there and make it happen, or people who are simply copycat, but I do think and hope that most people do have barriers as to what they can do, and that these barriers are nurtured by love and understanding, and at the same time eroded by hatred and exclusion.

It's still the school shooter's full responsibility as to what he did, but he can somehow be a product of the environment where he exist. If a teenager has a bad home, is not popular at school, gets bad grades, is not good at sports, is too inactive, hangs out with bad pupils or only keeps to himself, suffer from depression, has no luck with the girls, has bad eating habbits, stays up late etc. etc, I think many such factors can create a monster.

I think many of those monsters could be prevented from ever developing, having only one person in your life that actually do care about it can be enough to stay sane and grounded. I'm sure many teens get the feeling "that nothing matters, and I don't give a shit, nobody would notice if I was dead anyway, so why not go out with a bang when I decide to go out?"

And sadly, there are often reports of anti-social behaviour that's never acted upon, and then you have these shootings and disasters. And at the same time the anti-social students should not be alienated, so it's a fine line here. Being a teacher is an art, esp. if you're a great teacher.

Well, this was fairly off topic..  Shocked
merockstar

Activity: 203

BTS: merockstar420

View Profile
July 13, 2014, 02:14:17 PM

For health reasons it could be smart to stop smoking. Sorry, but I cannot feel sorry for you. This is something you have chosen to make a habbit, and it is most likely an external symptom of something internal. Did you read what smoking does to your health? Why not stop, and then buy some flowers to the ladies. They will love you for it.

Because quitting is a piece of cake for everybody  Roll Eyes
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2014, 03:16:06 PM
Last edit: July 13, 2014, 03:34:29 PM by Lethn

Well, this was fairly off topic..

LOL I kind of expected that kind of response when I was writing it >_<

To be honest, I think school shootings have become the new 9/11 before it was 9/11 that set Americans off really badly but now it seems to be the school shootings because they're more recent.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: