Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 04:10:00 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Mt. Gox CEO selling Bitcoins.com, will give some proceeds to burned investors  (Read 2689 times)
darkota

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 11, 2014, 09:53:17 PM

I agree with the sentiment stated so far in this thread. Although it's a nice sentiment, the domain name won't even come close to $750K. That particular name doesn't have any marketably unique draw to it in terms of a media location. And secondly, there are already multiple locations that serve as a hub in regards to bitcoin.

[As an example point of emphasis: if someone wants to look up bitcoins, he/she will more likely input the term into a search engine than type in bitcoin.com. So what would bitcoin.com offer that is worth $750K?]

bitcoin.com is worth way over 1million usd, as is bitcoin.org. bitcoins.com probably 500-600k

If you knew anything about how the domain market works, you'd know that one word, generic, domain names are worth incredible amounts of money.

Yes, quite a few people use search engines for domain names etc. But Most people still simply type the domain name into the url bar.

Think about it this way, would you rather go on a search engine to visit a website, or simply type that websites name into the url bar? Exactly, you would do the latter(type the websites name into the url bar) because it's way easier than having to go on google everytime you want to visit the website. That's what makes one word, generic, domain domain names like bitcoin.com/bitcoins.com Extremely valuable.
That's only if a domain term is either tied to something that draws popularity in the mainstream or provide significant business incentive. I don't see the term bitcoin providing that. What would a central-term like bitcoin.com provide fundamentally in terms of business return? What would be the profitable traffic-draw of a site like bitcoin.com?

After all, comparatively, how often do people go to bitcoin.org for information on bitcoin?

I see bitcoin.com having more benefit in terms of the novelty usage rather than the traffic usage. And unfortunately, that doesn't translate to as much in terms of domain auctions.

I'm not sure if you're joking.....or....

Bitcoin.com is a generic, one word, .com, domain name. It is the name of the first and most popular cryptocurrency in the world with a marketcap of 8billion(soon to be much more), if you don't see how that domain name is worth at least $5million, you don't know how the domain industry(any industry) works. Lmao. Bitcoins.com with an s is worth less, around 500k-600k, simply because it is the plural form of bitcoin.com

For EX: Think of Bitcoin(the currency) as a company, that's worth around 8billion. The name of the company is Bitcoin, and we all know that .com domain extensions are the most popular and widely known in the entire world. Now, the domain name bitcoin.com is hugely expensive, simply because of the company behind it. If Bitcoin was not widely known, then the domain name would be worthless. But since bitcoin is widely known, has a marketcap of 8billion usd, and is getting accepted in more and more places everyday, that makes domain names with the word Bitcoin, in them, are very expensive...

Also, type Bitcoin in google, the FIRST SEARCH RESULT is bitcoin.org, so that means they get the Most traffic out of any other bitcoin related website.
hellscabane
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 11, 2014, 10:33:23 PM

I agree with the sentiment stated so far in this thread. Although it's a nice sentiment, the domain name won't even come close to $750K. That particular name doesn't have any marketably unique draw to it in terms of a media location. And secondly, there are already multiple locations that serve as a hub in regards to bitcoin.

[As an example point of emphasis: if someone wants to look up bitcoins, he/she will more likely input the term into a search engine than type in bitcoin.com. So what would bitcoin.com offer that is worth $750K?]

bitcoin.com is worth way over 1million usd, as is bitcoin.org. bitcoins.com probably 500-600k

If you knew anything about how the domain market works, you'd know that one word, generic, domain names are worth incredible amounts of money.

Yes, quite a few people use search engines for domain names etc. But Most people still simply type the domain name into the url bar.

Think about it this way, would you rather go on a search engine to visit a website, or simply type that websites name into the url bar? Exactly, you would do the latter(type the websites name into the url bar) because it's way easier than having to go on google everytime you want to visit the website. That's what makes one word, generic, domain domain names like bitcoin.com/bitcoins.com Extremely valuable.
That's only if a domain term is either tied to something that draws popularity in the mainstream or provide significant business incentive. I don't see the term bitcoin providing that. What would a central-term like bitcoin.com provide fundamentally in terms of business return? What would be the profitable traffic-draw of a site like bitcoin.com?

After all, comparatively, how often do people go to bitcoin.org for information on bitcoin?

I see bitcoin.com having more benefit in terms of the novelty usage rather than the traffic usage. And unfortunately, that doesn't translate to as much in terms of domain auctions.

I'm not sure if you're joking.....or....

Bitcoin.com is a generic, one word, .com, domain name. It is the name of the first and most popular cryptocurrency in the world with a marketcap of 8billion(soon to be much more), if you don't see how that domain name is worth at least $5million, you don't know how the domain industry(any industry) works. Lmao. Bitcoins.com with an s is worth less, around 500k-600k, simply because it is the plural form of bitcoin.com

For EX: Think of Bitcoin(the currency) as a company, that's worth around 8billion. The name of the company is Bitcoin, and we all know that .com domain extensions are the most popular and widely known in the entire world. Now, the domain name bitcoin.com is hugely expensive, simply because of the company behind it. If Bitcoin was not widely known, then the domain name would be worthless. But since bitcoin is widely known, has a marketcap of 8billion usd, and is getting accepted in more and more places everyday, that makes domain names with the word Bitcoin, in them, are very expensive...

Also, type Bitcoin in google, the FIRST SEARCH RESULT is bitcoin.org, so that means they get the Most traffic out of any other bitcoin related website.
Sure, whatever you say... Roll Eyes

Look, I'm a strong believer in bitcoin, but I'm fairly confident that the domain won't fetch that much. As much as I would like it to, particularly since the proceeds go to those who got burned (assuming he's being truthful), I just don't see it.

You keep saying to think of this as a company. Well, bitcoin isn't a company. Nor is it trademarked. Those would be fundamental factors in raising the price for non-novelty reasons. I've taken a good look at the aggregates that have made up the largest sales in terms of domain names recently, and to me, bitcoin doesn't fall into that particular trendline. I look at the type of names that comprise the list of largest sales and bitcoin.com seems to fall in the second quintile rather than the first quintile.

Regarding your point on traffic, since you so conveniently make that point, you should also naturally know that bitcoin.org just barely squeaks into the top 10,000 in Alexa ranking. It's strong, but not correlatively million-dollar strong. And the fact that it's the strongest bitcoin-related traffic speaks even volumes more.

It would be nice if bitcoin.com sold for a lot as it would show where bitcoin is at this moment in time, but at this point in time I don't see it.
mgroenouwe

Activity: 67
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 25, 2014, 08:56:05 AM

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2457840/sale-of-mt-goxrelated-bitcoinscom-halted-after-court-order.html
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: