Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 03:20:15 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Brock Pierce launches "Realcoin" a dollar-backed coin that competes with Bitcoin  (Read 2645 times)
SpontaneousDream (OP)

Activity: 44
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 09, 2014, 12:56:58 PM

Short read. I hope this fails miserably. SMH

[Suspicious link removed]j.com/moneybeat/2014/07/08/dollar-backed-digital-currency-aims-to-fix-bitcoins-volatility-dilemma/

http://www.coindesk.com/brock-pierce-announces-dollar-backed-cryptocurrency-realcoin/
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
enter`name`here

Activity: 61
Merit: 1

View Profile
July 09, 2014, 01:05:04 PM

This has nothing to do with the bitcoin technology as the "block chain" is centrally managed, I.E. no mining. Forget about comparing this to bitcoin because they are not at all similiar, what would be the advantage of "Real coins" over USD in a bank account?
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
July 09, 2014, 01:09:37 PM

eh whatevs it's not so bad its using the MasterCoin protocol which uses Bitcoin, so really you need bitcoin for this to even exist.  so it can only help bitcoin.

however I don't like the name, implying that somehow other coins aren't real?

darkota

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 09, 2014, 01:31:03 PM

Anything made by that accused pedophile, Brock pierce, should be burnt.
Meuh6879
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1011

View Profile
July 09, 2014, 01:33:47 PM

Grin crypto-currency backed by FIAT ...

Mowcore

Activity: 592

View Profile
July 09, 2014, 01:34:28 PM

Yeah, it's a stupid name. It's hard to think this was the best name they came up with.

Humble Weekly Bundle.Pay What You Want. Redeem on Steam. Support charity. Pay with BTCitcoin now!--> Paypal Sad
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
July 09, 2014, 02:23:48 PM

Grin crypto-currency backed by FIAT ...

I'ld think of it as being something of a current account -- the same thing that customer deposits are referred to by banks, PayPal, Dwolla, etc. etc.

If this were a decentralized cryptocurrency (e.g., using proof-of-work), I don't know how they'll be able to get a money transmitter's license as they are said to be planning.  But this is on Mastercoin.

I don' know enough about Mastercoin to how how this will work.  Does the "issuer" (e.g., Realcoin, Inc/Ltd/???) have the ability to censor transactions, and/or reverse transactions?

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

Beliathon

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
July 09, 2014, 02:52:17 PM

Yeah, it's a stupid name. It's hard to think this was the best name they came up with.
It's the perfect name. Capitalists (read: scam artists) almost ALWAYS use language in this deceptive way, by claiming something is the exact antithesis of what it is in reality. This "RealCoin" is really a "fake coin".

For example, when Americans say "freedom", they mean "tyranny". Most Americans are blissfully unaware of that contradiction, though.

When PayPal calls themselves your "pal", they really mean "company that exploits you for profit".

When McDonalds calls its product "food", they really mean "poison".

Get it?

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
July 09, 2014, 03:18:37 PM

I don' know enough about Mastercoin to how how this will work.  Does the "issuer" (e.g., Realcoin, Inc/Ltd/???) have the ability to censor transactions, and/or reverse transactions?

I read the mastercoin whitepaper a while back.  I don't think so.

bigreddmachine

Activity: 193
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 09, 2014, 03:37:59 PM

It's the perfect name. Capitalists (read: scam artists) almost ALWAYS use language in this deceptive way, by claiming something is the exact antithesis of what it is in reality. This "RealCoin" is really a "fake coin".

For example, when Americans say "freedom", they mean "tyranny". Most Americans are blissfully unaware of that contradiction, though.

When PayPal calls themselves your "pal", they really mean "company that exploits you for profit".

When McDonalds calls its product "food", they really mean "poison".

Get it?

Not sure how serious you are being, but I wish you all the best in your journeys, and hopefully you find some reasons to trust society a little bit.  I don't know your life story, but something bad must have happened to turn your views so negative, and I hope that you are doing better now!
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 08:38:27 PM

I read the mastercoin whitepaper a while back.  I don't think so.

It will be interesting to see if they are successful at getting licensed as a money transmitter in the states where that's required.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

capoeira
Legendary

Activity: 2388
Merit: 1003

View Profile
August 24, 2014, 11:45:00 AM

"competes"Huh

today I want to move my assets form one xchange to another, but i'm in fiat and i don't want to buy BTC just to send my assets and than have to sell it again to be in fiat. A coin like this is realy necessary.

capoeira
Legendary

View Profile
August 24, 2014, 12:46:27 PM

community is stupid not to understand that it would be good for BTC to be able to send a "hedgeBTC".

we could trade BTC/Realcoin instead of BTC/USD

JorgeStolfi

Activity: 910

View Profile
August 24, 2014, 04:33:02 PM

community is stupid not to understand that it would be good for BTC to be able to send a "hedgeBTC".
Community is not stupid, its people like you don't understand that BTC want to leave the fiat and monetary currency standards.
Do not underestimate Brock Pierce.  Do not underestimate human stupidity.

Academic interest in bitcoin only. Not owner, not trader, very skeptical of its longterm success.
Spoetnik
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1011

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
August 24, 2014, 04:33:29 PM

just what we always needed.. yet MORE crap to trade Roll Eyes

FUD first & ask questions later™
capoeira
Legendary

View Profile
August 24, 2014, 04:54:24 PM

Community is not stupid, its people like you don't understand that BTC want to leave the fiat and monetary currency standards.
it's people like you that don't understand that THIS is the way out of fiat

Nullu

Activity: 532

View Profile
August 24, 2014, 04:56:38 PM

Not quite following this....so what does it do, exactly? Guarantee a floor value for each coin? Surely the coin is still volatile, as it's dependent on a single company's reserve funds?

Still, it's interesting. I imagine it'll be next to impossible to profit mine after an hour, though.

BTC - 14kYyhhWZwSJFHAjNTtyhRVSu157nE92gF
dreamhouse

Activity: 1073
Merit: 666

View Profile
August 24, 2014, 07:56:49 PM

Not quite following this....so what does it do, exactly? Guarantee a floor value for each coin? Surely the coin is still volatile, as it's dependent on a single company's reserve funds?

Still, it's interesting. I imagine it'll be next to impossible to profit mine after an hour, though.

I think all these are simply marketing terms, trying to boost the value of a shitcoin.
Nullu

Activity: 532

View Profile
August 24, 2014, 09:04:45 PM

I think all these are simply marketing terms, trying to boost the value of a shitcoin.

At best it creates a floor value, which is heavily dependent on a centralised reserve. Will the reserve increase? Decrease? How much is the reserve?

BTC - 14kYyhhWZwSJFHAjNTtyhRVSu157nE92gF
JorgeStolfi

Activity: 910

View Profile
August 24, 2014, 09:11:12 PM

At best it creates a floor value, which is heavily dependent on a centralised reserve. Will the reserve increase? Decrease? How much is the reserve?
I haven't seen anything about Realcoin after the announcement.  Either Pierce realized that it was a bad idea and gave up, or he is working quietly on it.

Academic interest in bitcoin only. Not owner, not trader, very skeptical of its longterm success.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: